Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Thinking back

though there are also more modern ones

1 2 3 Next   Last  

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
22-May-2020 07:46 Message #4780462
I'm talking protests, mainly the one in my mind is the mass trespass of the 30's where people took to the hills to assert the public's right to roam and open up moorland, there were the CND protests, Greenham Common, lots of ones. More recently there's been the much mentioned on here ones about climate change.

Have you ever participated in a protest? would you? what might stir you to join a protest do you think? for my part, I'm probably too knackered and idle now and they can be hard work....what about you? would you?
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
22-May-2020 08:09 Message #4780463
About 9 years ago, I went on a protest to keep the village Post Office open. We all assembled outside with our banners - all 23 of us plus 2 dogs. The local MP turned up, even the village policeman came along to keep order. The local newspaper took photos. What happened ??? ........... The P Office closed anyway.

(That was my only claim to taking part in a protest)
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
22-May-2020 08:38 Message #4780468
I might think of something to protest about whilst queuing up to get into the supermarket....Kill two birds with one stone.....

Perhaps I could protest about people killing two birds with one stone.....It's quite cruel.....
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
22-May-2020 08:43 Message #4780469
Not yet Terry, but working in NHS made it difficult to get time off at the right time, and protests often in London so couldn't afford the travel or accommodation.

I can see how some people can do extreme things to attract attention to an important cause. I remember some dads up an aerial somewhere protesting about how child support payments were unfairly assessed.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
22-May-2020 10:00 Message #4780484
Nah not for me, I'm probably too selfish.
However, I do have a begrudging admiration for the protesters of old who really did put themselves out in the days before mobile phones and social media. It took real determination and organisation.
Nowadays most protests consist of signing something with a click on twitter and pretending you actually care really deeply - it's the most pathetic level of protesting possible....
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
22-May-2020 10:18 Message #4780486
I've been to Greenham and loads of anti nuclear stuff, marches to try and highlight the lack of seriousness the police were taking rape and the general safety of women, marches against going to war in Iraq and some other stuff that I can't remember, but seemed important at the time.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
22-May-2020 10:25 Message #4780488
terry , I took part in an anti Poll Tax rally in the 80's...I also travelled to London in 2005 to join pensioners on a protest outside parliament for higher Stater pensions for this generation, and the abolition of council tax and means testing.

I went one further in 2005 and stood as an Independent for parliament on all issues pertaining to Britain's elderly people, including trying to get an increase in their remaining meagre State pension.

I also formed and founded with others, three non party political pensioners pressure groups with caring young people on board, and we managed to get a piece in the Daily Mirror which brought forth phone calls all day long from pensioners across the UK just to say thank you.

On Friday 8 May the country paid tribute to the service and sacrifice of the entire Second World War generation, from British, Commonwealth and Allied Forces to evacuees and those who served on the home front. Nothing wrong with that...

But what about the fact that this generation of pensioners having worked hard after the war, paying their taxes and NI contributions remain receiving a low State pension from the government, and they still have to sell their homes to pay for residential care, as all homeowners will have to do if and when they also have to be put into residential care. ?
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
22-May-2020 10:27 Message #4780489
Most protests these days, perhaps it has always been the case, seem to consist of a few genuine participants followed by hordes of "professional" protesters, groups of troublemakers out to incite violence and a few mentally unstable souls wanting to climb on railway carriages or hang from buildings.
If a protester gives up their time, their earnings or makes live changing decisions to participate then they have my admiration. If they are professional protesters looking for any cause while collecting benefits then I have no time for them at all.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
22-May-2020 10:46 Message #4780492
Greencare , To come down to your level of debate, why shouldnt they collect benefits ?
Female
22-May-2020 10:47 Message #4780494
Too right Greencare, there are so many of these professional protesters (swampies)
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
22-May-2020 10:47 Message #4780495
Yet Corbyn was sniped at for being just a protestor.

Seems like double standards to me.
Female
22-May-2020 10:55 Message #4780498
No double standards from me. I know precisely where I stand and always have. As for those on benefits I don't see why the British public should be paying for protesters to sit up trees or in tents all day with no intention of looking for work. A taxpayer could be funding a protester who is protesting about something they are actively against but in any case taxpayers money, especially in these times of pandemic, can be much better spent supporting those making a valuable contribution to society.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
22-May-2020 11:12 Message #4780502
Greencare , God all mighty, the mindsets of some people never ceases to amaze me.

To shift from a perfectly reasonable post, to the language of the gutter is truly amazing, well done.
Female
22-May-2020 11:18 Message #4780505
Thank you Michael. Which part of my language would you say comes from the gutter? I am genuinely interested because I have always thought myself to be thoughtful and caring and my lifestyle would show that but obviously we cannot be virtuous in everyone's eyes.

I hope you reply although I might have to log off as duty calls !

Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
22-May-2020 11:30 Message #4780508
Greencare , I am happy to oblige. Please let me know when you log on again.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
22-May-2020 11:34 Message #4780509
Apparently, in our area here at Huddersfield we had a lot of conscientious objectors during the first world war which caused a lot of animosity, and resulted in quite a few people being denied work for many years after.

The mass trespasses I mentioned were also interesting because of the mix of people who took part.

It's also interesting how society's views can be changed to the point what may seem natural to one generation had to be fought for (literally in some cases) by previous generations.

The 'caring' aspect mentioned in some posts is I think only partly relevant, mainly because again, as has been mentioned, people will find their own way of joining a protest but the main criteria being that they genuinely care for the thing being protested...in my opinion.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
22-May-2020 11:42 Message #4780512
Post away Michael. It is a public forum and you should stand by your statement for all to see.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
22-May-2020 11:47 Message #4780513
I think most of the public would have some sympathy/empathy with protesters if they were genuine protesters fighting for a worthy cause. Extinction Rebellion has probably aliened many who agree with the cause itself but are frustrated with the ridiculous demands and the lack of any thinking by them. The usual motley mob who join in don't help either.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
22-May-2020 11:52 Message #4780514
Colonel_Blink , I dont need you or anybody else to tell me that thank you very much...I can sense your tongue firmly in your cheek based on your reputation here on this site in response to many of my comments.
Female
22-May-2020 12:21 Message #4780516
Michael. Thank you once again for your reply. I am still at a complete loss as to your remark.

I posted No double standards from me. I know precisely where I stand and always have. As for those on benefits I don't see why the British public should be paying for protesters to sit up trees or in tents all day with no intention of looking for work. A taxpayer could be funding a protester who is protesting about something they are actively against but in any case taxpayers money, especially in these times of pandemic, can be much better spent supporting those making a valuable contribution to society.

You replied Greencare , God all mighty, the mindsets of some people never ceases to amaze me.

To shift from a perfectly reasonable post, to the language of the gutter is truly amazing, well done.

I would like you to explain precisely what you mean and to which part of my post your are referring to as you think it changed from perfectly reasonable to gutter at some stage.

It was not necessary for me to be online for you to reply. It is a forum not a chatroom so replies are read as and when. I'm having a lunchbreak but I'm not online all day.

I look forward to your reply.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
22-May-2020 12:31 Message #4780517
I'm interested too Greencare. I want to see why Michael believes it is more important for the taxpayer to fund protesters whatever the cause than to spend it on the NHS, benefits, pensions which are ll worthwhile.
Female
22-May-2020 13:05 Message #4780518
Language of the gutter...... where is it then..... I most probably come from a different gutter to you Michael.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
22-May-2020 13:29 Message #4780523
Andromeda , You are a silly bee. The NHS, benefits, and pensions are not being underfunded due to our country being so poor we cant afford these things. They are being underfunded because the Tory are opposed to them ideologically. You are such a silly bee.
Female
22-May-2020 13:34 Message #4780524
MichaelT, They are being underfunded as there are too many people coming into this country claiming, without having paid in a penny.. & if anyone is a silly bee you are
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
22-May-2020 13:35 Message #4780525
Michaelt. Am I a silly bee? I didn't say the NHS, benefits of pensions were underfunded. I don't believe they are. I asked why you thought funding random protesters was more important that paying for essential services.

1 2 3 Next   Last  

Help with conversations