Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Plants that just appear in your garden

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
21-May-2020 21:39 Message #4780449
I'm not talking dandelions here, but something you suddenly find growing in a border that turns out to be a "proper" plant, if you get my meaning.

One day I noticed something growing next to my path that I didn't recognise. It was woody, possibly the start of some sort of bush. I hadn't planted it. Out of curiosity I let it grow a bit and when it was obvious that it was going to be a bush I moved it to the side of the garden, out of the way, just to see what it might become. Several years later my front garden is dominated by what appears to be a 10 foot tall Deutzia, probably of the variety Scabra. Any day now it is going to be covered in spills of tiny, scented, white double bell shaped flowers which are a magnet for pollinating insects. I'm so glad I kept it. It took me years to find out what it was!

I have had another surprise "gift of nature" more recently. A couple of years ago, to my surprise I discovered I had acquired a Poker plant. Sadly the flower spike got broken off just as it was opening, probably the cat jumping down from the fence, but I decided to leave it. Last year it produced a single Red Hot Poker. I now have a clump of Pokers by the fence and some in a pot which are growing very promising looking flower spikes.

The strange thing is, I don't know of any Deutzias or Red Hot Pokers in the area and although I was familiar with the latter I had never seen a Deutzia before one turned up out of the blue.

Has anybody here had a welcome, garden "Gift from the gods"?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
22-May-2020 00:52 Message #4780458
A string of sausages, courtesy of my cat.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
22-May-2020 07:24 Message #4780460
I can't tell the difference between a dandelion and a burdock, plus our garden is communal and all lawned...it looks nice though with some big trees. There's something just down the road that is cordoned off and has a big warning sign next it with the main words in big letters saying 'DANGER, keep away'....I thought the ex. had found me when I first saw it.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
22-May-2020 08:12 Message #4780464
A friend of mine has had a clump of Japanese knotweed appear....... the council have since been treating it.

I had a delphinium plant appear some years ago, and I kept the seeds. I sowed them the next year and 5 years later we have loads of lovely delphiniums.

I am sure birds carry them in their droppings.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
22-May-2020 09:09 Message #4780477
God's freebies - poppies - I have had several clumps of beautiful purple poppies appear in my front garden, plus some yellow ones.

Trevor
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
22-May-2020 10:34 Message #4780491
I've got one of those big fancy grasses that are so popular in gardens now, I didn't buy it or put it there as I'm not a fan, I will move it from the front garden to the back where I'm creating a wildlife garden, or trying to, the birds should like the seeds.

I've got loads of carnations that were free too, there were loads of side shoots on some bunches of carnations I bought, so I pulled them off and stuck them in a pot and they pretty much all rooted and some are now quite big.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
22-May-2020 11:10 Message #4780501
I am sure that the wet winter we had has something to do with it.
Plants that went into a slumber suddenly started sprouting.
leogirl.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
22-May-2020 11:24 Message #4780506
Apparently something called, I think?, Japanese Knotweed is making big inroads in this country; very difficult to control and killing off other plant species...I think?
Female
22-May-2020 13:24 Message #4780520
JaPnese Knotweed is not only a danger to this country thru killing other plants , it grows through concrete. If you see/have any, you should contact the authorities who will come along & treat it immediately. They will also put up "Keep away notices while its being treated". Some has been spotted in the woodland near our new house and the whole area is closed off whilst being treated. Its been known to grow thru walls into houses and bridges, making it very dangerous. Its worth a bit of Googling.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
22-May-2020 19:07 Message #4780568
I think you're right leogirl, it was a mild winter too, the grass didn't really stop growing here and cows were out much more than usual as there was feed for them, even the sheep didn't have so much haylage in the fields.
Male
RobM  Male  Essex
23-May-2020 10:09 Message #4780639
I have some small spindly plants that I haven't a clue what they are.

The leaves are in pairs, long but thin, the stem of the plant is red at the bottom, leaves are bright green, the more mature with red veins. They look a bit like pelligory-on-the-wall (not heard of that before!). I don't know if they flower yet.

Any ideas?

RbP
Male
RobM  Male  Essex
23-May-2020 13:14 Message #4780686
Aha! Further investigation using a book - some are beetroot plantlets; some have teeny tiny blue flowers, no idea what these are though.

RbP
Female
23-May-2020 13:20 Message #4780689
Rob, if they are Forget me nots, about 12-16", they will spread like wildfire next year +.

If they are a tiny darkish blue star shaped, they are a weed, but a fairly uncommon one (I forget their name) but they dont usually last more than 1/3 years, then vanish.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
23-May-2020 13:22 Message #4780691
Because I live under trees lol the birds must drop seeds galore every year something new grows lol its great love it

Male
RobM  Male  Essex
24-May-2020 11:37 Message #4780854
Thanks, Vic', they're in tubs so can't spread. I'll check my books to identify them positively!

RbP
Male
Wandering4fun  Male  North Yorkshire
24-May-2020 14:09 Message #4780878
I have distant trees but the seeds still manage to plant themselves in my garden and before I know what is happening another miniature tree is trying to grow.

Help with conversations