Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Tomato plants seeds from Japan

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
23-May-2020 13:53 Message #4780702
2 years ago I bought some on Ebay, They are still advertised and their photos are very impressive. Huge plants like trees with people standing under them and laden with lovely fruit. My friend also bought some. You only get 6 seeds for £1.80 free postage. Well, mine didnt even germinate, but my friends grew quite tall in her greenhouse - no flowers or fruit - nothing but foliage.

Has anyone else tried them. I have had seeds before from EB and they have been fine, but these were classed as exotic so maybe I did something wrong. I just started them in pots in the greenhouse like any other.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
23-May-2020 16:22 Message #4780722
Usually with tomato plants you have to pinch them out in order to encourage them to flower and fruit rather than just letting them put all their energy into foliage. Could be why your friend hasn't had flowers or fruit. I've had that issue with tomato seeds where some years every single one has taken (I ended up going out and buying a bigger greenhouse HaHaHa!) or nothing.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
23-May-2020 18:30 Message #4780740
I don't usually grow exotics, this year I though none of my tomatoes were going to germinate, so I went out and bought some plants and that afternoon they started poking their leaves up, I felt like they'd done it on purpose and were giving me the finger, now I'm running out of room and people to give them too.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
23-May-2020 19:46 Message #4780748
I wish you were a bit nearer W/hen.... we could do some swaps..... lol
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
23-May-2020 22:06 Message #4780777
My tomato seeds germinated really quickly, shot up but looked weak, then nothing developed and they just died off.
And they were all from new seeds.
At long last the next batch have started to develop. If they continue will have so many.
I found an old packet of another variety that should have been sowed by 7 years old, and thought I'd just put them in and they've nearly all germinated & are coming on too.
You never can tell.
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire
24-May-2020 09:59 Message #4780832
My son planted tomato seeds this year and he had so many he ad to give loads away. I've got three little plants from him in pots waiting to be potted on at the moment. Seeing as the wind has blown one of my broad been plants over and that stem is thicker than these I'm waiting for the wind to die down.

Help with conversations