Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Frank Sinatra

The greatest singer of The Great American songbook, ever!

Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
18-May-2020 21:29 Message #4780177
Suffice to say I have been a Frank Sinatra fan all my life. Sinatra sang to your heart.

What are your thoughts on Frances Albert Sinatra. ?
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
18-May-2020 21:32 Message #4780179
Never liked or rated him, either as a singer or actor, though I'm well aware he was highly thought of.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
18-May-2020 21:47 Message #4780182
He continued Sid Vicious's free market agenda and did it Sid's way.....
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
18-May-2020 22:10 Message #4780189
He has certainly sold a lot of his music. I liked some of it.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
18-May-2020 22:54 Message #4780202
Underwhelmed, if I am honest. Not my style of music, at all. Anodyne.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
19-May-2020 09:22 Message #4780217
Rod Stewart did a highly acclaimed series of CDs of the great American song book. You should listen to them

Trevor
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
19-May-2020 09:41 Message #4780219
Phobo Trevor,

I am not keen on Frank Sinatra, nor Rode Stewart really but I really enjoy that album and bought it :-)

Stewart's mature and gravelly voice really gives something to that style and interesting it is how he became interested in music due t the influence of his dad liking Sinatra.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
19-May-2020 18:54 Message #4780258
Pboro Trevor, I can't stand Rod Stewart. I have....Stewart doesnt hold a candle to the Chairman of the board...Nobody does.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
19-May-2020 20:40 Message #4780264
I thought he was great - super late night music - great to dance to. I still have some of his records.

I also love Elvis and more recently Ricky Martin
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside
21-May-2020 17:35 Message #4780424
One has always quite liked the late Frank Sinatra. One feels that he interpreted a lyric and a song with a conversational tone. One feels as if one is included in his recital. A one off, one concludes.
Male
Goodgeezer  Male  West Yorkshire
25-May-2020 01:12 Message #4780984
Nobodyhas made mention of the suggestions raised in the film "Godfather" that there was a lot of mafia muscle behind his initial "success". Film producers being coerced into giving him leading roles in films as well. Afraid that greatly tarnished any respect or liking I ever had ofthe man or his crooning.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
25-May-2020 11:09 Message #4781018
I concur with Goodgeezer.

He was a tiny little man, (5ft 5"), though he was helped, hyped and bigged up by the mafia.

Back in the day, it always perplexed me that such a titchy actor could ever be assigned the 'leading man' roles he was given in those old Hollywood movies but, with the mob behind him, who was ever going to make a fuss or turn him down for such a role?

Sinatra? Mediocre. Average. Over-rated ... and it wasn't charisma that he exuded on the silver screen. Rather, what we saw as hero worship or admiration, (as expressed by his fellow actors and peers), was actually fear.

Kim Jong-un of North Korea gets exactly the same response from his own people ... not out of love or of respect ... but out of an intimidating fear that to do anything else other than fawn over him would result in paying a heavy, often life threatening, price.

And yes, today, I appreciate it is probably a crime against humanity to dare criticise a person based on there stature though I do remember that I, myself, used to be called "Lanky" for being 6ft tall. :-).
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
25-May-2020 22:23 Message #4781115
I don't think height is of much importance. My personal preference is for a man with a sturdy strong looking body but I'm flexible as personality is the important factor.

I think many people would be surprised at just how many actors and famous film stars are well below 5' 9"
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
26-May-2020 10:49 Message #4781145
I just googled NoSaint and you are right. Height doesn't seem to affect an actor's popularity or the number of ladies chasing him :)

Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
26-May-2020 16:29 Message #4781177
Hello FirmButFair-TrollPatrol

Despite your rather bizarre, self-aggrandizing screen-name, there is a member of this site who seems convinced that you and I are the same person.

Help with conversations