Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Do you buy a newspaper daily, weekly or never?

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
21-May-2020 12:39 Message #4780402
I saw the latest numbers online for newspaper print circulations in April 2020 vs March 2020 and they don't make good reading if that's your business. The low numbers even in March surprised me too.
I haven't bought a newspaper for probably 30 years and have no intention of buying one ever again, but wondered how many people still do.
Obviously with the virus thing sales will be down but the figures show a real decline and as much as I hate trashy newspapers, behind these numbers are real people's jobs.
Below are some of the figures with the March numbers in brackets.

Daily Mail: 944,981 (1.13m)
Express: 234,373 (289,393)
Mirror: 363,082 (442,610)
Star: 219,275 (276,453)
i paper: 134,553 (215,640)
Guardian: 106,003 (129,961)
FT: 88,756 (146,373)
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
21-May-2020 12:45 Message #4780403
I never thought there'd be a day when I didn't buy a paper.....a bit like I never thought there would be a day when I didn't listen to Radio 1.

Even after the internet was around....I was still buying papers.....I used to buy The Racing Post most days as well......

But some day happened a number of years ago....and since then I haven't bought a paper.....Not quite true....I occasionally buy one for journeys and things.....and you get a free metro on the bus or train....

and I stopped Radio 1 many years ago.....
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
21-May-2020 13:08 Message #4780406
I get a Saturday paper (because of the free TV Guide that it comes with).

But during lockdown I haven't been anywhere near a store/shop on a weekend.
The queues have been far too long and it's been better to go at times when it's been quieter. So I've done without one for 9 weeks, but as soon as the "new normal" resumes I'll start to get one again.

But I can't see how any figures, averages, statistics to do with retail over the lockdown period can have any significance to what went before.
With newspapers, millions of people who commute daily, likely buy their paper of choice on the way to, or at the station. Similarly the airport or motorway service station etc. I've never seen a quiet WH Smith's at one of those.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
21-May-2020 13:30 Message #4780409
I agree, but I was surprised by the March figures, I've never taken much interest but I assumed "popular" rags sold a lot more copies than that.
I also have no idea how much a newspaper costs...
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
21-May-2020 14:41 Message #4780412
Comparing 2020/2011

Daily Mail down 47%
Daily Mirror down 63%

Valid point around real people's jobs but many jobs from the past barely exist nowadays - or due to mechanisation now need very little paid labour.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
21-May-2020 18:48 Message #4780430
I read online, but Mum still has her daily paper, or she does when I go out, every now and again I quite enjoy a sunday paper, I read far more of it than I do an online version because my interest gets captured by something I might normally scroll past.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
22-May-2020 08:19 Message #4780466
I sometimes buy the local newspaper and himself will usually buy the Mail on Sunday - mainly for the TV. I usually have the news on in the motor or kitchen TV.
Male
22-May-2020 08:32 Message #4780467
When I used to get a paper......I think I was the world record holder for 'messing it up' when reading it......Whether tabloid or 'biggy page' ones.......

Trying to turn the pages.....I could never keep it neat......especially if folding it over to just get the 'one page' look.....and even more especially if I was outdoors.....wind or no wind.....A few page turns later.....paper mayhem going on.....

and if it was a 'biggy page' one......it was completely gone after one page turn.....
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
22-May-2020 08:44 Message #4780470
It reflects how misleading journalism can affect how people view politicians and certain political parties.
Female
22-May-2020 08:54 Message #4780471
As a result of the OP I tried to find some sources of trust in such papers.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/facebook-more-trusted-news-daily-star-according-bbc-commissioned-survey/

Facebook is a more trusted news source than the Daily Star, according to a survey of nearly 2,000 UK adults.

Conducted for the BBC by Ipsos MORI in February, the survey’s aim was to gauge “public perceptions of impartiality and trustworthiness of the BBC”.

As part of the survey, 1,864 adult aged 15 and over who follow the news were asked which sources they feel are trustworthy and impartial.

Respondents were asked to rate 26 news providers, including commercial radio generally, out of 10 for each category, with daily and Sunday editions of newspapers categorised together.

BBC News (6.5 for impartiality, 7.4 for trust), ITV News (6 and 6.6) and Channel 4 News (6 and 6.2) make up the top three spots in both categories.

The Sun (3.5), the Daily Star (3.6) and Mail newspapers (4.1) made up the bottom five for impartiality along with Facebook and Twitter (both 3.9).

Along with the other tabloids, websites Huffington Post, MSN News (both 4.6) and Yahoo (4.7) made up the lower scale of impartiality.

Aside from the Telegraph newspapers (4.9), the broadsheet newspapers all scored between 5.7 and 5.3.

They were closely followed by Google News and the Metro (both 5.2). Sky News, Five News (both 5.5) and Al Jazeera (4.7) were judged to be less impartial than the other broadcasters.

Tabloid newspapers, the websites mentioned above and Al Jazeera all scored below 5 in terms of trustworthiness, with the Daily Star and Twitter (both 3.3) trailing Facebook (3.4) in last place.

Aside from the i (5), all broadsheets scored between 5.7 and 5.9, trailing the top three broadcasters and Sky News (equal with Channel 4 News on 6.2).

The survey, cited in today’s BBC annual report, showed that despite the BBC scoring higher than its rivals for impartiality and trust, it has not yet fully recovered the level of public trust it enjoyed prior to the Jimmy Savile scandal.
Male
22-May-2020 09:19 Message #4780480
yeah.....but does it say how easy the pages are to keep neat when you turn them?......
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
22-May-2020 09:26 Message #4780481
The BBC survey lost all credibility as being realistic as soon as Facebook was mentioned. Possibly the only source less reliable and less honest than Facebook is Twitter which is hardly surprising when they consist of thousands of anonymous contributions with nobody taking responsibility for those contributions.
Female
22-May-2020 10:54 Message #4780497
The source was Pressgazette about Facebook being more trusted. The source was not from Facebook.

But anyway, it would be interesting to collate from other sources and not just one.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
22-May-2020 11:18 Message #4780504
I haven't bought a newspaper for well over 30 years, once or twice I've taken a copy of metro when getting off the bus but my problem is although I plan to read them later, I never do so they just sit around on a chair or table for weeks until I bin them.

The sales/circulation figures are interesting because as you rightly say Hiero, people's jobs are affected, but on the other hand, perhaps it's a reflection of how untrustworthy they had become - not just the introduction of online news sources, let's be honest, we just needed to look at what the News of the World had become (possibly always was?)

Like you, I have no intention of buying one ever again, discussion forums like this are as good for getting news, how we interpret that news is up to us.

Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
22-May-2020 11:26 Message #4780507
I used to buy a paper every day up to the 6th of March or thereabout when I went into lock-down.
Enough news on the t.v. now and all the adverts and sports pages of the newspaper are of no interest to me. Besides I did not want to go into the newsagent to risk infection.

Perhaps I shall buy a different newspaper after the lockdown ( breaking a habit!!! ) that concentrates more on the economy and the effects of Bretix.

leogirl.
Male
22-May-2020 11:38 Message #4780511
The thing about Bretix.......It's all a muddle.....
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
22-May-2020 13:19 Message #4780519
I do sometimes buy a paper but only ever scan through it quickly unless something catches my eye. I don't take any of the news items too seriously because you just know they are not accurate. I do the puzzles.
Male
22-May-2020 13:27 Message #4780521
I used to like the puzzle sections.....Some even had ones where you didn't get black print on your fingers....It was special stuff...

They probably still do it.....
Female
22-May-2020 14:02 Message #4780530
terry,

As unreliable social media is in truth, at least people can publicly challenge information, but newspapers people read and often think the half truths are true and make up the rest.

Newspaper is great for cleaning windows, putting at the bottom of a bin, and now my wormery worms like it.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
22-May-2020 17:37 Message #4780558
The most exciting thing I've done lately regarding newspapers was stockpiling some in case my toilet rolls ran out.

I do still read a newspaper as it is quite pleasant relaxing with a cup of coffee in the garden and having a good slow read. If I buy a paper during the week I will usually buy the Guardian but only if I have time to read it as it's not a paper to quickly scan through. On a Saturday we have the Mail delivered ... we want the tv supplement which my daughter swears by and some time over the weekend my son comes up and takes the paper home as he likes the giant crossword. I'm not sure anyone actually bothers to read it.
Female
LadyVera  Female  Cumbria
23-May-2020 08:28 Message #4780620
I used to buy a weekly local paper but now I use on Facebook. It's so much better and at the touch of a button I can get a dozen different versions of the same incident.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
23-May-2020 09:56 Message #4780634
I use newspaper for cleaning windows too, a bit of vinegar and water on a sponge, then dry with newspaper, what could be simpler or cheaper?

I do the puzzles mum hasn't done in her paper, but not the number ones, only word ones.
Male
RobM  Male  Essex
23-May-2020 09:59 Message #4780637
I don't buy one, but I miss reading them over breakfast in a café! ...sigh...

RbP
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
23-May-2020 10:17 Message #4780642
It's not the same sitting in a cafe with a kindle.
Female
23-May-2020 11:50 Message #4780667
...and a cappuccino or latte made with oat milk :-)

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations