Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Nil

Pwants

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
16-May-2020 08:27 Message #4779860
Today would have been 'Nil pwants' day.....

At least the virus has saved us from coming last....

Although maybe next year.....we can come last again.....The votes for next year have already been fixed.....
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
16-May-2020 08:33 Message #4779861
I wouldn't have thought that we will be eligible next year, will we?
Male
16-May-2020 08:39 Message #4779862
They'll always let us in......Just so they can show how much they hate us....

Back in the good old days......they loved us.......Sandie Shaw.....Lulu.......Brotherhood of Man.....Cliff....Bucks Fizz.....Who can forget the ripping off of the skirts....and that was just Cliff.....

Nowadays though.....even Engelbert and Bonnie couldn't save us.....
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
16-May-2020 09:14 Message #4779864
Let's face it, our entries were rubbish.

I don't think England is hated, we've just evolved into bigoted self importance that deserves pity.
We have become famous for our drunks going berserk in International football matches, and having a populate that thinks being great is getting back our Empire.

Probably a laughing stock.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
16-May-2020 09:20 Message #4779867
I think the voting has more to do with which countries are friendly with each other rather than which they don't like. We have had a few good entries but not many and I do feel the quality of entries has gone downhill. In the days of Sandie Shaw our music was much sought after around the world.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
16-May-2020 09:49 Message #4779871
The last time I checked we were still in Europe and anyway the ESC isn't strictly geographic, it's all about who brings in the broadcasting money.
I think given that Israel (in by virtue of their broadcaster being "in bed" with the european broadcaster of the event) and Australia (although they now have to pre-qualify after their special invite) we'd get in if we decide to.
And anyway who else would our main European "pals"!!! pick on to humiliate and take the p out of if not the UK entry.
It's a poisoned chalice and I pity the act that gets chosen for the 2021 event.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
16-May-2020 10:28 Message #4779879
Still entertaining awfulness.

Trevor
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
16-May-2020 10:56 Message #4779880
When you consider the UK is probably the top nation in the world for songwriting and musical talent it does seem odd that we don't walk away with first place every year.
We don't take it seriously, but we don't treat it as a fun event either which clearly narks many Europeans who do, perhaps they see that as arrogance on our part.
To me it demonstrates how we no longer quite fit in with the rest of Europe...
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
16-May-2020 13:35 Message #4779896
I only know one person who watches it and she complains there are too many foreigners in it.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
16-May-2020 17:18 Message #4779936
That says a lot greencare.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
16-May-2020 17:42 Message #4779946
I thought countries deliberately lost so they didnt have to host.
Male
16-May-2020 22:13 Message #4779972
Ireland tried that years ago....but they kept winning......

My favourite part was always the Countries names in 'Foreign'

The United Kingdom comes out sounding a bit like 'The University of Wyoming'.......something like 'Wyoming Uni'

and Cyprus comes out like 'Sheep'
Female
LadyVera  Female  Cumbria
17-May-2020 09:08 Message #4779987
The BBC put on a show last night which included all the songs which would have been sung in the Eurovision Song Contest. I didn't know it was on otherwise I might have watched it or at least have it on in the background. It sounded much better than the contest itself.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
17-May-2020 10:04 Message #4779998
Back in the days , it probably was one of the highlights of the
year....

Looking back last night on all the contests we did win, was very nostalgic but only watched the second part for about 15 mins out of curiosity and because it went ahead in spite of the current situation. It only confirmed my reasons for no longer watching it.

I haven't watched it for years, as it got more and more bizarre and obviously political in the scoring. Apart from that our entries have been totally" underwhelming " , bordering on humiliating.

With all the great song writers and singers in this country ,
what the hec has gone wrong...

Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London
17-May-2020 13:27 Message #4780035
My memories are Sandie Shaw's feet and Cliff Richard singing something and miming the pulling of a lavatory chain.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
18-May-2020 09:23 Message #4780109
With all the great song writers and singers in this country ,
what the hec has gone wrong...

Apart from a few obvious turkey's, e.g. the 2003 entry by Jemini which was the only act from the UK to score the infamous "nil points", (there's a good trivia quiz fact to store away) the problem is the sheer difference in musical tastes across Europe.
How can you possibly work out what format of song would do well in a particular year when you see the Finland entry which won the 2006 contest. Lordi (the Lizard Kings) - Hard Rock Hallelujah.
WTF !!!

And previous fame and success in the music industry is no ticket in Eurovision. We've tried the well known.
Look at 2011 - Blue 15 million record sales, 2012 - Engelbert Humperdinck 140 million record sales,
2013 -Bonnie Tyler 17 albums & 79 singles.
And even Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber who's 2009 entry could only finish 5th (although that was the best result for years).
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
20-May-2020 08:46 Message #4780297
Lordi (the Lizard Kings) - Hard Rock Hallelujah. WTF !!!

It might just be a conspiracy theory but I think David Icke was behind that one.

Help with conversations