Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

To warm the cockles

of your heart

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
7-May-2020 11:42 Message #4779164
Where the heck does that saying come from???

Kids and animals are great for raising a smile, for making us feel all warm inside...though they can also bring out frustration and anger and all sorts of other emotions.

So let's put the worries, the fears, the critiscisms aside for a minute and look for the simple, happier things to talk about.

Today I read a story about a four year old girl going through cancer treatment who hasn't been able to see her dad for a number of weeks because he was working and the risk of infection was too great; he's now been laid off by his company and done his time in quarantine and the smile on the little girl's face when she is able to hug her dad is a beautiful picture of happiness...brought tears to my eyes. Ok I know it's probably one of those 'social media' stories designed to tug at our heart strings but what the heck....I liked it.

What heartwarming stories could you add?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
8-May-2020 10:49 Message #4779226
The saying comes from the Latin "chochleae cordis" or ventricles in the heart.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
9-May-2020 14:33 Message #4779341
Thanks WH. I had often wondered.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
22-May-2020 23:18 Message #4780603
Ive seen a lot heartwarming incidents from so many people since this pandemic took hold.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
1-Jun-2020 22:06 Message #4781875
Jesse Dufton, the first blind lead of a climb of The Old Man of Hoy in Orkney. Apparently there is a programme on BBC 4 or iPlayer - 'Climbing Blind' - of his attempt, not to everyone's taste I accept, but one heck of an achievement for him and possibly an inspiration to other people with sight restriction or loss.

Help with conversations