Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Why was this message deleted ? Does anybody know ?

I'm a Widower. This is why I ask.

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
21-May-2020 08:46 Message #4780360
Looking for a serious and mature man for a serious relationship that can lead to marriage (6)
Seeing if there is any anyone else out there! smithn Female
10-May-2020
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
21-May-2020 08:50 Message #4780362
Because smithn was a spammer.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
21-May-2020 09:02 Message #4780363
That's no reason to ban someone's posting. What the hell happened to free speech ?
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
21-May-2020 09:04 Message #4780364
Were you smitten Michael?
Male
21-May-2020 09:12 Message #4780365
Hitler probably asked that same question.
It might be worth asking some questions of smithn to see if she/he believes in free speech? With free speech comes an element of responsibility, when I looked at smithn's profile and other posts there seemed to be a lack of responsibility, perhaps a definition of free speech is required?
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
21-May-2020 09:16 Message #4780366
The scammer was removed from site and so his/her posts went too

Trevor
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
21-May-2020 09:17 Message #4780369
I blame Thatcher and her free speech agenda......40 years of this we've had......Blair just continued Thatchers agenda.....
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
21-May-2020 09:31 Message #4780371
We either have free speech, or we dont. Bringing Hitler into the equation is a cop-out.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
21-May-2020 09:32 Message #4780372
Pboro Trevor , Why ?
Male
21-May-2020 09:35 Message #4780373
Is bringing Thatcher into everything a cop out as well?.......

In this thread....if it is.......Guilty your honour......

I'll see if anyone brings Thatcher into any other threads.......I'm sure I've read her name mentioned in the last few months quite a lot....
Male
21-May-2020 09:48 Message #4780374
Doing some serious research on the subject.....

There's a thread in site matters....raised 10 days ago.....regarding smithn.....and all sorts of fake documents they were offering....

Now Michaelt......Getting a bit touchy about the mention of Hitler......Asking questions about someone who can provide fake documents....

You aren't Hitler are you?........Are you trying to get away to South America or somewhere?........

What was it like...the last days in that bunker?...
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
21-May-2020 09:59 Message #4780376
Smithn was more than a spammer. She (or possibly a man) was a scammer, a crook and/or a gross liar.

Smithn had started 2 threads that each advertised "fake passports ... fake ID cards ... counterfeit money ... fake Driver;s Licence ... Fake Residents Permits ... Fake Birth Certificates ... fake marriage certificates ... fake death certificates".

These are actual quotes, so I'm not exaggerating. I made a note of them with the possibility of reporting it to police, and I asked Admin to that

See thread "Scammer operating on MSE - smithn"
http://www.midsummerseve.com/fora/thread.aspx?threadid=193928&page=1
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
21-May-2020 10:19 Message #4780377
It's nearly always suspicious if someone posts publicly on threads for a partner.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
21-May-2020 10:32 Message #4780380
But this is a dating site Justlyn.....

Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
21-May-2020 10:40 Message #4780382
A partner in crime !
Female
Helper icon Helper
PrincessFruitBat  Female  Essex
21-May-2020 11:40 Message #4780393
To make it absolutely clear Michaelt, being a spammer is every reason to delete a posting.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
21-May-2020 13:24 Message #4780407
PrincessFruitBat , To make it further absolutely clear, we either have free speech or we dont. Clearly on this site, we dont...
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
21-May-2020 13:27 Message #4780408
Having free speech is not the same as being able to say absolutely anything, to anyone at anytime.
Why would a dating and friendship site allow someone advertising illegal activities to remain on the site?

Think about it Michael.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
21-May-2020 15:05 Message #4780413
Colonel_Blink, What sort of illegal activities ?
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire
21-May-2020 15:47 Message #4780414
Sometimes, Michaelt, one wonders what planet you come from.

Its a friendship, dating and romance site, not a bloody free for all and sundry crooks, illegal opportunists etc etc

You might want to visit the site rules on do,s and donts, that should sort out stuff on free speech for you
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
21-May-2020 16:01 Message #4780415
zodiac1, So we cover up our right to free speech with rules and regulations do we. ?

We are a nation that pays homage to free market deregulation competition, and exploitation...
Female
Helper icon Helper
PrincessFruitBat  Female  Essex
21-May-2020 16:10 Message #4780416
Michaelt, Colonel Blink and Zodiac1 have summed up the answer I would have given you so I won’t elaborate. However if you genuinely believe that the writer of the deleted post could be a potential suitor for you then I suggest you read up about internet dating scams... ... ... for your own safety.
Male
21-May-2020 16:30 Message #4780420
I'm guessing your reference to you being a widower was because the post from smithn was in the dating room?
My reference to Hitler was as an example of how so called free speech can cause untold misery and have repercussions far exceeding what may be the speakers intentions – although in the case of Hitler they didn't exceed his intentions.
If you'll note my comment below that was that with free speech comes an element of responsibility, are you saying that is not acceptable? Should the ability to speak freely absolve the speaker of any responsibility?
Is this thread about the particular post you mention or is it about the use of free speech?

Many years ago I argued for free speech in a way similar to what you are doing now, but soon learned all actions have a reaction and for a society to work effectively there have to be some common guidelines, smithn in my mind broke those guidelines as all spammers and common thieves do, and to a great extent (because no doubt you wish this to become a political thread) business people, military leaders and politicians also do though in a much more hidden way.

By all means pick and choose what you wish to answer or question, in this situation that is fair because no one is likely to be hurt, but what smithn was doing would and probably does, hurt people, hence I would fully agree with the post being removed and if the poster has been removed from the site, I am sure they would have expected that eventually and regard it as a hazard of their job, equally, I would have thought you could have found a much better example to expound your theory?
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
21-May-2020 16:35 Message #4780421
Very good post Terry. I'd add that another question is "Why shouldn't the scammer and all messages be removed?"

The OP Isn't wanting free speech, just attention.

SQL
Male
Leyson  Male  South East London
21-May-2020 18:55 Message #4780432
ROFL, this thread reminds me of that song, There's a hole in my bucket, Dear Liza, lol

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations