Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

This virus is killing people...

1 2 3 4 Next   Last  

Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
13-Jun-2020 09:41 Message #4783293
Do the members of midsummerseve take anything seriously, or are they just all sheep ?. Going by another thread, sheep is the appropriate word.
This virus is like a science fiction movie bringing down millions of people across the globe to an early grave.
We cant possibly know if we are going to be next to meet our maker ?
Boris Johnson should have closed the country down from the outset, nobody in, nobody out, to contain this virus. Other countries have done this.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
13-Jun-2020 09:45 Message #4783296
Ah michael you really ought to tell all your lefty friends who seem to enjoy rubbing shoulders with each other as they smash stuff up. They just ain't listening to your words of doom.
What will be, will be - if I catch it and die, there is an ever growing list of arseholes that I will come back and haunt....
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
13-Jun-2020 09:55 Message #4783300
If all the other countries have got it right....why is it 'bringing down millions of people across the globe to an early grave.'

It would only be us....if we were the only ones getting it wrong...

I blame Callaghan...or Wilson....
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
13-Jun-2020 10:14 Message #4783303
baaaaaa
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
13-Jun-2020 10:16 Message #4783304
Haha poor Michael he is always too late to the rostrum. This time only months but usually years or decades.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
13-Jun-2020 10:21 Message #4783305
Colonel_Blink , You are an idiot and always will be.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
13-Jun-2020 10:22 Message #4783306
To you, too Minnie.
Male
13-Jun-2020 10:26 Message #4783311
I take that as a compliment Michael. When you start a thread by saying we are all sheep and tell us endlessly we are politically inept then you can hardly expect us to take you seriously or have much interest in what you have to say.

Yes we do know Tony Blair was Labour's longest serving and most popular leader but do you?

We also know you are possibly the most judgemental poster on here.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
13-Jun-2020 10:54 Message #4783319
Colonel_Blink, Of course you are sheep, and politically inept. I dont expect you are anybody else on here to take me seriously. I am suggesting you take the virus seriously.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
13-Jun-2020 11:26 Message #4783320
I think that's probably a bit unfair Michael, going by the average ages of people on here, and the various health issues many of us have, I would say members on here have taken the virus very seriously - more so probably than many in society. Is your point the political ideology of many members on here (your reference to boris not shutting the borders soon enough), or the severity of the virus? if the virus, I'm not sure there are yet 'millions' of people being brought down, that may alter over the coming months of course, and in fairness, the world as a whole has managed to keep numbers below what might have been had countries not acted at all....yes, it could have been better handled but as the world is now more so a fiscal environment than a societal one, perhaps we haven't done too bad? time will tell.
And just to clarify, I totally agree we here should have shut down much earlier.
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire
13-Jun-2020 11:40 Message #4783322
Such nastiness to another member should surely warrant Michaelt being reported, this is by no means the first time I have seen such bad behaviour aimed at other members of what should be a friendship,dating and romance site.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
13-Jun-2020 11:50 Message #4783323
zodiac1, I give as good as I get. If somebody is nasty to me, then im nasty back. It aint roicket science. There is a platform to write on here for political and social issues, its called Society ect.....I write on that. So do others.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
13-Jun-2020 12:11 Message #4783330
Hindsight is a right pain in the rear
Female
13-Jun-2020 12:12 Message #4783331
Terry said most of it for me. And I think I can see where Michael is coming from. If he is saying that there are people on here, and I would consider it grossly unfair if he meant all people, who blindly follow an ideology without questioning what it really means, then I would say that he is absolutely right when he asks if people are sheep.

But I don't think that takes into account that a lot of people are comfortable in a life that is nice and ordered and where everyone does the same as each other and everyone does as they are told. They are really unnerved by someone who questions and challenges the status quo and pushes them out of that comfort zone. So I don't think anyone should be too surprised when they lash back. Most irrational behaviour is driven by anxiety or the management thereof. Haranguing them isn't going to bring them round to your way of thinking. It just makes them more entrenched. If you really want to influence people, you have to adapt your style to meet your audience.

Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
13-Jun-2020 12:13 Message #4783332
Boris Johnson walks into a Bank
He needs to cash a cheque. As he approaches the cashier he says, "Good morning, could you please cash this cheque for me?"
Cashier: It would be my pleasure. Could you please show me your ID?
BJ: Truthfully, I did not bring my ID with me as I didn't think there was any need to. I am Boris Johnson, Prime Minister.
Cashier: Yes, I know who you are, but with all the regulations and monitoring of the banks because of impostors and forgers and requirements of the legislation, etc., I must insist on seeing ID.
BJ: Just ask anyone here at the bank who I am and they will tell you. Everybody knows who I am.
Cashier: I am sorry, Mr Johnson, but these are the bank rules and I must follow them.
BJ: Come on please, I am urging you, please cash this cheque.
Cashier: Alright sir, here is an example of what we can do. One day, Tiger Woods came into the bank without an ID. To prove he was Tiger Woods he pulled out his putter and made a beautiful shot across the Thames into a cup of tea held by the bank's chairman without spilling a drop. With that shot we knew him to be Tiger Woods and cashed his cheque.
Another time, Gordon Ramsay came in without an ID. To prove who he was, he made delicious chicken parm right here on my table, called the branch manager a fucking donkey, and fired everyone at the fish and chips joint next door. With that we knew who he was and cashed his cheque. So sir, what can you do to prove that it is you and only you?
Johnson stands there thinking and thinking and finally says, "Honestly, my mind is a total blank. There is nothing that comes to my mind. I can't think of a single thing. I have absolutely no idea what to do."
Cashier: That will do just fine good sir, will that be large or small notes?
Female
13-Jun-2020 12:33 Message #4783339
And the OP is wrong about people taking the virus seriously. Everything I read on these threads tells me that they do. But I am supposing that it is the apparent general satisfaction with the governments' efforts that has irked.
Male
13-Jun-2020 12:55 Message #4783344
We are like sheep in some ways.....We all flock onto michaelts threads and post away.......We can't stop ourselves....He winds us up......and then the onslaught of posts comes flooding in.....

Nought to 60 in a few seconds......

He certainly knows how to reel em in........All of us....he's caught us all.......fishsheep....sheepfish....

Won't fall for that again.....until next time......
Female
13-Jun-2020 13:16 Message #4783347
I would say that you have only been reeled in if you react, rather than respond.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
13-Jun-2020 13:33 Message #4783348
"Do the members of midsummerseve take anything seriously, or are they just all sheep ?. Going by another thread, sheep is the appropriate word."

How strange Michael, cos you are a member of MSE too. Are you admitting to being a sheep ?

Of course everyone on here takes it seriously. We are all living with it - some dying, some recovering, we are all in the same boat with this terrible virus, but whichever, I dont know anyone who is not concerned about it, or making light of it.
Male
13-Jun-2020 13:47 Message #4783353
As Minnie says you reel yourselves in and Michael goes on to post a crock of meaningless poo just to wind people up. Reacting is for sheep haha.
Female
13-Jun-2020 13:50 Message #4783354
And I repeat once more, baaaaaa.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
13-Jun-2020 13:54 Message #4783355
Don't blame me, it's the others.
A lot of people live by that mantra on here....
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
13-Jun-2020 13:58 Message #4783356
Baaaaaaaa !
Male
13-Jun-2020 14:06 Message #4783359
This thread has more baaas than the bars that are currently open around the country......

Is this really what we all want?......We aren't being reeled in.....

If you can't beat them... join them.....

Baaaaaa

Oh yeah.....It's quite good being a sheep....Baaaaa

Baaaaa

I can't stop now.....

Baaaaaa
Male
13-Jun-2020 14:08 Message #4783362
I've stopped.....

baaaaaa....

Damn.....Soon be christmas

Baaaaah Humbug