Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Books.

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
12-Jun-2020 10:00 Message #4783153
Do you read many books. Where do you obtain your books?
Library. Bookshop. Online. Charity shop. Other. Why that particular choice?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
12-Jun-2020 10:29 Message #4783160
I read loads of books, often 3 or 4 a week, mostly library or from charity shops, I rarely buy new books, except as presents, luckily one of my favourite authors releases a book a few days before my birthday every year so I usually have one as a present.

I've been reading kindle books, I don't like it, I read to fast and the pages are to small I find it breaks the flow of the story to keep flicking it over, then theres the stuff that dosn't down load and it thinks you've got it and won't let you have it again. The libraries e-book loan system is crap books, are booked up 5 or 6 months in advance and thats very hit and miss as to whether the book will download when you do eventually find one you can read.

One thing I am wondering is are kindle books abridged? There are several by different authors where I feel I've missed a vital paragraph or two, if it was just one author then I'd put it down to writing style, but I read a new one in a series I've read paper versions of and it happened again and I know its not that authors writing style.

Because I read so much I haven't the space to store all the books I read or the money to buy them, so I only buy books from authors I know I will re-read.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
12-Jun-2020 10:59 Message #4783168
I get my books from charity shops. Most of these shops have a large well labelled library section.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
12-Jun-2020 21:21 Message #4783245
I use the library especially for quality non fiction.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
12-Jun-2020 21:27 Message #4783246
I was to tired to get into fiction whilst nursing, always studying reference book. Paid a lot for some I'd still like to complete. Just now I'm reading one I bought in a charity shop, "The Art of Happiness" by Dalai Lama and Howard Cutler, a psychiatrist who interviewed him back in 1998.

I used to be a member of Audible as I could listen to books whilst driving to and from work 70 minutes a day, but just now I am using the free library access called Borrowbox where I am listening to The Outrun by Amy Liptrot.
Male
Wandering4fun  Male  North Yorkshire
12-Jun-2020 22:03 Message #4783254
I buy a few new books and when I have read them I give them to family.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
13-Jun-2020 22:02 Message #4783441
I get my books from charity shops

Me too.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
14-Jun-2020 16:55 Message #4783541
I might give charity shops a try. I find buying new books a bit of a waste.
Male
elrond  Male  the Highlands and Islands of Scotland
14-Jun-2020 18:41 Message #4783552
l read a lot and have Hundreds of books, l buy my books in charity shop, and use ebay when l want a specific book.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
16-Jun-2020 22:36 Message #4783829
A lot of my books are ones I have swapped with friends.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
16-Jun-2020 23:10 Message #4783835
Usual places that have been mentioned.....

Also Christmas is good.....I often buy books as presents for family......and love receiving books as presents......

Sometimes that thing happens.....where you give someone their pressie.....and they give you yours....and the size is the same....and then the reveal....and........the books are different.......Did you think I was going to say they were the same?....

Sometimes.....they are....
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
17-Jun-2020 00:20 Message #4783858
Decent books can be quite expensive but ideal for presents.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
23-Jun-2020 07:36 Message #4784510
I read about one book each week. I have a friend who is an avid reader and she passes on her books to me and has done so for a few years now. I read some and then pass them all on to charity shops.
Do avid readers persevere with a book once started even if doubting it will be good?
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
23-Jun-2020 17:50 Message #4784559
I persevere and complain every time I pause to turn a page. By the end of the book I'm spitting feathers.

Female
23-Jun-2020 18:44 Message #4784573
I hate to give up on a book, especially those were its seems like its going to get really in a few pages, only it never does and you get to the end still feeling like it should of been better.
Male
vintagedave  Male  Northamptonshire
24-Jun-2020 19:42 Message #4784666
Hello all,
Yes, I read books. Mainly Historical fiction, but also like modern thrillers. However, I collect books on my home town, and those on motoring. My motoring books are all indexed, and I have 16,300+.

Where do I buy them ? Charity shops, high street bookshops etc. When I have read them they are given back to charity shops. However my motoring books come mainly from e-bay, and are sourced from all over the world.

David.
Male
24-Jun-2020 22:29 Message #4784680
I'm persevering wonderoushen but only because my daughter assures me it's a good book. I'm about a third of the way through it.
Female
LadyVera  Female  Cumbria
24-Jun-2020 23:55 Message #4784696
As soon as I start to lose interest I close the book and wave it goodbye.
Female
25-Jun-2020 10:14 Message #4784720
png, Trouble with that is some peoples idea of a good book isn't mine and I have perservered and got to the end and thought it a waste of time, if someone recomends you a book they really enjoyed they can get upset if you don't enjoy it too or don't want to read it at all.

Having to read other peoples book choices is one of the reasons I've never joined a book club, if I said of someones favourite character, 'I thought she was a silly cow and needed a slap' they be likely to take it personally, especially if everyone else loved the book.
Male
25-Jun-2020 10:32 Message #4784729
It was my daughters recommendation .. it was compulsory lol.

I enjoyed the first few chapters then it became a bit surreal so you're not sure if it's happening or the main character just thinks it's happening. I'm about to start chapter 16 which is almost half way, so it's unlikely I will give up now.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
25-Jun-2020 14:16 Message #4784749
I sometimes find a book that I started a few years ago....in a cupboard or drawer....that for whatever reason, I only read about 30 or 40 pages.....they have a 'temporary' bookmark in them....homemade out of a ripped off piece of a newspaper page.....

I will start the book again....and its good....and i'll read it all......

They are often books that you find yourself starting because you left the 'main' one somewhere else.....and then when you're reunited with your 'main' one.....you put the 'temporary' one to one side.....to be forgotten about for years....
Male
25-Jun-2020 15:08 Message #4784756
a 'temporary' bookmark in them....homemade out of a ripped off piece of a newspaper page.....

Ooeer! Common as muck lol.
Female
25-Jun-2020 18:46 Message #4784774
Tumbed, Manthing does that, I find it really odd, I either read a book from cover to cover or I argue out loud with it, very rarely I'll stop reading it.

Help with conversations