Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The demise of the BBC continues

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
14-May-2020 12:59 Message #4779730
The BBC have announced, or are about to, that BBC 4 is going to close down by the end of the year.
I find this very sad as it's one of the few channels that I watch regularly as it carries some interesting stuff from time to time.
It does confuse me at times who they're actually aiming their output at when you get trashy Top of the Pops followed by a serious historical documentary, but the output was/is generally good.
Are we witnessing the slow death of the BBC as we know it?....
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
14-May-2020 14:30 Message #4779736
If BBC 4 is the one I'm thinking of - with history programmes and foreign series/films amongst others, I'd agree it's sad this may happen, though there have been instances in the past where they've talked about axing channels/programmes then not done it.

As for who they're aiming their output at, over the years they've had a lot of stick from all sides over what they do, and if I remember correctly you've had your critiscism of them - that aside though, a lot of people still like Top of the Pops as well as people liking historical/documentaries so how do they cater for all tastes? I would guess money is at the heart of it and here I'll admit to constantly moaning about inequalities of wealth and will never understand why 'celebrities' get paid so much...and if the BBC want people to watch their programmes they are going to have to use these 'celebrities'.

Are we witnessing the slow death of the BBC as we know it? I think this has been happening for years, look at it now compared to 30 years ago, some programmes better, some worse. Maybe it's just pointing the way our society as a whole is going?

Ultimately though, I'd agree with you, it will be sad if BBC 4 goes.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex
14-May-2020 14:49 Message #4779740
It's difficult for the BBC but most of what it broadcasts isn't very good and programmes such as Top of the Pops are available in great quantities on the digital channels.In the past I looked at the BBC for the news but it's now hopeless. It's only real asset is quality dramas but that's not enough to keep viewers watching.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
14-May-2020 16:14 Message #4779760
I suppose terry it's the way of things with content being mixed up but it looks to me as though they're not sure who their audience is supposed to be.
Channel 5 is another such channel, lately on a Saturday evening they've acted all serious and intellectual with some well-made history programmes, yet during the advert breaks they promote their trashy stuff like "The UK's top 10 zit remedies" or "My boyfriend slept with my mum".
I find it all very odd...
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
14-May-2020 18:27 Message #4779769
I like BBC 4. It's a disappointing decision.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
14-May-2020 18:45 Message #4779771
I like BBC 4 too and will be sad to see it go, but I have noticed a large number of repeats over the last few months and not just since Covid, if having fewer channels means more money available for more programs then I'd rather that than both BBC 2 and 4 being starved of content. To be honest I always thought that BBC 4 would compete to much with BBC2. I don't think its just the BBC thats suffering, but ITV and channel 4, the way many people watch tv is different now we have so much more choice, long gone are the days of the whole family sitting down together to watch tv in the evening, now everybody has their own device and watch stuff from multiple sources. It would be nice to see the terrestial channels contract if it meant better programs, really good dramas, really good documentaries and histories as well as the fun stuff and news.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
14-May-2020 20:19 Message #4779781
It's difficult for the BBC but most of what it broadcasts isn't very good and programmes such as Top of the Pops are available in great quantities on the digital channels.In the past I looked at the BBC for the news but it's now hopeless. It's only real asset is quality dramas but that's not enough to keep viewers watching.

Dramas are the only programmes not catered for on the other channels. News, films and documentaries are in every night.
Female
LadyVera  Female  Cumbria
14-May-2020 23:50 Message #4779794
The BBC has brought about its own demise. They stopped making any real effort a long time ago.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon
14-May-2020 23:52 Message #4779796
I hope so end of conversation lol
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
15-May-2020 11:02 Message #4779815
Why is there a (R) after most BBC listings? Sorry rhetorical question.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
15-May-2020 11:07 Message #4779816
The BBC productions are respected around the world for quality presentations. Maybe their demise is because of years of cuts and an enablement of commercial TV and the adverts that come with those.
It's a sad brainwashing of kid's brains and plastic purchases.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
15-May-2020 11:34 Message #4779817
I don't think the BBC has any good excuses. It has been going downhill for a long time and where it has tried to modernise to keep up with tv audiences it has been like a dinosaur putting on some "hip" clothes to look good but failing. They pay wrong people too much money whether on screen or behind the scenes.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
15-May-2020 12:06 Message #4779818
I record then watch numerous programmes on BBC4, mainly about history.

Its removal would be a big loss.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
15-May-2020 12:48 Message #4779819
To some of us television is a big part of our lives. It has everything. Music. Drama. Film. Comedy. Documentaries and Soaps. Looking at tonight's viewing.
BBC 1.
Question of sport,
My Family. Repeat.
Not going out. Repeat.
Have I got news for you.
Peter Kayes car share. Repeat.
News.
Graham's Norton.
Comedy film.

BBC 2.
Rick Stein. Repeat.
Great British Menu.
Gardeners world.
Jools Holland.
News.
Film drama.

BBC 4.
Stunning soloists.
Top of pops 1989.
Kermode and Mayo. New series.
Top of pops 1989.
Eurovision behind the scenes.
Dana. Story behind her winning Eurovision.

That's it. ITV, CH4 and CH5 look similarly bad.

Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
15-May-2020 13:28 Message #4779820
The beeb has steadily been going downhill for ages. It's not so much that the beeb is any worse than the other channels but that we have so much choice we can all pick and choose our preferred programmes.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
15-May-2020 14:17 Message #4779824
"Are we witnessing the slow death of the BBC as we know it?...." asks the O.P.

Well I do hope so.
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire
15-May-2020 15:59 Message #4779827
R means the programme is a repeat Neros1954
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
15-May-2020 17:56 Message #4779833
A load of people are making a fortune out of the BBC.....I expect any high powered ones will make sure it doesn't end.....

I used to like the skiing.....but that's been going downhill for ages...

The mountain climbing was quite good as well....and that's going uphill....
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
15-May-2020 20:12 Message #4779845
The only channel I check for "what's on" these days is BBC4, the 9pm to 11pm slots. Some darned good stuff on there. I have Gardeners World, HINFY and a couple of other regular progs on automatic record and the news channel is on a lot, sometimes Parliament Channel. Otherwise I tend to auto record mostly light entertainment from the other channels to watch without the adverts. Quite a few of them are reruns of BBC series from years back.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London
17-May-2020 13:41 Message #4780037
I can't see how the BBC can survive and be publicly funded. It has far too little to offer.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
17-May-2020 18:08 Message #4780046
Its not certain that BBC4 will close, its just being talked about apprently.
Male
18-May-2020 09:20 Message #4780107
I had given up on the BBC and then I read Andromeda's post showing the evenings schedule and became excited and couldn't wait to switch the telly on.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
18-May-2020 16:15 Message #4780137
Do i detect a little sarcasm?
Male
18-May-2020 22:14 Message #4780193
Do i detect a little sarcasm?

Just a bit lol.
Male
20-May-2020 08:42 Message #4780296
I arrived home just before 9pm last night and switched on the tv for something to watch as I ate a snack. Give BBC a go I thought.
BBC ONE. The Word episode 3 of 6. Can't join a series part way through.
BBC TWO. Coronavirus Special. I think I see and hear plenty on this subject.
BBC FOUR. The First Georgians episode 1 of 3. Another series so I recorded all three episodes in case it is any good.
I flicked through the channels and ended up watching an old showing of Who Wants to be a Millionaire as I like quiz shows but I wished I'd decided to read a book instead.

Help with conversations