Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

All that Jazz

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
19-Jun-2020 08:35 Message #4784098
Fair to say I've never understood Jazz music, it's on a par with rap and lots of other non mainstream music to me.
I've often wondered though, is jazz the musicians music? it does seem technical stuff, and many musicians do seem to rate jazz musicians very highly, anyone care to enlighten me or give their opinion?

By the way, something very interesting I heard yesterday that might be relevant in these troubled times, a piece of classical music - a composer called Tunde Jagende and his composition Lamentation, if you can find it, read up what he said about the piece.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
19-Jun-2020 09:26 Message #4784102
Jazz is a bit of a mystery to me too. I remember Acker Bilk's Stranger on the Shore and being told that was jazz. Since then a few pieces have grabbed my attention but I wouldn't have known they were classed as jazz.
When asked what music people like you often see the reply "Anything but jazz" and I might have said that myself.
You might be right that it is the music of musicians and jazz does seem the most complex of genres .. at least it is to my not-musical mind.

I listened to Lamentation, the track not the album, which was relaxing and the sort of thing I would listen to on Classic fm.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
19-Jun-2020 10:22 Message #4784109
Ella Fitzgerald. What more can I say.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
19-Jun-2020 10:37 Message #4784112
Like most musical genres, it is like marmite, you either love them or hate them.

However, there are some which cross genres, like Acker Bilks Strangers on the Shore and enter the public at large's attention.

Trevor
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
19-Jun-2020 10:40 Message #4784113
In the world of Jazz....It would be good if there was a Gerald Fitzella as well......mix it up a bit....
Male
leonsea  Male  Hampshire
19-Jun-2020 10:43 Message #4784115
Jazz...….once described as a group of musicians enjoying themselves at the expense of the audience!
I would not agree with that of course, but it seems to be the only time the audience applaud at various
times throughout the same piece of music. Good thing that doesn't happen with an orchestra!
Male
19-Jun-2020 10:45 Message #4784116
I love The Fast show Jazz.....Nice....
Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
20-Jun-2020 08:58 Message #4784173
I close my eyes and listen to Dinah Washington to relax. There have been some great jazz singers and songs.
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
10-Sep-2020 23:13 Message #4791997
There are two specific types of Jazz - no-one has mentioned that in their posts so I take it they don't really like Jazz.

TRAD JAZZ (thats short for Traditional) is the fast 'dixie' music - er ... er ...trying to think of an example, oh what about When The Saints Go Marching In (fast upbeat style with plenty of sax and clarinet). Will try to find some on utube and post later.

MODERN JAZZ is a slow type of music, I would describe it as "dreary"
It usually starts off as the original music you would expect, say Summertime, or Autumn Leaves, then breaks into a long riff of dull music, which hardly anyone can understand except the player (!) and then after a while it returns to the original tune (Summertime etc). I hate ModernJazz
I love Trad (or Dixie) Jazz.

I would NOT say EllaFitz is a Jazz Singer but a Blues singer.

Hope that enlightens you.
Female
10-Sep-2020 23:19 Message #4791998
Go utube
New Orleans Dixieland on Street, OR
Trad Jazz 1953 to 1963 (watch Acker Bilk)

That's TRAD JAZZ

It's much better hearing it Live, not quite as effective on record.

Will try to find some Modern Jazz
Female
10-Sep-2020 23:26 Message #4791999
OK go utube :
Summertime - Modern Jazz Quartet.

This is typically Modern Jazz - slow,dreary, not very exciting but some people love it.

The Modern Jazz Quartet have a lot of videos on utube - if you can stand to listen to them you will get the idea.
Female
10-Sep-2020 23:58 Message #4792003
Forgot to say:
With Modern Jazz there is NO singing - just music, because you cant sing when someone is playing the "far out" part of the tune.

And that is why I say EllaFitz or DinahWash are BLUES singers, not jazz.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
11-Sep-2020 23:14 Message #4792070
Modern jazz, generally too discordant and lacking in pattern for me. Quite boring and puts me on edge. Some trad jazz perhaps, tho I tend more towards blues. Love a lot of latin jazz.
Notwithstanding the above, my musical taste crosses most genres. Though I have found the current charts offerings somewhat anodyne. And rap is not for me; the violence and anger in the sound and lyrics sickens me.
I have an ever increasing and substantial collection of West African music, specifically from Mali and some colourful Afro-pop. Very much into Cuban music of the 30s, including the much celebrated AfroCuban all stars aka Buena Vista social club.
Also a substantial collection of classical music and my Blues, Blues/Rock collection is ever expanding.
The Tunde Jende piece that you mention is beautiful. A surprising piece with violin, considering that he is predominantly a kora player and on youtube, the piece that follows is played on kora beautifully. I have a lot of music played on kora and seen some celebrated west African musicians playing this beautiful instrument at The Stables in Milton Keynes. Not 100% certain that I haven't seen Tunde himself playing there.
Female
11-Sep-2020 23:19 Message #4792072
btw, rather than modern jazz being the musician's music, I consider it to be self indulgent claptrap, in all honesty. A bit like the boring long guitar solos of so-called progressive rock that rattled on endlessly in the 70s and early 80s. The kind of stuff that the exceedingly boring Tony McPhee pumped out, someone that I was unfortunate enough to see live and one of only two concerts that I have ever walked out of.

Female
11-Sep-2020 23:29 Message #4792078
Here's a mix of cultures that you might find interesting, Terry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtiTfejYpgs
Ballake Sissoko traditional kora player from Mali and Vincent Segal, french cellist.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
11-Sep-2020 23:31 Message #4792079
That's interesting about the two types of jazz, it answers why there's some I like or can listen to whereas there's a lot I can't...thinking back on which I'd have to say it's been more trad jazz and it's the modern stuff prompted me to ask the question. Thanks for that Madness.

Guess Pink Floyd or Yes weren't your favourite bands then Minnie? :-)
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
11-Sep-2020 23:52 Message #4792083
I was introduced to jazz very late in life but, being an inventor, I love the unbound, freestyle nature of the genre.

To me, jazz, (when executed well), is unscripted improvised music akin to an actor ad libbing a part or a writer expressing prose; right off the hip, right there and then without any script or pre-defined structure.

I dare you to not appreciate the following. :-)

Obviously it is a 45rpm record so not improvised but ENJOY it nontheless.

Tony Kinsey & Christopher Logue. Red Bird Jazz & Poetry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?timecontinue=10&v=1z5Zvdw0zk&feature=emb_title

Put it this way. THIS was the actual tune / song / poetry that introduced me to jazz ... though I probably shouldn't have smoked that joint. :-)

Blew my mind! Ha ha.

And yeah, I started with Red Bird and got seduced onto Coltrane a bit later. lol
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
12-Sep-2020 00:04 Message #4792084
"When you say yes, a wren flies out and builds its nest in the skull of a dead horse." lol
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
12-Sep-2020 10:44 Message #4792120
Madness102. The Modern Jazz Quartet and George Gershwin's Summer Time, has to be felt. Slow yes, but far from dreary.

Improvisation all the way, intricate, slow and beautiful.
Female
12-Sep-2020 15:28 Message #4792129
You are probably right that I was never that much into Pink Floyd or Yes, Terry, although I've developed more of a liking recently. I admire David Gilmour greatly as a guitarist, but I really wish he wouldn't sing. He was an OK singer in his early years, but his voice has gone completely now and I find it uncomfortable to listen to.
Don't get me wrong, I love guitar and a big part of my music collection is based on electric guitar. It was just that in my teens and early twenties, I was more into Wishbone Ash and Deep Purple. I was also having a bit of a dip into Dixie rock in the 70s; Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allmans etc.
Female
19-Sep-2020 23:00 Message #4792788
Michaelt -

Just incase you don't know, Gershwin DID NOT write Summertime. A man named Dubose Hayward wrote it.

Gershwin only wrote the MUSIC. Music and words ("song") defo two different things.

If you want the full history go to Wiki for History of Porgy.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
20-Sep-2020 09:20 Message #4792808
Madness102, "Summertime" is a beautiful aria composed in 1934 by George Gershwin for the 1935 opera Porgy and Bess. The lyrics are indeed by DuBose Heyward, the author of the novel “Porgy” on which the opera was based, although the song lyrics are also co-credited to Ira Gershwin by ASCAP... ( American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers )..

The song soon became a highly popular and much-recorded jazz standard, described as "without doubt” one of the finest melodies George Gershwin ever composed.. ...

George Gershwin's highly evocative writing brilliantly mixes elements of jazz and the song styles of blacks in the Southeast United States from the early twentieth century".

Composer and lyricist Stephen Sondheim has characterized DuBose Heyward's lyrics for "Summertime" and "My Man's Gone Now" as "the best lyrics in the musical theater"....
Male
20-Sep-2020 09:57 Message #4792812
Jeez michaelt.....you can't even come up with your own words.....

Stolen from wiki.......What a 24 carat fraud you are.......
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
20-Sep-2020 11:31 Message #4792827
At least wiki makes sense. Often Michaelt parrots Maglorian LOLOL.

Help with conversations