Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Keyboard

Male
bobbybobby835921  Male  the West Midlands
6-Jun-2020 10:22 Message #4782337
I do play the keyboard for pleasure I did have lessons for a long time. First of all I could pick up tunes by ear which I play on the piano then I had a organ that's then I started having organ lessons which I practiced a long time on it. and then the keyboard came out and I sold the organ and had a keyboard. I did have a go at another instrument but I wasn't any good at playing it so i'm just staying with the keyboard.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
6-Jun-2020 10:32 Message #4782338
So pleased to hear you have been playing on your organ bobby, do you play on it a lot?
I used to fiddle whilst my friend played on their organ but we haven't done that for such a long time, I do miss my friend so much.
I hope they can come round when this virus has gone and we can fiddle with our organs together again....
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
6-Jun-2020 11:20 Message #4782342
Over the years at many boot sales I have seen superb electronic organs for less than £10. What an opportunity to buy anybody age from say 3 to 80 something from which they can have great fun learning how to play music, and maybe create it, perhaps earning money from it!

I think that learning music is far better on a keyboard is far better than on say a guitar or violin. It is easier tto see the basis of chords, key transpositions, etc. Try playing more than 6 notes together on a guitar, or on an instrument comparing where to put fingers for the same tune in different keys. Organs can imitate a huge variety of instruments (such as guitar & violin) and other sounds and special effects. Most have other facilities, such as helping you to learn. Portable keyboards are fantastic, and for most purposes they are much more practical than pianos.

Online adverts continue, and boot sales are starting. Next time you see a cheap good keyboard, consider buying it for yourself or someone else.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
6-Jun-2020 13:48 Message #4782370
I've had a keyboard for about 15 years. Just self taught, but I can play a few things just by ear & I can read music but, I wish I'd gone to some lessons - may be my Next years resolutions. I always envy anyone who can play a musical instrument.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
6-Jun-2020 13:51 Message #4782371
I'm ashamed to say now.....but I had a Rolf Harris stylophone........How embarrassing.....A stylophone.....
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
3-Oct-2020 19:55 Message #4793967
Rumbled : NO instrument is embarrassing - why should it be?

The Stylophone makes a good sound (played properly!)
Male
Wandering4fun  Male  North Yorkshire
3-Oct-2020 23:37 Message #4793987
I played the recorder at school.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
4-Oct-2020 18:24 Message #4794083
I had a recorder lesson at school, but I only had the one as I left with a massive headache.

I'm totally unmusical, music lessons at school were a nightmare, I could never keep time and was told off and as for crochets and quavers and all the other musical notations I'm even more dyslexic with them than I am with words and numbers.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
4-Oct-2020 19:08 Message #4794087
I think the keybord is much more fun. I have got mine out since the lockdown but not yet had time to play it. I also have a Fender guitar - was my late husbands and has never been played. I may have a go at it but not good at reading guitar music
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
4-Oct-2020 22:28 Message #4794115
Didn't Fender design the first electric guitar?
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
5-Oct-2020 07:47 Message #4794122
I remember when everyone seemed to be having a go at playing guitar. Strumming away!
Female
13-Oct-2020 04:55 Message #4794989
At all the music clubs I go to, the guitar is the most popular.

I sometimes crave to hear something ELSE !!
Female
13-Oct-2020 05:15 Message #4794990
And anybody who can be bothered to read my profile will know I play several instruments, very badly. I did not use to practice enough - but then I had them all stolen and now I don't practice at all !!
I cried over losing my Harmonica, which I bought when I was 16.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
13-Oct-2020 08:12 Message #4794999
I went for a meal at the weekend and the entertainment was three guys with saxophones. Brilliant.

Female
15-Oct-2020 00:03 Message #4795171
Were they two metres apart ??
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
18-Oct-2020 09:28 Message #4795428
I have an ear for music, I can pick out tunes on a piano. I began getting interested in the lives and works of America's great songwriters, composers, and lyricists from the 20's, 30's and 40's, in my teens. This is from WIKI.

Irving Berlin (born Israel Beilin; Yiddish: May 11, 1888[3] – September 22, 1989) was an American composer and lyricist, widely considered one of the greatest songwriters in American history. His music forms a great part of the Great American Songbook. Born in Imperial Russia, Berlin arrived in the United States at the age of five. He published his first song, "Marie from Sunny Italy", in 1907, receiving 33 cents for the publishing rights,[4] and had his first major international hit, "Alexander's Ragtime Band", in 1911. He also was an owner of the Music Box Theatre on Broadway. It is commonly believed that Berlin could not read sheet music, and was such a limited piano player that he could only play in the key of F-sharp using his custom piano equipped with a transposing lever that moved all the black keys up one octave.

"Alexander's Ragtime Band" sparked an international dance craze in places as far away as Berlin's native Russia, which also "flung itself into the ragtime beat with an abandon bordering on mania."
Over the years he was known for writing music and lyrics in the American vernacular: uncomplicated, simple and direct, with his stated aim being to "reach the heart of the average American," whom he saw as the "real soul of the country."[6] In doing so, said Walter Cronkite, at Berlin's 100th birthday tribute, he "helped write the story of this country, capturing the best of who we are and the dreams that shape our lives."[7]

He wrote hundreds of songs, many becoming major hits, which made him famous before he turned thirty. During his 60-year career he wrote an estimated 1,500 songs, including the scores for 20 original Broadway shows and 15 original Hollywood films, with his songs nominated eight times for Academy Awards.[1] Many songs became popular themes and anthems, including "Alexander's Ragtime Band", "Easter Parade", "Puttin' on the Ritz", "Cheek to Cheek", "White Christmas", "Happy Holiday", "Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better)", and "There's No Business Like Show Business". His Broadway musical and 1943 film This is the Army,[8] with Ronald Reagan, had Kate Smith singing Berlin's "God Bless America" which was first performed in 1938.[9]

Berlin's songs have reached the top of the charts 25 times and have been extensively re-recorded by numerous singers including The Andrews Sisters, Perry Como, Eddie Fisher, Al Jolson, Fred Astaire, Ethel Merman, Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Elvis Presley, Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand, Linda Ronstadt, Rosemary Clooney, Cher, Diana Ross, Bing Crosby, Sarah Vaughan, Ruth Etting, Fanny Brice, Marilyn Miller, Rudy Vallée, Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Doris Day, Jerry Garcia, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Ella Fitzgerald, Michael Buble, Lady Gaga, and Christina Aguilera.

Berlin died in 1989 at the age of 101. Composer Douglas Moore sets Berlin apart from all other contemporary songwriters, and includes him instead with Stephen Foster, Walt Whitman, and Carl Sandburg, as a "great American minstrel"—someone who has "caught and immortalized in his songs what we say, what we think about, and what we believe."[6] Composer George Gershwin called him "the greatest songwriter that has ever lived",[10]:117 and composer Jerome Kern concluded that "Irving Berlin has no place in American music—he is American music."[11]

During his life he composed over 3,000 songs and 4 musicals all on the black keys of his piano in the key of "f" sharp...

Help with conversations