Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Examples of

Convenient Logic

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
20-Jun-2020 20:18 Message #4784243
Convenient logic is everywhere, we see it on mse all of the time.
Quite often in political threads, people believe something, everything else is made to fit.

I used to work with someone that disliked cats, it was in the times when animal poo was everywhere.
If he trod in some, he always blamed cats.
One day he stood in a pile of poo, and started cursing cats.
I pointed out that the pile was very large, and could not be a cat.
But that did not stop him blaming the local lion!

Anyone have any examples of convenient logic?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
20-Jun-2020 21:14 Message #4784250
I don't see how "convenient logic" can exist.

According to one definition.
Reasoning is opinion but logic is down to critical thinking and science.

But it can be convenient for some to try to ignore the science because they don't like the factual conclusion because it trashes the argument that was based on their own reasoning.

The person who disliked cats just wasn't being reasonable and didn't want to consider the logic.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
20-Jun-2020 22:33 Message #4784254
Convenient logic is everywhere, we see it on mse all of the time.
Quite often in political threads, people believe something, everything else is made to fit.

You do see it especially on the political threads but is it convenient logic or something else.
Male
20-Jun-2020 22:47 Message #4784257
You mean, they know they are ignoring the logic?
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
20-Jun-2020 23:01 Message #4784258
I'm not sure. Maybe it's confused logic.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
20-Jun-2020 23:33 Message #4784264
I'm confused.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
21-Jun-2020 00:47 Message #4784269
is it a bit like self-fulfilling prophesy?

Leogirl.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
26-Jun-2020 12:53 Message #4784837
I think that logic is to do with sorting out one's mind. One has to be careful about when apparent contradictions are not contradictions.

Even if people were black and white without shades, the following are not contradictions.

I don't mind the slogan "Black lives matter".
(As long as it doesn't imply that White lives don't matter.)

I don't mind the slogan "White lives matter Burnley" towed behind a 'plane arranged by Jack Hepple.
(As long as it doesn't imply that Black lives don't matter.)
(If we ignore Hepple's other far-right leanings, I think it bad that:-
- the police considered prosecuting him about it;
- he has been banned for life from Burnley football club because of it;
- he has been sacked from his engineering job because of it;
- his girlfriend Megan Rambadt posted on social media "They need sending back on banana boats, stinkin b...s".)

And I don't mind Cambridge University professor Priyamvada Gopal tweeting "I'll say it again. White Lives Don't Matter. As white lives." (Twitter deleted it.)
(As long as she is trying to say that the colour doesn't matter. It's a more complicated argument than just black or white!)
Male
26-Jun-2020 17:27 Message #4784852
I am just wondering what Jack Hepple expected?
Quite a price to pay for going public with his views.
He could still have a job, now he is close to unemployable, all he had to do was not hire an aircraft,
and put his views on a banner.
Also this type of advert costs a fortune, completely ruined himself, and paid for it.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
26-Jun-2020 18:09 Message #4784854
White Lives matter.......A statement that some of us have said on here.....including myself.....

We churn out the usual stuff.....All lives matter.....etc etc etc.....but all this black crap makes people really upset and annoyed.....A typical thing with the black/white discrepancies....racism/reverse racism.....injustices from both sides.....call it all what you want....

Not to be able to say White lives matter is a disgrace.....if people are able to say Black lives matter.......

Why the hell are they allowed?..........and not us?......

Should anyone who has ever said White Lives matter be punished?......Arrested?......Shot?.......Ripped limb from Limb?......Fed to cannibals?

I'm proud to be White..........Stuff the PC brigade who are trying to make me feel ashamed to be White........

White Lives Matter........

Help with conversations