Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Bank Holidays

Whats the point?

1 2 Next   Last  

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
30-Apr-2020 11:30 Message #4778521
What the point of bank holidays when the country's in lockdown and people arn't going to work anyway or they're in the sort of job where theres a bank holiday is just another day. So many work in sectors where a bank holiday is a normal working day, probably a busier working day because of the inequalities in who gets time off and who dosen't and in store promotions, should we do away with bank holidays and give people those days as extra mandatory holiday leave? You could take those days for religious celebrations is you're that way inclined, you could take them as a lump or you could have a few long weekends throughout the year, or take them so as you can go to your childs sports day or school play.

What would be the positives and negatives for business, I can see that some in the hospitality sector would miss it as bank holidays bring in hoards of people, but then people might visit in more managable numbers over a longer season. The season seem to be getting longer anyway extending up to xmas and new year and early spring holidays seem to be becoming more popular too with different groups being targeted at different times of the year. We seem to get lots of bird watchers coming to see arrivals and departures of migratory birds, this sort of thing seems to be an increasing part of how tourism is developing. I don't know about other sectors, hairdressing probably wouldn't be impacted as most are shut on mondays anyway.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
30-Apr-2020 11:53 Message #4778523
In all the jobs I've had....you work the bank holidays....if your shifts fall on those days....

On the ships, for instance, there were no bank holidays.....I can't remember the pay system for working them though, as it was long ago..

The 12 hr shifts that I've worked for most of my life.....The shift pattern was right round the clock, covering every day of the year.....so if you're shifts were on a bank holiday, you worked them.....even Christmas day...

However, the annual leave for shift workers is usually different......The 'working world' is usually geared for normal 9 to 5 type stuff....8 hour day type things, 5 days a week.....with bank holidays off....

Our 12 hr shift leave was worked out in hours based on the 'normal'.....plus all the bank holidays added on......so we didn't actually lose the bank holidays.....they were just hidden in another way.....

So the total was all worked out in 'hours'.....and if you were taking a day off then you had to take 12 hours off....rather than 8 hours for a normal person....

We did find sometimes that HR didn't always understand it.....as most people with the company were 'normal' working hours.....and us shift workers were the 'weird freaks'.......working weird hours.....
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk
30-Apr-2020 12:11 Message #4778525
Last 25 yrs if my shift fall on a Bank Hol I have to work it.. and no day in lieu even Xmas
I have not had a full xmas off in the whole 25 yrs except when i had an accident
9-5 day staff get the day off . Xmas they hardly work at all as take AL for the days in between...so get 2 weeks off
Female
30-Apr-2020 12:11 Message #4778526
Last 25 yrs if my shift fall on a Bank Hol I have to work it.. and no day in lieu even Xmas
I have not had a full xmas off in the whole 25 yrs except when i had an accident
9-5 day staff get the day off . Xmas they hardly work at all as take AL for the days in between...so get 2 weeks off
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
30-Apr-2020 12:18 Message #4778531
Yes for the "normal" 9 to 5 brigade the actual number of weeks worked (incl Bank Holidays) is 44 weeks near as dammit.

It is popular to take 4 weeks annual leave in a week with a Bank Holiday so you get a 9 day break from work (incl the 2 weekends).
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
30-Apr-2020 12:21 Message #4778532
Typo - popular to take 4 DAYS annual leave ...
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
30-Apr-2020 12:54 Message #4778536
In lockdown there isn't much point but you might as well say the same about weekends at the moment.
In normal times Bank holidays can be a nice earner for many workers, yeah there will be those who moan that they get nothing, but many workers get a bonus.
In a previous job I used to get double-time and a day in lieu....
Female
30-Apr-2020 15:52 Message #4778549
Hierophant
If it was our normal shift got + 60% for bank hol and sundays..

if an extra shift ( covering for someone ) used to get + 60% and a day in lieu
now.. just a smaller % extra pay... never had double time...
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
30-Apr-2020 17:08 Message #4778553
It very much depends on the kind of job you do. I used to so look forward to Bank Holidays. They were my one relaxation.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
30-Apr-2020 19:24 Message #4778567
I still work full time, am working full time at home in lockdown, bank holidays very much have a point from my perspective. I look forward to the break.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
30-Apr-2020 19:37 Message #4778569
The one next week has moved from Monday to Friday........for special VE day celebrations....

When they announced the change, life was still 'normal'......so I'm not sure what celebrations there are now......
Female
1-May-2020 10:49 Message #4778610
What another one?
Male
1-May-2020 21:41 Message #4778684
Well if you're a politics geek like me you'll be interested to know BBC Politics are showing the general election night coverage from the 2010 election next Friday, which just happens to be a Bank holiday.
Quite incredible to think it's 10 years since the Cameron/Clegg coalition govt - I remember posting about it on here and conversing with speedypete.
And let's not forget Labour haven't had a look in since.... lol
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
3-May-2020 10:03 Message #4778804
As my son has no choice but to work at the moment, I'm sure he will be looking forward to the 2 this month.

As for those out of work or retired , they are of no consequence , even under "normal " circumstances.

Female
3-May-2020 10:50 Message #4778825
I think for many of those who have to work, they're of no consequence, they're just treated as normal contracted working days by a lot of employers, theres no multiples of pay, just normal minimum wage.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
3-May-2020 10:54 Message #4778828
Although I tended to work them, or do my volunteering on them, I quite liked Bank Holidays...they always seemed less rushed. Personally I'd be sad to see them go because for all that work stopped recognising them in the same way, they were points in the year that could be fixed on, they gave/give a point of reference for many people.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
3-May-2020 19:23 Message #4778872
I still need bank Holidays, work with extra pay or day off paid even in lockdown as working from home, be lovely if they shut down shops etc on bank Holidays now,
Female
4-May-2020 10:14 Message #4778894
Euro, then we'd go back to having two sundays in a week, with nothing open, reduced bus service and boredom, thats my memories of sundays and bank holidays boredom. You're lucky to get extra pay for many its just a normal day with normal pay and just another way that inequality manifests.
Male
4-May-2020 10:39 Message #4778895
Oh come on wonderoushen, you haven't worked for as long as I've known you on here and by your admission you don't go out much, so where do you get all your facts about this stuff? I certainly wouldn't go by everything you read in the Guardian.
Of course, not everybody gets lots of benefits from Bank holidays, but many workers do...
Female
4-May-2020 12:21 Message #4778909
How come two Sundays? In a week supermarket's open on Sunday hours on bank Holidays, this lock down surely has proved you don't need shops open every day, people stockpiled for a month or more, for workers it's precious time for family, friends or their own physical and mental health, also for the tourist economy, people can spend Bank Holidays seeing everything cultural this country has to offer I stead of food shopping just cos they can, a three day weekend for a 9_5 worker is actual bliss
Female
4-May-2020 19:00 Message #4778947
I'm unable to work because of various health problems as I'm sure you know Hiero.

Euro, I was thinking back to sundays of my childhood and teenage years when shops were shut and so was just about everything else. If you were able to get somewhere cultural it might of been alright, but many people couldn't and all those who staff cultural palces have to work a bank holiday. I agree its good for the tourist economy and for some families, there have been times in my working life where I was glad of a bank holiday but others where I wasn't as it meant loss of income. As a young person I found bank holidays not so good for either my physical or mental health. But the world of work has changed so much since I was young and I wonder how many people actually have bank holidays off or are they contracted to work them for normal pay, thats what I meant by inequality, I know there are some who do get paid extra, but that to me is a further inequality.
Female
4-May-2020 19:30 Message #4778951
W/hen, we are coming from different places lol as a child bank Holidays were an extra day off school to spend with family, as a worker in a pub it was a delight to work, extra pay and everyone happy so more tips, now as a,, 9_5 with ten yr old child a nice three days off to play lol
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
5-May-2020 10:55 Message #4778994
Haven't read all of this. But bank holidays has a point,. We may be in 'lock-down' but people are still working, from home, deliveries, supermarkets, etc. Even if there's not a lot you can do. But, things are looking up. touch wood. Waiting to see todays figures for new contagions, deaths appear less.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
20-May-2020 11:47 Message #4780318
Waiting to see todays figures for new contagions, deaths appear less.

Yes appear maybe, but not in reality.

Another 5,914 deaths (that we know about) in the last 15 days since that post.
The total is now 521 deaths/million of population, again putting the UK near the top (4th) of the global list.

And today the global cases total tipped over the 5 million mark.
Obviously now just chip paper news as it didn't even feature on the headlines.

But I hear that suggestions have been made for an additional Bank Holiday on 26th October to tie in with the 1st day of the school half-term.
Autumn, the day after the clocks go back. Ideal for a Bank Holiday. At least we'll be used to it being like the others we've had in 2020.
Indoors.!!
lol
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
20-May-2020 13:40 Message #4780325
But you don't have to spend this coming one Indoors SG
You can pack a picnic and drive to one of the exotic locations in Essex!! lol.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations