Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What two pieces

of music

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
6-May-2020 00:31 Message #4779059
Listening to the radio tonight they were doing a programme on one particular song and it reminded me of when my musical tastes 'properly' evolved.
The two songs that shaped my taste in music I think were:

Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon and Garfunkel (this was the song on the radio programme)
and
Angie, by Bert Jansch

Anyone else care to comment about what might have shaped their musical tastes?
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire
6-May-2020 00:40 Message #4779060
Lou Reed, "Walk on the Wild Side"
Leonard Cohen "So Long Marianne"
.....difficult to hone it down to only 2 artists or only 2 songs:)
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
6-May-2020 00:55 Message #4779061
I agree about the difficulty of honing it down to two songs....I mentioned the two I did because although I'd listened to and liked various different artists/songs from before those, they were the ones that developed a preference for style of music...which incidently led to my first hearing Leonard Cohen doing 'Bird on a Wire' and liking his music until this day.
Although I'd say I have a varied taste, my favourites have always been for more acoustic and storytelling...and lyrics I can actually hear.
It doesn't have to be just two songs.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
6-May-2020 01:10 Message #4779062
Two as a kid that I used to play over and over on the old record player that we had.....

Both of them are Danny Kaye songs....

The Little Fiddle....

and

Tubby the Tuba...

Brilliant songs......learning about instruments and sounds etc.....

They are both on youtube....

With regards to more 'Hit Parade' stuff.......The Beatles and some other 60's stuff......It's difficult to pick 2.....something like Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Tich......perhaps......I'll have more of a think.....
Female
6-May-2020 01:46 Message #4779064
I'm with you on the importance of good, particularly narrative, lyrics Terry.
I also think that significant songs at a particular time, influence one's musical tastes for life.
I am so grateful to the boyfriend I met on my 15th birthday: it was him who introduced me to Leonard Cohen (as well as Simon & Garfunkel) and not only do I still love these artists, but, as you say, it leads you down the road of discovery.
"So long Marianne" was the first Leonard Cohen song I ever heard, and last year as I, and my friends, sailed into the harbour at Hydra (where Leonard lived and wrote those songs) a young guy from the Netherlands stood up with his guitar and started singing that song. As soon as he srarted, most of the other passengers on the ferry also stood up and joined in. It was a magical moment, and appropriate that song had followed me down the years to that moment:)
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
6-May-2020 12:02 Message #4779098
similar to what i think cassis was alluding to, i think it was my "peers" at the time that shaped my taste in music when i was in my teens, and as i have got older it is a song at a moment in time that has formed taste and genre.

musical taste is an evolution, eg, a song i would choose to have played at my funeral when i was in my 30,s i wouldnt entertain now !
Male
brisinger-the-beekeeper  Male  Lancashire
6-May-2020 13:26 Message #4779108
We are going to play "I Just Wanna be a Sheep" just to freak everyone out at Ma's funeral ROFL. It's one of those that you can't get out of your head because it's catchy. I'm not religious and didn't want any standard hymns but her childhood friend's husband is a lay preacher. I had the Minister in stitches when I asked whether we'd get away with it.
Ma had a passion for animals and knitting and a wicked sense of humour so I don't want any sadness. The sadness was when she had Alzheimer's; watching it destroy her to the core and all the battles I had to face. The happiness is that she is no longer suffering and we can move forward.

Possibly another is "Annita veneno" a beautiful song for dancing contemporary and solo Zouk styles.
Male
6-May-2020 13:26 Message #4779109
I just wanna be a sheep - https://youtu.be/tpYgYoNGM38
Annita veneno - https://youtu.be/dPAM6OnRfWQ
Male
6-May-2020 13:32 Message #4779110
The big joke was when Sydney Charisse, a friend a professional Zouk star performed a dance routine to Annita - "veneno" and it was banned on Facebook for being too raunchy. HaHaHa.
Male
jerrycornelious  Male  Cheshire
6-May-2020 20:33 Message #4779125
Well being a child of the 60's my initial musical taste was honed by the likes of Hank Marvin (Shadows) Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac) Hendrix (Experience) Eric Clapton (Yardbirds CREAM) Jeff Beck (Yardbirds) etc. However my absolute favourite piece of music which invokes so many childhood memories of my friends mum sitting at the piano quietly playing, is 'Jesu Joy of Mans Desiring'. She would regularly play this and it became a firm favourite. Another piece from my childhood is Aker Bilk 'Stranger on the Shore' of cause made popular by the TV series of the same name. Lastly would be Peter Green's .Albatross. released I think in 1968.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
7-May-2020 12:15 Message #4779170
I too love Leonard Cohen. I have mos of his records/tapes. My favourite has to be Suzanne.

I also like I dreamt I dwelt in Marble Halls by Flowers girls..... quite uplifting (to me)
Male
7-May-2020 13:28 Message #4779173
I used to listen to Leonard Cohen when I was on the ships.....There was always someone with a cassette of his.......

Going off track a bit from the original subject.....I would take all different types of music away with me....on cassette.....It's all we had aboard ship....Our own cassette players....I would lie in my cabin and go from The Carpenters to Heavy Metal and back...I loved The Carpenters.....

We would go to the bar that we ran ourselves.....and play our stuff.....

In the bar, it was usually more Rock and Heavy....and Leonard.....not so much The Carpenters.....they were for me in the cabin....

Also a couple of us ashore one night, heard this brilliant Donna Summer album playing in a bar in Spain.......We both went out and bought it next day....and used to sit in each others cabins playing this over and over.....
Male
jerrycornelious  Male  Cheshire
7-May-2020 16:43 Message #4779179
Another possibly defining piece would be Telstar by the Tornadoes. Probably the first of the electronic genre of music and opened up the opportunities for the likes of Tangerine Dream, some tracks from The Nice 5 Bridges Suite, Vangelis, Jean Michelle Jar, Rick Wakeman's Yes and Kraftwerk.
Male
7-May-2020 17:12 Message #4779181
Some good ones in there jerry......Telstar brings back memories...

Then 'Yes'......I've been a big fan.....Jon's unique voice.....and Rick doing his magic.....then the Jon and Vangelis stuff.....

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
7-May-2020 22:11 Message #4779196
Gary Barlow sung it today. "Annie's Song" by John Denver

"Killing Me Softly" by Roberta Flack.

...and can I sneak in "Woman" by John Lennon?
Female
8-May-2020 03:30 Message #4779202
VIC
Re Leonard Cohen....Have you listened to "Thanks for the Dance" album? The last one, which he created when he was dying, his son Adam working with him and finishing it after Leonard's death. I find it so moving and typically saying what no-one else could have said so well. He was using it to reflect on his life and enable himself to embrace death as a friend. Far from being depressingly morbid, I find it uplifting. "Thanks for the dance....it was hell, it was swell, it was fun".

One other song that I love is Joni Mitchell's, "Cary". It's about her time in Matala, Crete, living in the hippie caves. I spent the best 3 or 4 weeks of my life living on that beach, and though later than Joni, that song puts me right back there. Maybe that's a big part of our love of certain songs and music, that it is the reliving of the most meaningful and significant phases of our lives.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
8-May-2020 10:20 Message #4779221
I think one of mine was Stevie Wonder's album Fulfilingness First Finale and Bowie in his Slim White Duke phase, Stevie Wonder led me to other funk and soul, like Parliament.. My really early influence was Maria Callas, I think enforced listening to opera led to my lifelong appreciation of singing, when I hear a song my first thoughts are not for the words but for the singing, how easy or challenging it would be to sing.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
8-May-2020 10:48 Message #4779225
Almost impossible for me to limit it to two. More a collection of early influences and all still enjoyed. Not in any particular order.
A Wishbone Ash concert on radio 2 on a Saturday night
Tapestry album, Carole king
In a broken dream, Python Lee Jackson aka Rod.
This old heart, Rod again
Vincent, Don Maclean
Angie, the Stones.
Love that Burns/ Need your love/ Black Magic Woman, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. Eat your heart out Santana at the third one.
In fact, most of Peter Green's slow blues songs.
Smoke on the Water, Deep Purple
All along the Watch Tower, Hendrix
Stairway to heaven, Led Zep.
Layla, Clapton
Samba pa ti, Santana
Jonathan Kelly, the Ballad of Cursed Anna
A Jethro Tull album that I no longer remember the name of.
oh, Bridge Over troubled Water is there too, and I still like that, even though I have never liked anything else they did.

There is a theme there, I'll leave you to work it out.
Male
8-May-2020 11:13 Message #4779229
Some other early influences on me....

The Seekers.....with the wonderful Judith Durham

and then in the 70's...I was a big REO Speedwagon fan.....
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside
8-May-2020 17:01 Message #4779246
One would find it difficult, nay, impossible to list merely two songs, as an enduring influence. However, one is always intrigued by those who stray from the path, so to speak. With that in mind, one would choose ( for today, at least ) The Body by The Necks. And Pampered Menial by Pavlov's Dog. The contemporary, in the former. And the past in the latter.
Female
8-May-2020 17:29 Message #4779251
Carole King, "Tapestry" great choice MINNIE

Judith Durham, TUMBLED? She was my dad's favourite.....you can't be all bad if you share his tastes, Tumbled;)
Male
8-May-2020 18:34 Message #4779257
Thanks Cass.....What a voice she has....

Speaking of Dads favourites......a couple of my Dads favourites were Nat King Cole.....and Russ Conway., the pianist....so I was influenced by them.....

and then some of that piano....and then organ type stuff....it carried on to a love of fairground organs.....Perhaps some of it is just the fairground magic, but those organs are brilliant in their own way.....
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
9-May-2020 11:58 Message #4779316
terry. Angie by Bert Jansch is great listening. Funny how Angie appears so much in the music industry. I like so much music it's difficult to narrow down but two which often pop into my head are...

In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry.

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by Roberta Flack.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
9-May-2020 13:15 Message #4779323
I have heard it CASSIS. I was moved to tears. It brought back a lot of personal memories for me.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
9-May-2020 13:18 Message #4779325
Cassis, I have a live recording of Cohen "Live in London", also featuring Sharon Robinson, recorded at the O2 Arena on 17 July 2008. I rarely buy live CDs but I did on this occasion, as it has most of my favourites and the musical arrangement is lovely. I think I first watched it on Youtube, and it might still be there if you search for it.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations