Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Would you take the knee?

1 2 3 Next   Last  

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
18-Jun-2020 19:34 Message #4784063
Dominic Raab has caused a storm (on twitter at least) by saying the only people he would take a knee for are the Queen and his wife when he proposed. He said some other stuff and is basically now being called racist.
All the footballers playing in some match last night did it and they had BLM on their shirts instead of their own names, apparently BLM scored 8 goals and is now the player of the season!
Ironic that the Premier league banned images of the poppy on player's shirts a while back, but anyway that's football for you.
So would you take the knee? Do you think we all should?

I definitely wouldn't, for anybody, but then you probably already guessed that. What about you?...
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
18-Jun-2020 19:51 Message #4784065
Nice take on a controversial issue.
I think Dominic Raab is very unwise to make such statements.
But then again, he is one of the many simpleton politicians that the UK put up with.

He could have kept the opinions to himself, and had a successful political career.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
18-Jun-2020 19:55 Message #4784066
He might have been unwise to voice the truth of his opinion and maybe brave but he was right to speak up. Nobody should feel forced into complying with such an action I most certainly wouldn't but good luck to those who think it is a worthwhile gesture.
Male
18-Jun-2020 20:01 Message #4784068
"He could have kept the opinions to himself, and had a successful political career."

But you called him a simpleton, so which is it?
Interesting you didn't answer the question... nice one!...
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
18-Jun-2020 20:02 Message #4784069
It's odd that a protest about violence is so violent. A protest about lack of respect showing so much lack of respect. It would be the height of irony if a protest about freedom took away the freedom not to protest.
Male
18-Jun-2020 20:05 Message #4784070
It is a vast improvement on the clenched fist Hitler salutes of the past.
Male
18-Jun-2020 20:08 Message #4784071
Ironically, the BLM logo is a clenched fist....
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
18-Jun-2020 20:15 Message #4784072
How many people know....or knew....what taking a knee was...before the death.....A few maybe.....maybe a few more than a few....but certainly not everyone....

How many still don't really know?...It's just something they feel they should be doing because of the death....and therefore the BLM movement....

I've not done it......Nobody has made me do it.....I've not felt the need to do it.....I won't be doing it......

Perhaps I could come up with a ginger one........Will people do it?.....Will they hell.....Gingers have died through bullying.....It's not as big as the black racism obviously......but one ginger life is surely the same as one black life........And it's one black life that kicked all this BLM stuff off again.....

Ginger lives matter as much as black lives......and also adding the 'All lives matter'....
Male
18-Jun-2020 21:04 Message #4784074
Most people, particularly of the younger generation, seem to relate taking the knee to Game of Thrones.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
18-Jun-2020 22:10 Message #4784079
I agree with him and would not do it either. Had never even known or heard about it prior to the criminal resisting arrest and losing his life in such a tragic way. It is like making him into some kind of hero and taking the knee, as it seems to be called, is rather bowing down to people, as if they are better than you. Nobody should be bowing down, taking the knee or curtsying to anybody. I would actually not even feel comfortable curtsying to the queen. I can feel respect for her being our monarch but bowing down in any way, would not seem right.
Male
18-Jun-2020 22:48 Message #4784083
We all have the option, because in the media world we are invisible.
But Raab is in the media spotlight, totally different situation.
Keep quiet, avoid situations where you might have to do it, and still have a meaningful political career.
Otherwise as the crazy gang would say, Put it in the mixer.
Female
LadyVera  Female  Cumbria
18-Jun-2020 23:03 Message #4784084
When I saw A clip of Raab saying this I thought he might regret it but that would be very unfair. He went up in my estimation for saying how he felt rather than do the usual politician thing of pretending to agree with something he felt was not for him.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
18-Jun-2020 23:49 Message #4784088
If I got down on my knees for any reason, I doubt that I would be able to get back up again without assistance.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
19-Jun-2020 00:58 Message #4784089
I am exactly the same Mini . I will take the knee when I am offered a new one under the NHS.

have you ever been "stuck" on your knees in de garden weeding??

leogirl

Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
19-Jun-2020 06:51 Message #4784090
Well, all i can see is one or two posters avoiding the main question “would you take a knee?”

They must be the MSE politicians trying to tactfully avoid the main question, plenty to say but totally meaningless when it comes to the answering the question.

“NO” i wouldn’t take a knee and i think its wrong that sports and high profile personalities should be doing it purely because they are in the public eye, from what i can see is these people who are taking a knee are also agreeing to this vandalism and desecration of our history … in my honest opinion.

Andy Mac
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk
19-Jun-2020 07:32 Message #4784092
NO I wouldnt, and I dont like feeling I would have to and that my not wishing to could be seen as racist.
If Dominic Raab chooses not to its his decision... or do we no longer have free freedom of choice.
I dont like the way these so called protest are going... not much protesting, but alot of vandalism , violence and demands !!!

I do not agree with BLM on football shirts when the poppy was banned... absolute disgrace.
Male
19-Jun-2020 07:39 Message #4784094
That's the sad thing Andy, it seems we either avoid the subject, try to laugh it off or blindly fall into line for the fear of being branded a racist.
The football thing is shocking in my view, I have no interest in football but find it amazing that the FA's rules clearly state that no player should display a political slogan or make a political gesture or statement, yet this has been allowed without a moment's thought.
Apparently, players were banned from wearing poppy images on their shirts, by the same authority, presumably around remembrance Sunday in the past.
Strange times.....
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
19-Jun-2020 08:11 Message #4784095
I thought I'd take a bit of time before offering an opinion on this, whilst it's so blatantly inflammatory and using the same tactics that the 'hated' media use, it also has some valid thoughts held by a lot of people - so is deserving of an answer.

Would I take the knee? no, but then the only shows I do tend to be showing respect at a funeral cortege or memorial event. I would also add, a thing I think is being overlooked here, taking the knee is a peaceful demonstration of someone's support against wrongs that have been done, and are still being done, to a section of society. You seem to rail against violent protest, you seem to rail against peaceful protest, so please, how are people supposed to get their point across?

Dominic Raab...to call him racist for not taking the knee is in my opinion wrong, I don't know if he is or isn't but to use that as a reason isn't enough...is that the only reason people are calling him racist?

Football players and logos on shirts, I know little about football but I did a quick search about the poppy thing, isn't it true that it was FIFA banned the poppy? not the FA?, and isn't it true that they backtracked on the decision, albeit after fining the England and Scotland teams? I'm sure others on here with more knowledge of both those subjects will enlighten us more.

Would I take the knee, not at this time but the way people are reigniting racist beliefs and attitudes I might in the future.
Do I think we all should? that's up to the individual.
Male
Maglorian  Male  North Yorkshire
19-Jun-2020 09:17 Message #4784100
Subjugation definition : to bring under control; enslavement.

SUBJUGATION IS: being stolen from your home, separated from loved ones, torn from your life, shackled, crammed on a ship, thrown overboard if sick, made to work for free, whipped, raped, shot, hung, raped again, not looking your owner in the eye, bowing down to your captor in terror of your life.

Then, generations later, your children’s children struggling to put food on the table, working zero hours contracts, being singled out by the police, passed over by employers, paying extortionate rent on properties owned by rich, elitist MP’s, Dominic Raab included.

A white man of power kneeling at this time would signal humility & understanding, NOT subjugation. Utterly out of touch!
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
19-Jun-2020 09:24 Message #4784101
It's all one big pee take....in my opinion.....

Whites are being made to 'do things'.....Like we are little performing chimps.....They'll have us rapping next.....all that gangsta rap crap that they do.....

And we may be able to use the N word.....so long as we use the version that ends in 'a'....and not the 'er' one....

And it'll be obligatory to say motherf'cker or motherf'cking at least once every sentence.....
Male
19-Jun-2020 09:41 Message #4784103
So are you taking the knee then Maglorian you are (presumably) a man of power because you are white?

I'm sorry you see my thread as blatantly inflammatory terry, but then we rarely see eye to eye so if I posted a thread asking whether pork or lamb chops were best and stated I like both, you'd probably take offence.
Maybe the fact it's seen as inflammatory is the problem? I see the act of taking a knee as inflammatory, you see my thread as such.
I was lazy with the FA thing, I believe you are right it was FIFA rather than our home governing body, but the fact remains the rules are clear regarding political messages etc....
Male
19-Jun-2020 09:42 Message #4784104
You mean gangsta rap
Not gangsta rap crap
What you listen to man
What are you a fan
The latest hit
Some middle of the road sh*t
Go and sit with Hiero
And any other weirdo
Listen to your crap
While your momma and me rap
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
19-Jun-2020 09:43 Message #4784105
Everyone should have the freedom of choice and nobody, politician, sportsman and others who are high profile, should do whatever the feel is right for them and not feel coerced into doing so ., however we all know their careers and popularity might depend on it so they might comply without actually doing so with any meaning.

I don't think any reasonable person would believe getting rid of racism and fighting for black people, or any minority treated badly, isn't worthwhile. I have black people in my family, one of my best friends is a Rastafarian who with dreads and big woolly hat never fades into the background. I haven't seen much open racism in the U.K. for many years but I do believe it still exists under cover although not so much in the younger generation who were not brought up in a whites only country.
The biggest problems are in America and that is what the BLM is really about. Grass roots.

I don't feel strongly about it but I would probably decline taking the knee and I would be very much in favour of showing solidarity with those black people fighting for basic rights in a peaceful protest but might prefer a group hug !
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
19-Jun-2020 09:46 Message #4784106
I quite like a lot of rap music lol. I hope we don't start defining each other by our musical tastes.
Male
19-Jun-2020 10:09 Message #4784107
Oh dear Hermit, you can't answer an adult question like a grown individual, instead resort to abuse, ironically mocking black people with childish rap. The funniest thing is you dare not even type the word shit for fear of offending someone, god alone knows who?
Sorry I made everybody feel uncomfortable....

1 2 3 Next   Last  

Help with conversations