Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

I went to the garden centre

and it was sooo good

1 2 Next   Last  

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
13-May-2020 18:44 Message #4779667
Yesterday the garden hose discombulated itself and soaked more of me than the plants, my slippers were making farting noises when I walked they were so wet. So we've got a brand new extendable thingy that fits in a box, its great, and we got pots for mums patio trees and some plants. I was surprised at few people were about.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
13-May-2020 19:41 Message #4779669
I bet it was a lovely sense of freedom being in there.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
14-May-2020 08:55 Message #4779696
I want to go to the garden centre but I enjoy wandering around looking at everything before I buy. I wonder if the numbers will be monitored with a one in-one out as they are doing in the shops. They will be trying to get you back out as quickly as possible.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
14-May-2020 08:58 Message #4779698
Depends on how much you, re spending greencare lol if you, re spending mega bucks they won't be ushering you out quick lol
Female
14-May-2020 11:09 Message #4779714
Ours was using social distancing, they had a stack of red baskets everyone had to take one, when the baskets were gone no one else was allowed in until people came out with their baskets. They didn't seem that bothered by browsing, I think they know that people need to take time choosing the right plant or if they're making a huge purchase like new garden furniture then they need to get it right.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
14-May-2020 11:18 Message #4779716
That red basket process seems a very simple monitoring system - like a slow Covid relay race lol.
Female
14-May-2020 19:13 Message #4779774
Not really as a staff member cleans them before they're given to another customer.

The new hose is like a big yellow willy! The water dosent coome out until you put the spray end on and then you feel it tummesce and then when you turn it off it detummesces and shrivel up in your hand whilst having decreasing spurts of water coming out the end of it!
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
15-May-2020 08:45 Message #4779806
Thankyou, wh, for placing some very disturbing images into my mind.
Female
15-May-2020 10:33 Message #4779811
You're welcome Minnie, it was one of those things you have to share the whole experience was disturbing.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
15-May-2020 10:55 Message #4779813
Do you quietly smile when using it?
Female
15-May-2020 18:53 Message #4779842
No I want to run away screaming, but I can't.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
15-May-2020 20:30 Message #4779848
My daughter was at a garden centre when I rang her this afternoon. Don't know what she was buying. Her garden is even smaller than mine. 3 people couldn't socially distance in it.

I've got a hose like yours WH. I lodged it in my apple tree at the allotment yesterday, it escaped and drenched me from head to foot, rearing up in the air like a spitting Cobra. Mind you, it beats having to coil up the plastic variety when the watering's finished.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
16-May-2020 12:10 Message #4779890
I went to a garden centre yesterday. Well organised as numbers allowed in were limited but only a 10 minute wait In the queue. Staff around the shop keeping everyone distanced. Payment was by card only. No problems at all and now looking at lots of pots waiting to be put into the garden.
Female
16-May-2020 17:59 Message #4779951
I need some summer bedding plants, but its a bit early for them yet and a bit late for the spring stuff. At least I got loads more tomato plants potted up properly and the aubergenes, just the peppers to into their big pots now, but first I have to move the peas and beans out, but thats a job for tomorow, that and the endless meditation thats called weeding, then its on to the big jobs, like digging out a space for a pond and reorganising and enlarging the ornamental garden.

Does anyone know how to take cuttings from peonies? My neighbour has a fantastic deep red one that I'd love a cutting from.

Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire
17-May-2020 10:20 Message #4780000
wonderoushen,

I Googled - Soft-stemmed perennials like peonies can be propagated by cuttings—provided that you cut far enough down the stem. Peony stems start in “eyes” that emerge from rhizomes just under the surface of the soil. Cuttings of the rhizome and growing from seed are the reliable ways to propagate these perennials. They can also be divided - Peonies can be divided or transplanted whenever the plant is dormant. They can be divided in the early spring provided that strong growth hasn't yet set in. If shoots have appeared above the ground, they can still be divided without harm to the plant if leaf development has not yet begun.

Good luck!
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London
17-May-2020 13:25 Message #4780034
Might try a garden centre today if they're not too busy. Quite a few bits and pieces I want.
Female
17-May-2020 18:13 Message #4780048
I did have a look on line at how to take cuttings, it looked like a faff, so I think I'll stich to buying them as they're not to dear.

All my beans and peas are in now, a nice cloudy day to do it too, now I've just got the squashes to go into big boxes, the winter veg to pot on and more weeding, always more weeding.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
18-May-2020 09:05 Message #4780105
I wouldn't know where to start.
Male
18-May-2020 11:29 Message #4780116
I know how you feel HoW. I think I bought lavender, hebe, pinks and sone yellow plants and some red ones. Not sure what they all were or when they should be planted but I've plenty of time so will be out in the garden today.
Although I don't know what I'm doing people do comment on how colourful my garden is.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
22-May-2020 09:30 Message #4780482
I went to a garden centre yesterday and stocked up with a few things. Missed the usual hot drink and cream bun though.
Male
22-May-2020 17:30 Message #4780554
I've planted things and watered things so fingers crossed I could write a book on all the things I don't know about gardening! Some are probably obvious to those who dabble outdoors such as ... how much water to give plants? Do you only water the roots or the flowers/greenery too? When is the best time of day to water? Hose or watering can?

I need a mate like Monty Don.
Female
22-May-2020 19:03 Message #4780567
As a general rule water at the roots or fill up the saucer the plants in, the plants should suck up all the water in a saucer within 5 mins, if they don't then they have enough so tip it away, unless the pot starts floating then you need to get a bucket of water and soak the whole plant, pot and all so as the soil gets properly wet. You may have to repot with fresh compost if they get to dry. As a general rule, poke your finger down the side of the pot, to the first knuckle for small pots, second for slightly bigger pots and all the way down for really big ones, if the soil feels wet then you don't need to water, if moist then maybe top up a little and if dry give it a good water. Watering is best done in the evening or early morning, plants prefer water to be the same temperature as the air and not freezing cold as it shocks the roots. Be careful about getting water on leaves or stems when the sun is high, as water droplets will act as a lens and cook the plant.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Male
22-May-2020 23:20 Message #4780604
Thank you wonderoushen that is very helpful. You are my Monty Don.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
30-May-2020 08:21 Message #4781504
Sound like you're getting green fingers LOLOL.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
3-Jun-2020 23:29 new  Message #4782052
I went to a garden centre to collect some plants which my elderly neighbour had ordered online. A pleasant experience as everyone was friendly and a few of us had takeaway coffees and sat outside enjoying the cooler weather.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations