Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Damning article

From The Business Editor of The Daily Telegraph

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
Maglorian  Male  North Yorkshire
16-May-2020 11:46 Message #4779883
From Ambrose Evans-Pritchard who is International Business Editor of The Daily Telegraph!

"I have been silent on Covid-19 for a while. There was little to be gained from harrying the Government once it had abandoned the misadventure of herd immunity and was at least trying to get a grip. Much of the belated media onslaught is reflexive gotcha-journalism (where were they in February when the mistakes were made?), or hides an ideological agenda.

But claims by both Downing Street and Public Health England that they “got it right” cannot be allowed to stand. Nor can the pretence that each stage of the containment policy is being fed out at just right time and at just the right calibration under the Jupiterian guidance of behavioural theorists.

There was never anything to be gained from delaying the lockdown once the brushfire had slipped control due to lack of testing/tracing. Each three days of prevarication meant a doubling of the infection case load. It was to sink deeper into the quagmire. Nor did the SAGE committee ever have a sufficient grasp of the basic facts to fine-tune the timing, let alone to play God.

The facts will out but it is hard to escape the conclusion that this secretive body – neither institutional fish nor fowl, with opaque responsibilities – gravely misjudged the speed of contagion long after the danger was obvious to virologists, immunologists, and epidemiologists across the world, and indeed to anybody paying attention.

Why does it make sense to impose a two-week quarantine on foreign arrivals at this late stage (excluding Ireland and France), rather than having done so when imported cases were first causing an explosion of infections in a virgin host community?

A Covid cardiologist at a top London hospital – friendly to Boris – has been so incensed by the daily charade of bogus omniscience that he vented his spleen in an email to me on Sunday night. It is a poignant indictment, so I pass along a few snippets.

Basically, every mistake that could have been made, was made. He likened the care home policy to the Siege of Caffa in 1346, that grim chapter of the Black Death when a Mongol army catapulted plague-ridden bodies over the walls.

“Our policy was to let the virus rip and then ‘cocoon the elderly’,” he wrote. “You don’t know whether to laugh or cry when you contrast that with what we actually did. We discharged known, suspected, and unknown cases into care homes which were unprepared, with no formal warning that the patients were infected, no testing available, and no PPE to prevent transmission. We actively seeded this into the very population that was most vulnerable.

“We let these people die without palliation. The official policy was not to visit care homes – and they didn’t (and still don’t). So, after infecting them with a disease that causes an unpleasant ending, we denied our elders access to a doctor – denied GP visits – and denied admission to hospital. Simple things like fluids, withheld. Effective palliation like syringe drivers, withheld.”

The public has yet to realise that the great quest for ventilators was worse than a red herring. The overuse of ventilators was itself killing people at a terrifying ratio and behind that lies another institutional failure.

“When the inquiry comes, it will show that many people died for lack of oxygen supply in hospitals, and this led to early intubation,” writes the doctor. “Boris survived because they gave him oxygen. High flow oxygen wasn’t available as a treatment option for all patients.”
Male
Leyson  Male  South East London
16-May-2020 15:20 Message #4779911
Zzzz, The power/torch of hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Male
16-May-2020 15:21 Message #4779913
Zzzz, The power/torch of hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Male
16-May-2020 15:23 Message #4779915
According to the polls literally millions of people still somehow believe the Tory government is doing a good job in relation to the coronavirus outbreak.

If you're one of these people, please could you tell me which aspect of their coronavirus response you consider the best?

?? Was it Boris Johnson's speech on February 3rd where he talked about his bizarre fantasy of proving the rest of the world wrong by styling himself as 'Superman of Capitalism' to ignore the global pandemic response and keeping British businesses open as usual?

?? Was it Johnson completely giving the game away to a confused looking Phillip Schofield by using pejorative language to attack the idea of doing a "draconian" covid-19 response like South Korea were doing (260 deaths in total!) then using the jovial euphemism "take it on the chin" to describe his favoured strategy of just letting the virus spread like wildfire?

?? Was it when Johnson was pratting around, bragging about shaking hands with coronavirus patients, refusing to abide by his own government's social distancing rules in parliament, and calling the ventilator procurement scheme "operation last gasp"?

?? Was it when the Tories actually put this crackpot pseudo-scientific herd immunity strategy into action. and hard-baked disastrous consequences into our nation's future by suspending mass testing and contact racing on March 13th?

?? Was the interminable foot-dragging on shutdown measures, even after they realised that letting the virus spread like wildfire was going to end up causing far worse economic repercussions than the Test -Trace - Quarantine protocol they had been trying to evade in the first place?

?? Was it their failure to provide adequate protective gear to NHS and care home staff, meaning hundreds of deaths?

?? Was it when they cynically embedded Johnson's henchman Dominic Cummings into their supposedly "impartial" scientific advice group?

?? Was it the absolute shambles of measures for workers that allowed millions to fall through the gaps, and created ludicrous levels of unfairness, which was purely driven by their ideological opposition to the implementation of the far simpler, and much fairer solution of an emergency Basic Income?

?? Was it the way they let the virus ravage care homes, causing tens of thousands of deaths, despite bragging in the early stages that the safety of care homes was one of their main priorities?

?? Was it the way we've surpassed the absolute carnage in Italy and Spain to become Europe's worst hit country, despite having weeks of extra forewarning of what would happen if we 'dithered and delayed'?

?? Was it the way they allowed literally hundreds of thousands of airline passengers to continue coming into the UK, many from other coronavirus hot spots, without any tests, or quarantine measures?

?? Is it the daily parade of incompetents and liars like Matt Hancock, Alok Sharma, Grant Shapps, and Rishi Sunak who have turned the daily coronavirus briefing into a daily Tory propaganda drive?

?? Was it the way they cynically fiddled the figures to pretend they hit the 100,000 people tested per day target they set themselves on deadline day, then let the numbers fall back, meaning they still haven't achieved 100,000+ people tested once, over two weeks after their deadline.

?? Was it the Tory health minister attempting to tone police the junior Labour health minister Rosena Allin-Khan for raising perfectly legitimate concerns about the safety of NHS workers?

?? Was it when they replaced the sensible Stay Home - Protect the NHS - Save Lives slogan with absolute gibberish like "Stay Alert By Washing Your Hands"?

?? Was it the way that the Tories decided that it's somehow fine for domestic cleaners to move from house to house for their work, but that it's unacceptable to meet more than one parent at a time, even in socially distanced situations?

?? Was it when Johnson evaded parliamentary scrutiny to order peo
Male
16-May-2020 15:24 Message #4779916
..... people back to work in a North Korea style televised address from the 'great leader', without even bothering to publish the safety advice for employers first?

?? Was it the fact that they published international death toll comparisons every single day for months, but then when we clearly became the worst affected nation in Europe they scrapped the international comparisons, and started chuntering on about how the comparisons they'd been making for months were now somehow "premature"?

?? Was it the way they brazenly politicised the crisis by forcibly taking over Transport for London, loading it up with debt, undermining subsidised travel for pensioners and children, and wrecking Sadiq Khan's pledge not to hike ticket prices with the London mayoral election due next year?

?? Maybe you just like the fact that tens of thousands of people have died prematurely as a result of Tory government policies because you believe that we actually needed a cull of the elderly, the infirm, NHS workers, care home staff, and other essential workers?

?? Or maybe your rational brain has already realised that you made a horrible mistake by endorsing such a malicious, bone idle, dishonest, and incompetent clown to run our country, but your ego won't allow you to admit that you made such a catastrophic mistake, because to admit it would be to admit your own share of culpability for the absolutely horrifying death toll?

So which of these aspects is the one that's filling you with with such heart-warming pride and joy at the Tory government's utterly catastrophic handling of this crisis that you actually say they've been doing a good job?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
16-May-2020 15:59 Message #4779921
Oh Mags, you copy & paste all that nonsense and no fucker is the least bit interested.
Don't you ever think to yourself "oh why do I bother"?.....
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
16-May-2020 17:09 Message #4779934
Maglorian,

Yes, all very valid points I have seen in my medical interests from nursing. I think, as I have said before, some are remaining quiet because there is not much they do to prove all the evidence from enough sources until all this is over.

I'm not sure they (Johnson et al) are malicious, I just don't think they think and are blindly following the advice of a couple of scientists who are not representative or communicating to check their processes.

In nursing, there is a code of conduct and it states something like we are responsible, even when we don't have the knowledge so there is no excuse to cop out that they are only following the advice of a handful who are operating secretively and think they are above scrutiny.

There is something about Raab's eyes, like a child caught out with the cookie in his hand but still denies he has it. Hard to explain.

The only other reason I can think of at their catastrophic leadership, is back to the taken over by alien thing and they are in on it with the virus. Sorry, it's not funny, but as Anne Widecombe said "Something of the night abut him" but forgot who him was now. There is something Stepford Wives about the whole charade.
Male
16-May-2020 17:33 Message #4779940
Nah, not any valid points, just a deluded rant.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
16-May-2020 17:44 Message #4779948
Maglorian - 16-May-2020 15:24

So which of these aspects is the one that's filling you with with such heart-warming pride and joy at the Tory government's utterly catastrophic handling of this crisis that you actually say they've been doing a good job?

Well it's all a welcome diversion from all the negative detritus that you continually espouse without anything useful to offer as a better way forward.

SQL

(p.s. no I didn't bother to read all your verbiage - my time is far too valuable for that.)
Male
17-May-2020 16:28 Message #4780041
Leyson. Indeed, hindsight is evaluation at mistakes we make. Purposely or accidently, the truth is far brighter than a torch.
Male
17-May-2020 16:33 Message #4780042
Phant. I appreciate you have no interest in questions of conscience and morals. But surely you don't speak for all us "Fu#kers". Just the small cabal that are currently exposing their insanity.
Male
17-May-2020 18:03 Message #4780044
Lyn. I get the, not sure of purposeful malevolence and preferring a positive conclusion, be it badly executed. I see the scientists as a shield they hide behind, but will eventually have nowhere to hide and excuse, when forensic evaluation does uncover this as either ridiculous incompetence or, economically inactive genocide. Time and truth stop for no one.

Your Raabs eyes simile is perfect. I would add the idiom; he resembles the fox guarding the hen house. He seeths and almost snarls when interviewed, as is very noticable when he drops the forced sh*t sandwich smile occasionally.

Stepford wives or Soylent green?
Male
17-May-2020 18:08 Message #4780045
Last but also sadly least, SQL. A better way comes from breaking the delusion of the old way first. If you don't expose the wrong, how can you find the right. Stick with it SQL, your too quick to insult, which I appreciate has derived from your life experiences.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
17-May-2020 20:23 Message #4780060
Maglorian - 17-May-2020 18:08

Last but also sadly least, SQL. A better way comes from breaking the delusion of the old way first.

Don't be sad, just try to think of ways to be positive. Yes I know it's breaking your old habits but your eternal pessimism is known to lead to a shorter life span. try some original thoughts, don't slavishly copy others whom you seem to worship.

Use your brain to act as an individual, there's a wonderful world out there for those who are willing to see.

SQL

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
17-May-2020 21:48 Message #4780070
It's very positive that Raab mislead how many tests have been done, wow, how wonderful that he counted ones that were posted, not results, just in the post was good enough. Wonderful!

Now what else is wonderful, the nursing homes?
No, let's brush that aside and think of the sunshine tomorrow.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
17-May-2020 21:51 Message #4780072
Maglorian - 17-May-2020 18:08

Last but also sadly least, SQL. A better way comes from breaking the delusion of the old way first.

Don't be sad, just try to think of ways to be positive. Yes I know it's breaking your old habits but your eternal pessimism is known to lead to a shorter life span. try some original thoughts, don't slavishly copy others whom you seem to worship.

Use your brain to act as an individual, there's a wonderful world out there for those who are willing to see.

SQL

You feed the troll. Why not let him rant to himself and his imaginary cabal.
Male
18-May-2020 20:58 Message #4780161
SQL - 17-May-2020 20:23

Don't be sad, just try to think of ways to be positive.

How do you define "sad" SQL? The interpretation of sad has many forms. Sad can be "affected by grief and unhappiness", but causation is key. I'm sure your claim to "original thought" may have something new. Thought underlies many human actions and interactions. Thought of self, others, and thought for my children and grandchildrens future. Do you have children SQL? I feel a coldness and mathematical lack of empathy to your discourse. Empathy is a beautiful but painful gift. Sorry for falling below your expected standards of homogenous behaviour.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
18-May-2020 22:07 Message #4780184
Thought of self, others, and thought for my children and grandchildrens future. Do you have children

I feel seriously sorry for your children and grandchildren Maglorian and I wonder if you have several identities in your home life too. You remark to SQL is just another low along with your lows of homophobia and racial descrimination. I doubt you have ever been anything other than the bigoted lowlife you are on this forum.

I doubt even JustLyn can defend your actions.
Male
18-May-2020 23:09 Message #4780203
If you live in a society where others are systematically discriminated against (in the UK that would include disabled people, foreign NHS workers, Windrush Brits, whistleblowers, the working classes ...) you're not really free SQL, you just imagine that you're free because you're indifferent to the injustices of others.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
18-May-2020 23:20 Message #4780204
Did the cat fart?
Male
18-May-2020 23:20 Message #4780205
Did the cat fart?
Male
18-May-2020 23:20 Message #4780206
Did the cat fart?
Male
18-May-2020 23:22 Message #4780207
HotOrWot Male Lancashire
18-May-2020 22:07 new Message #4780184
Thought of self, others, and thought for my children and grandchildrens future. Do you have children

I feel seriously sorry for your children and grandchildren Maglorian and I wonder if you have several identities in your home life too. You remark to SQL is just another low along with your lows of homophobia and racial descrimination. I doubt you have ever been anything other than the bigoted lowlife you are on this forum.

I doubt even JustLyn can defend your actions

I couldn't agree more.
Male
18-May-2020 23:22 Message #4780208
HotOrWot Male Lancashire

I couldn't agree more.
Male
18-May-2020 23:22 Message #4780209
HotOrWot Male Lancashire

I couldn't agree more.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations