Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Your decade from 20 to 30 years of age.

No longer a teenager.

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
17-May-2020 09:11 Message #4779988
What were you doing with your life as you left your teens?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
17-May-2020 09:25 Message #4779994
LOL,

I was married to my first husband, a lovely guy and still distant friends, and each riding our our own Kawasaki Z1A and a baby Honda Chaly. I could see our marriage wasn't going down a serious route (smiling broadly) as two "kids" living in London. He was posted at West Drayton, and what two kids would get a flat in Richmond?
I had given up my mental health training for love of a guy, then on a BSA and ended up a vetinary nurse in Wimbledon as well as a stint as a motorcycle despatch rider on Tottenham Court Road in between.

I was never one with the herd so no hell's angel, more of a Pippy Long Stocking on wheels.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
17-May-2020 09:39 Message #4779995
20 already married with one child,
Living in a one bedroomed flat with no garden and an outside bathroom / toilet which was only accessible by going down the fire escape .
The flat was above a hairdressers.

The bathroom couldn't be used because the equally young couple in the flat next door had decided in their wisdom to use it to store a mattress, so it was out of bounds.
Anyway ,I couldn't see me having a bath in the freezing cold.

Tried desperately to get a council house in the next town as there was only a six week wait. (unheard of now)
Eventually got a house, minutes from the town centre and moved on the day Princess Ann married..
So that was 1973.

Continued working as a residential social worker for 10 years until the birth of my second child.

Now into my early 30s.
Left work and trained as a chef.
On qualifying ,aquired the franchise of the cafe at the local swimming pool and ran my own business for 4 years.
Left that and went back to college and eventually qualified as a beauty therapist.

So that was my life from the 20s to my mid thirties.....
Cor what a blast from the past.
Now feeling reeeally old :/
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
17-May-2020 11:04 Message #4780015
My teens were spent drinking, partying and very few serious thoughts and I have no regrets about that. The most brilliantly enjoyable youthful years.
At 21 I went to work at a small local airfield and stayed for four years until leaving to work at Luton Airport. I worked there until almost forty. Again they were wonderful enjoyable years with a fair amount of partying, dating, travelling. There was never a moment when I even considered settling down.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
17-May-2020 11:35 Message #4780026
oh heavens, a lot changed for me in that 10 years.

I left school at 17 with A levels and got a job in the lab, the job chosen because I wanted to do science and the company would sponsor my degree day release. Finally graduated with a degree in chemistry from Hatfield Polytechnic (as it was then) at age 25. Still paid peanuts, so took a career change, left the company to move out of the lab and switched from veterinary health to working with human medicines.

Had to leave the family home at 18 for my own safety. Don't think I would be here now if I hadn't left when I did. I moved into a big house in Berkhamsted where I worked and shared with 6 other girls. Eventually had to leave there as the landlord sold up and spent a year in rented rooms moving every few weeks , then some couch surfing for a bit after my landlord tried to strangle me. Personnel at work managed to get me a Housing Association flat so that I was in a stable place to continue my studies and I moved into my own 1 bed flat at 22. First time in my life that I had some stability. I was dirt poor and couldn't afford to eat most of the time, was probably dangerously underweight, and relied on my boyfriend's mother to feed me most of the time, but happier than I had ever been.

Met my husband-to-be in my first job, but we didn't actually get together for a couple of years, married at 28. He was a competitive racing cyclist representing GB, which kind of kidnapped most of my leisure time when we weren't studying. Mid 20s, we started to get into birdwatching, twitched a round the country for rarities, and clocked up a fairly impressive life list in the UK. By the time I was 30, we had had a birding honeymoon on Fair isle, visited Spain, Israel and Gambia to look for birds. And that set me up for the travel that I have done since we parted out was when I was 40. No children to cramp my style, so did what I wanted.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
18-May-2020 09:21 Message #4780108
I look on that time of my life as the lost years.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
18-May-2020 10:25 Message #4780113
1977 to 1987 for me....

Plenty going on.....but I've already been accused of being complacent on another thread......by the usual suspects...

Maybe I come across that way.....I don't really see it myself.....

Beware saying anything about working hard....or anything successful......The vultures hover.....They hate anyone doing well.....They love pouncing.....
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
18-May-2020 11:33 Message #4780118
I started my wild years early so by my 20s I was ready to settle down. Married and had two children. Bought a house. Started a business. Enjoyed some of the best years of my life although both money and time were scarce.
Male
18-May-2020 11:39 Message #4780121
Smug B'strd......

Only Joking...)
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
18-May-2020 13:45 Message #4780130
OMG anything but! I would strongly advise anyone not to attempt having children, buying a house and starting a business at the same time unless you have a few quid. I was saved by a wife who was 100% behind me with the moral support lol.
Female
LadyVera  Female  Cumbria
18-May-2020 16:18 Message #4780139
Behind every great man ......................................
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire
18-May-2020 16:57 Message #4780140
is a very rich accountant
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
18-May-2020 21:13 Message #4780164
Often very true Zodiac - it is said that the Income and Corporation Taxes Acts now stand at around a 17 feet high pile of paper - so to endeavour to retain a decent share of one's wealth needs some significant expertise.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
18-May-2020 21:22 Message #4780172
What were you doing with your life as you left your teens?

Making a right mess of it, still am; some of us never learn do we.

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
19-May-2020 20:56 Message #4780268
Late teens, I was a ice skater in Pantomime at Wembley, parents had other ideas, and I was sent off to Uni, married far too young.Opted out of Uni - teacher for 3 months - hated it. Various jobs mainly selling, widowed early & left with a mortgage to pay - did 3 jobs - sold wholesale meat by day, carpets by night and 2nd hand clothes weekends, and a few cars in between, most weeks. It was hard but I paid the mortgage off and lived as a singleton for the next 25 years (well, on & off). Met someone else 14 years ago.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
20-May-2020 08:32 Message #4780294
Making a right mess of it, still am; some of us never learn do we.

Are those who are organised and appear to do everything right any happier than the rest of us?
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
20-May-2020 20:24 Message #4780342
I shouldnt think so Hottie, bu it would be nice to have a go at it to find out.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
21-May-2020 08:42 Message #4780359
I suppose it depends on our definition of 'happy'? Oftentimes it's after the event we know or learn such things - as has been said on other threads about other things - but in my case it's more about the unhappiness I brought to others.
Male
21-May-2020 09:23 Message #4780370
I think Ken Dodd sang about happiness.....

Did he?...

no Doddy.....
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
21-May-2020 10:31 Message #4780379
Are those who are organised and appear to do everything right any happier than the rest of us?

Sometimes life is not organisable, our family might change things that changes a direction me otherwise might have chosen?

I wanted to join the WRENS. I didn't, my husband joined the RAF at age 18 so we would have been guaranteed in those days to be posted to different places.

When I ended my marriage in 2006 I wanted to join the Red Cross, but my kids needed me at home.

Otherwise, as a reverse drop out, a personality that didn't need to feel part of a group by smoking, alcohol or drugs. My "fun" was probably more risking life and limb jaunting round the countryside on a big motorbike, and even then I didn't conform to what motorcyclists did.

After two bouts of severe depression, one at age 16 and then a different type in my 50's, I could not be happier.

I think the main thing about being happy, is feeling optimism and hope for the future and those we love, and living in the moment we what we have and walk away from or ignore those who are toxic in our relationships.

Help with conversations