Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Places around the Country are saying.....

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
16-May-2020 12:45 Message #4779893
Sod Off.....We don't want you here......

Touristy places around here don't want any outsiders...

Probably the same all over the country.....all over the world....

People are trying to travel here there and everywhere......

I'm not sure if it;s connected.....but there's been a helicopter flying around here since about 05:00 this morning......I expect it'll start firing missiles at people soon....

Are you travelling anywhere this weekend?......Are you prepared to be 'missiled'?....
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
16-May-2020 15:07 Message #4779910
I am only travelling as far as my feet can carry me.( car is still in the repair garage in lock-down ) I may head for the hills in a minute ( the Alps of Essex ) and on the way back buy myself a bar of hazelnut chocolate to cheer me up tonight ,

Leogirl.
Female
Kallone_1  Female  Devon
16-May-2020 16:44 Message #4779931
I can understand why residents wherever they live do not want outsiders coming into their area during this crisis and while they are trying to distance from others.

I'm in a wheelchair and I've been used to people offering assistance in all sorts of circumstances and since we have all been trying to keep two metres apart I'm still getting the offers which is very nice.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
16-May-2020 17:40 Message #4779944
Sod Off.....We don't want you here......

Quite right too.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
16-May-2020 18:18 Message #4779959
"Sod Off.....We don't want you here......"

Perhaps they don't at the moment!

But give it a few more weeks, when the 'extra paid holiday' scheme ends, and they are all back at work, they will be crying out for tourists to visit their areas! lol.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
16-May-2020 19:35 Message #4779961
I don't blame them, so many people still not at work, no gyms, pubs open so many locals on the streets in the fresh air, tourists may stop some locals going out and that's not fair
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
16-May-2020 21:40 Message #4779968
They can all come here, I will sell them something.
Too many people are scaring themselves, come here and spend money.
Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
17-May-2020 09:16 Message #4779991
I can understand why those who have been stuck indoors for weeks want to stretch their legs and have a pleasant day at the beach or somewhere nice. It's difficult for locals who are trying to remain isolated and observe distancing.
If everyone used common sense and showed respect for others it wouldn't be too much of a problem.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
17-May-2020 09:55 Message #4779997
Many parts of the country, particularly in the north are still vulnerable, they have a higher R number than places further south.
Male
17-May-2020 11:56 Message #4780028
On March 19th the government downgraded the risk of C19, a week later we had lockdown.
They built the Nightingale hospitals, a good idea, thankfully not needed.
It is a seasonal virus, if you notice WHO etc are already scaremongering about next winter!
The safest place to be is outside in the sun, making vitamin D, which is essential to the immune system.
Viruses do not like UV light (sun), and ventilation (wind).
All you need to do is safe distance all of the time!
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
17-May-2020 12:09 Message #4780031
I wouldn't stand for it NotHermit. I would get on the phone to those idiots at the WHO with no credentials and tell them straight. They either listen to you or they will all be dismissed.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
17-May-2020 18:16 Message #4780049
Is it really scaremongering though? Until theres a treatment or a vaccine, it is likely to come up every winter just like flu does, we don't know if or how it will mutate, will it mutate quickly like flu does or will it stay pretty much the same?
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
17-May-2020 18:24 Message #4780052
People are dying so it can hardly be scaremongering.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
17-May-2020 20:39 Message #4780061
I don't understand the sheep mentality of people flocking to the seaside and other major beauty spots at the moment when we are still socially isolating and far from being safe.

No arcades open, no ice cream , no hotels, no public toilets etc..
What's to see or do apart from paddle or swim in polluted water and get sand in places you don't want sand to be....

In Derby, bikers sitting right next to each other and apparently people urinating wherever they like !!
Not the sort of "day out" I want, and nor do the locals.
There will be time enough for all that and something to look forward to without fear.

Of course people want to get out, some have been cooped up for weeks and goodness knows how any one could remain sane in high rise flats.

There are some beautiful parks, boating lakes , woodlands and reservoirs to visit without driving miles from home.

Surely we can all cope for a few more months without risking all we've been through.

Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
17-May-2020 21:25 Message #4780067
No wonder the government struggles to keep sensible policies to protect us when so many of those they are trying to protect behave so recklessly and stupidly.
Male
18-May-2020 22:08 Message #4780185
So lets have a look at what WHO are actually saying then Mr Quiet?
Dr Hans Kluge recently made a speech, saying we should prepare for a 2nd deadly (even more) wave next winter.
He does not go on to say that there may not actually be a 2nd wave, or it maybe less deadly.
Its an interesting statement to make. A virus is at its most destructive when it jumps species, because it is in the wrong host animal. The ultimate aim of a virus is not to kill the host animal (the virus would kill itself), but to adapt to a new host. Eventually it adapts to the new host animal, and causes less destruction. That is why a virus (even Spanish flu), can just seem to settle down.
So although Dr Kluge may prove to be correct, the virus is more likely to settle down.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
18-May-2020 22:16 Message #4780195
No wonder the government struggles to keep sensible policies to protect us when so many of those they are trying to protect behave so recklessly and stupidly.

Therein lies the problem.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
19-May-2020 11:48 Message #4780237
All large companies have disaster recovery plans and countries should have them too. There should at least be a plan in place, so that they know what to do if there is a big second wave. It would be unforgiveable to be caught on the hop a second time, knowing what we know now.

Help with conversations