Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Favourite Statues

Are they safe?

1 2 3 Next   Last  

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
12-Jun-2020 23:53 Message #4783267
My favourite statues are Dorothy Round in Priory Park at Dudley.
World class tennis player almost 100 years ago, statue is next to the tennis courts.
I think that one is safe.

Queen Victoria in Endcliffe Park Sheffield.
I think that one is not safe.

Also is Nelson safe on his column?
Nelsons column stands on the site of an old boxing gym, run by a boxer called Bill Richmond.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
13-Jun-2020 07:31 Message #4783270
No....

The statue of Robert the Bruce in Bannockburn has been defaced. They have spray painted "Racist King BLM" on it.

I personally never met The Bruce, despite living in the Falkirk area the last five years, perhaps the person, people who are calling him racist knew him better than me...... I doubt he was racist!

Anyone know if he even ever met a black person? If he even would have known them to exist?

Judging from what I know of the Stirling area, sadly the people who defiled the Bruces statue.... Probably were white! I'd love to be proved wrong, but there is few blacks in that area.

Not heard anything about the Wallace monument being targeted..... Yet!
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
13-Jun-2020 07:54 Message #4783274
Hodge the cat.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
13-Jun-2020 08:40 Message #4783282
Idiots and vandals will always find something to deface....no matter what.....

It's usually just stupid vandalism....Bored yobs....They love kicking things....urinating on things....spitting at things....shitting on things...ruining things....doing as much mindless damage as they can do to things....and then they get bored and move on to the next thing.....

They don't need any excuse....
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
13-Jun-2020 09:32 Message #4783289
I suppose my favourite would have to be the Minnie the Minx statue on Dundee High Street.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
13-Jun-2020 09:33 Message #4783290
And I would imagine that she would be fairly safe, as far as the blm movement goes.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
13-Jun-2020 09:54 Message #4783299
I don't have a favourite statue, most of them are just municipal lumps covered in bird poo blocking any atempts to make the traffic easier. I'd be quite happy to see most of them go.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
13-Jun-2020 17:48 Message #4783397
I live in Windsor and like the statue of Queen Victoria with the backdrop of Windsor Castle.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
13-Jun-2020 20:56 Message #4783425
I don't think I've ever taken much notice of statues. Though the Q. Victoria ones are very regal. Nelson and Wellington t should never be removed. Nor Churchill. They all played a crucial part in history.

Maybe the black community should be allowed to put up one of their own. Slavery was a shocking thing, esp. if the diagram of a slave ship is anything to go by. Maybe a tribute/statue to commemorate (commemorate's the wrong word) acknowledge the wrong. I think something like that would help stop the violence.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
13-Jun-2020 21:53 Message #4783435
A statue to acknowledge the awful days of the slave trade would get my vote but now all the rioters and nutters have been destroying the present statues I'm guessing someone would take revenge on any new one.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
14-Jun-2020 09:47 Message #4783476
Is there any left ???

I think even the ones that are seem to be encased in metal...

But I my vote goes to...Micky Mouse ....sweet :)

Nope sorry, just googled it before someone comes back on me.

The madness goes on...

Google it yourselves..
Flipping world is OFFICIALLY
mad....let's destroy the magic of innocent , happy children.

Well big clap to the world. !!!
Male
14-Jun-2020 09:53 Message #4783480
"Maybe the black community should be allowed to put up one of their own. Slavery was a shocking thing, esp. if the diagram of a slave ship is anything to go by. Maybe a tribute/statue to commemorate (commemorate's the wrong word) acknowledge the wrong. I think something like that would help stop the violence."

It would be a nice gesture. However I don't think it will stop the violence, maybe for a week, a month or a couple of years....

I'd suggest we just stop mentioning it, stop mentioning that some black people, a very long time ago were sold buy other black people to be used as slaves. Just stop talking about it, completely forget all about it and move on.

By continuing to be reminded that a long time ago, the evil white man used you poor innocent black people as slaves, surely it must bring some kind of misguided hatred from blacks to whites. Or as we see a lot of today, the white guilt epidemic!

Black people today, who never were slaves, want white people of today, who never owned slaves to..... To what? Where does it end?

Do we build a time machine, go back in time and not buy any black slaves? Just leave them all in Africa. I'd guess, the African Americans who are descendants of slaves will be much better off, than the Africans who never came across on the slave ships.

There never will be enough. Best just put it in the past where it belongs and let it fade into the dark.... In my opinion of course.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
14-Jun-2020 10:15 Message #4783484
Don't have a favourite, I've always seen statues as lesser works of art so prefer to see them in museums anyway.
One I've recently read about though, which might get my vote is in Sweden, of Danuta Danielsson; it depicts her cracking a far right activist over the head with her handbag.
Just thinking though, yes there are statues I like - the ones of soldiers commemorating lives lost in all wars - I hate the idea of war and these serve as a reminder of our stupidity and greed, and the bravery of the men, women and children who pay the price.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
14-Jun-2020 11:26 Message #4783503
Good post Bob...

When you get the most famous statues.....the best ones...the world renowned ones...etc etc....being defaced...urinated on...chopped down....all sorts.....then how are any statues going to survive any of that?

Even totally innocent ones....Like Eric Morecambe for instance....A few years ago...was vandalised....chopped down.....

How is any statue safe from vandals...if even Eric Morecambe isn't...

And then this slave thing.....We all know about the slave trade.....Any normal people care about it......We always have...Since it was abolished etc......We are ashamed of it.....As whites....as blacks....as any race.....

Constant reminders of it in museums and statues etc, are meant to keep it in our minds for the right reasons....not the wrong....

Yet...as has been mentioned.....todays blacks...who have never been slaves....use it against todays whites....who have never been slave owners..........And is that meant to fix things?....or make things worse?.......Am I meant to feel my own guilt for slavery of the past?.... Should a black person hate me for it?......

Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
14-Jun-2020 12:32 Message #4783511
I do like statues. I like most art even sone I don't understand. Sculptures have taken over from concrete statues.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
14-Jun-2020 12:38 Message #4783513
My sentiments exactly tumbled...

Any decent person will find slavery abhorrent...of course it was....but as you say...no black living today have been slaves.

I'm ashamed like you that it happened.....but I'm not the guilty one....My ancestors perhaps ....who knows ?
I'm not going to trace it back ...It's in the past.

Thank God my Jamaican partner has always had a sense of humour....recently his sister put a rant on face book and I said
When was the last time .....your sister was a slave and had a master....

He replied..." before she got divorced "

Well long live humour ,common sense and intelligence.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
14-Jun-2020 13:23 Message #4783520
My best friend is black. Very black so you would never guess he has a white mother married to a Jamaican father. He is very angry at both sides in the public battles but does keep his sense of humour too.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
14-Jun-2020 15:19 Message #4783531
Lol at Minnie the Minx statue, and Desperate Dan statue, Hodge the Cat too!
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
14-Jun-2020 16:49 Message #4783538
I'm disappointed we don't have a Colonel Blink statue as every comic character should have one.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
14-Jun-2020 19:44 Message #4783559
My favourite statue is the head of a veiled lady in the Musee des Beaux-Arts, Nice, France. I don't understand how the sculptor managed to make the marble look transparent.

As to whether it is safe, a few years ago a museum keeper told me off for touching it!

I can't remember what it is called or who made it, but it looks like The Veiled Virgin by Giovanni Strazza, and I wonder if it was loaned to Nice from Rome.

Compare https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Veiled_Virgin
with
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmorgansjoiedevivre.files.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F06%2Fscreen-shot-2012-06-07-at-11-04-19-pm.png&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmorgansjoiedevivre.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F06%2F07%2Fday-43-musee-des-beaux-arts-de-nice-musee-massena-hanging-at-the-beach%2F&tbnid=JGwgk3SYkpLj9M&vet=12ahUKEwjRt_bM94HqAhUD_IUKHXJeDpoQMygCegUIARCnAQ..i&docid=ur_J_zY0NNFwpM&w=958&h=691&q=sculpture%20veil%20nice%20museum%20beaux%20arts&client=firefox-b-d&ved=2ahUKEwjRt_bM94HqAhUD_IUKHXJeDpoQMygCegUIARCnAQ
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
14-Jun-2020 23:04 Message #4783567
I live in Windsor and like the statue of Queen Victoria with the backdrop of Windsor Castle.

The perfect place for that statue.
Male
15-Jun-2020 09:16 Message #4783595
"Yet...as has been mentioned.....todays blacks...who have never been slaves....use it against todays whites....who have never been slave owners..........And is that meant to fix things?"

By the looks of it... Yes! Some one somewhere thinks this is going to eventually fix things. I wholeheartedly disagree.

"....or make things worse?......."

Yes. I think white people are getting very, very sick of this nonsense forced upon them by blacks, and not just blacks, but these whites who are virtue signalling their white guilt. It will come to an end, at some point will will be able to do no more for blacks, give them free everything, not arrest them for anything, give them any job, any salary they wish.... It will never be enough! The minute whites stand against them, and they point the finger and scream "Racist!!!" and no one gives a shit, no one offers anything to appease them, they will be like a drug addict going cold turkey, it won't be pretty, but it needs to happen. For every ones good.

"Am I meant to feel my own guilt for slavery of the past?.... "

I think they want you to, yes. I don't. I never owned a slave, neither did my Mum or Dad, or any of my Grandparents. I grew up very poor, as did my four other brothers, in a very shitty area of Glasgow.... None of us have went to jail. I have worked my ass off to get where I am today, in a decent job, owning a house. I HAVE NOT BENEFITED FROM SLAVERY!!! Therefor will NOT apologies for it. A black boy born in Scotland, in the late 80's, I believe would have had thee exact same opportunities to succeed as I did.... If not more! If any one should be thanking anyone, it's them to us!

"Should a black person hate me for it?......"

No. However I think the media rubbish they seem to spew out about how widespread racism is against blacks, I think blacks do hate whites, albeit a small minority of the minorities.... but a growing minority. How well would I be treated if I was to be washed up on the shores of an African country? Would I get a house, health care, and a white only recruitment day to their police force? I think it be robbed and mutilated.

Now, I recall hearing of signs put up that read....

"NO BLACKS, NO IRISH AND NO DOGS!!!"

By that I'd assume Irish folk suffered from some prejudice.... I'm part Irish....

When do I get to riot?

I'm also Scottish.... I've seen Braveheart too! I seen what the English did to us 100's of years ago, thank god for Mel Gibson saving us. Funny enough, I was in England last night.... I never felt the need to drag up the past, or make any of the good people of Carlisle apologies for 1314....

If I came to London, and I found a British black person and I asked them to apologies for the scenes I watched in Braveheart, I wonder what he would say.... "Wasn't me, and wasn't my ancestors!" Well it wasn't me who owned slaves and it wasn't my ancestors either so F OFF!!!
Male
Wandering4fun  Male  North Yorkshire
16-Jun-2020 17:59 Message #4783783
When I was down in London last year to visit St Paul's Cathedral and do some sightseeing I remember a statue not far from the cathedral the Paternoster sculpture of a shepherd and his sheep and I thought how much more flexible sculptures are.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
16-Jun-2020 20:53 Message #4783809
Wandering4fun. I spend a lot of time around that area of London and I know the sculpture well. The restaurant opposite is the one where they film First Dates on tv.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
16-Jun-2020 22:31 Message #4783827
On a date png?

1 2 3 Next   Last  

Help with conversations