Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Will Labour support Starmer

Or stab him in the back?

Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
19-May-2020 19:03 Message #4780260
Who will become the new General Secretary of the Labour Party following Jenny Formby’s resignation. David Evans is Keir Starmer’s favourite for the job. Evans previously served as Labour’s assistant general secretary under Tony Blair. Already opposing him is Pamela Fitzpatrick – one of Corbyn’s star PPCs in their Labour’s target seat of Harrow East last year. She managed to turn a Tory majority of 1757 into an enormous majority of 8170. Can Labour kick the Corbyn, communist, Momentum monkey from its back.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
19-May-2020 19:05 Message #4780261
Having just voted him in by a large majority, I can't see any reason why they would stop supporting him when he's only been there 5 minutes.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
19-May-2020 19:58 Message #4780262
I think Starmer has been very fortunate in having the easiest and softest of starts to his leadership.
PMQ's is right up his street with no MP's in the chamber, as a lawyer it must feel like a courtroom, he got to address the nation like a Prime Minister and now Labour have announced their conference is cancelled.
So no awkward moments where a spotty Labour activist stands up and makes a speech begging for Corbyn to be brought back and no slow-clapping comrades during Starmers big end of conference speech.
The virus has done him a big favour...
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
19-May-2020 20:39 Message #4780263
WH,

Sadly, in my circles of Labour, there is huge division and members calling him Conservative, often because he wears a suit and because he is a Sir, assume he is posh.

There is also moves to get Corbyn back, which as much as I liked him and still do, is a stupid idea at this point and think some can be very short sighted in creating more division that will come back and shoot them in the foot.
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire
20-May-2020 08:14 Message #4780290
I think he'll do quiet good, being more moderate rather than more one side or the other.

How long before they come on screaming he's a tory in disguise ?

Chris.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
20-May-2020 08:34 Message #4780295
I would think he would be ok.....but it only really matters when the public start getting fed up of the current government....which will happen at some point or other....

If the current lot are popular enough to get voted back in next time.....it doesn't really matter who was against them....

If the current lot mess up enough....or the public want a change.....then whoever is leader of the 'new' lot will need to deliver....until it's their time to go....and the other lot and their 'new' leader get in again....and so it goes on....

Starmer may or may not ever become PM......time will tell....
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
20-May-2020 09:08 Message #4780299
The Labour party is rife with factions all competing to have their own candidates in place, then back stabbing anyone who is not of their faction.

Trevor
Female
20-May-2020 10:30 Message #4780309
Well then lets hope that the Corbynites all go off and form thier own party where they can yap from the sidelines. Starmer's parents where ordinary working people and Corbyn wore a suit, its the male business uniform.

I think Boris is the one who finds it hard to cope at PMQ's without an audience to cheep him on and I think even when faced with baying from the tory benches Starmer will still get his points across. The Tories have only just realised they have to take Starmer seriously after the last couple of PMQ's where Boris or the idiot Raab got a verbal knifing, Starmer seems to have deadly politeness, he's not rude nor seems to be playing to an audience, but its hard to avoid the points of his questions. I think he's doing exactly what The Leader of the Oppostition should be doing and holding the government to account and asking awkward questions, we will see at a later date what his policies are, how radical, or not and how workable they are and eventually what the electorate think of them and him.

I imagine that other parties will be having to cancel their conferences, trade unions too.
Male
20-May-2020 11:19 Message #4780316
I agree with you, Johnson plays to the crowd whereas Starmer is used to the deathly silence of the courtroom where he can forensically challenge.
He is good, but following on from the shambles that was Corbyn that's not hard, I do wonder how flexible Starmer is though.
Labour are still riven with factions, even momentum has splintered into at least two groups and John Lansman has stepped down as it's head.
It will be good for the focus to fall on them for a change...
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
20-May-2020 23:17 Message #4780351
Well then lets hope that the Corbynites all go off and form thier own party where they can yap from the sidelines.

That would be the preferred option for most Labour voters but from past experiences the far left extremists would happily let the Labour Party die completely than see it make a success with the far left and Momentum running things. If they cant displace Starmer they will surround him with second rate activists to stifle everything he tries.

This a tremendous opportunity for the Labour Party to back Starmer and get back to working for the people.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
21-May-2020 09:16 Message #4780367
I always thought one of the pre-requisites of being a politician was how well they can stab each other in the back? bit like in business where people climb over each other for the next higher job?
Female
21-May-2020 10:41 Message #4780383
I'm a Corbynite, only joined Labour because of his policies and then voted for Starmer.

I like Starmer because he is respectful and I was never hard left anyway.

I just like people who are genuinely kind and both of them are as neither want to rip off the poor.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
21-May-2020 10:52 Message #4780385
It does seem that way terry but I believe the opposite. From my own experiences and from what I have seen I believe most politicians do want to help their communities and society or even to help save the world but we all too easily believe the hype (or lies) we read in the media and even more so in social media.
We are practically forced to take sides with our divisive politics and are blinded to good people in the opposition as we praise or defend those who are members of "our" party. Not that I have any answers but that is how I see it.

I like Starmer but time will tell if he will be a good leader. I hope he is supported by his party and given a decent chance.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
21-May-2020 20:08 Message #4780442
Time will tell. Starmer seemed to start off ok in PMQs but isn't a match for Johnson yet.

Female
21-May-2020 21:09 Message #4780446
Funny.

From what I seen and opinions I've read Starmer knocks socks of Johnson.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
21-May-2020 21:16 Message #4780448
I presume you haven't watched this weeks performance.
Female
22-May-2020 09:02 Message #4780474
Watched PMQ and seemed to be calm collected and to the point.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
22-May-2020 09:05 Message #4780475
Starmer didn't knock anyone's socks of JustLyn. He remained calm as that would be his courtroom training but he didn't look very impressive and I'm a fan.
Female
22-May-2020 09:06 Message #4780476
Persona non grata. A very interesting view on politicians :o)
Female
22-May-2020 10:24 Message #4780487
MP's are all back on June 2nd so Boris will have his audience to play to, maybe he hopes that all the baying and hooting will drown out the verbal knifing he gets every week from Starmer. Court rooms can be theatrical too and most barristers can either play along or have ways of dealing with hecklers, so we'll see.
Female
22-May-2020 10:31 Message #4780490
Starmer and Johnson will have their respective audiences to play to but I think the baying and hooting from both sides is just for listeners as I doubt the experienced politician takes much notice.
Starmer talked well when not under scrutiny in a face to face debate but last Wednesday he was unprepared and completely lost the plot.
Hopefully they can both make interesting contributions next time.
Male
22-May-2020 17:35 Message #4780556
Starmer was not at his best on Wednesday, it seems if things go according to the script then he's in his comfort zone, if not, then he gets wrong-footed.
He is very robotic, but at least he doesn't get all shouty like Corbyn - why does he sound like he needs a good blow though? lol
Female
22-May-2020 18:55 Message #4780566
As I said all barristers know how to play a crowd, so I expet Starmer will respond accordingly, all barristers will have been surprised in court, so comfort zones shouldn't come into it. I don't think you can judge someone on one off day.

Help with conversations