Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Hope you are all stocked up...

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
23-Apr-2020 11:22 Message #4777737
and getting a grip because lockdown is going to go on for the forseeable future.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
23-Apr-2020 13:04 Message #4777747
the only thing I desperately need is a few rain showers to make a success of my vegetable garden !!!!!

leogirl.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire
23-Apr-2020 13:28 Message #4777749
Oh that is nice and cheerful haha
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
23-Apr-2020 19:01 Message #4777755
I'm putting my Christmas tree up as we speak and trying to work out how to make a six foot cracker that you can pull whilst maintaining social isolation....

Don't worry got 8 months to design it
;)
Female
23-Apr-2020 19:02 Message #4777756
I'm putting my Christmas tree up as we speak and trying to work out how to make a six foot cracker that you can pull whilst maintaining social isolation....

;)
Female
23-Apr-2020 19:02 Message #4777757

;)
Female
23-Apr-2020 19:04 Message #4777758
Ooooerr....what happened there
Got it in triplet :/
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
23-Apr-2020 20:00 Message #4777760
Where you all been ?
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
23-Apr-2020 20:00 Message #4777761
Where you all been ?
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
23-Apr-2020 22:32 Message #4777773
Nobody needs to stock up more shops will open slowly, we all just need to social distance for a long time and be sensible
Female
23-Apr-2020 22:32 Message #4777774
Nobody needs to stock up more shops will open slowly, we all just need to social distance for a long time and be sensible
Female
23-Apr-2020 22:32 Message #4777775
Female
LadyVera  Female  Cumbria
23-Apr-2020 22:49 Message #4777778
Nobody needed to stock up at any time. It was only those panic buying which caused the problems. Staying in, social distancing and washing hands is the way forward.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
24-Apr-2020 05:22 Message #4777782
I don't think all the problems were caused by panic buying, eggs and fruit and veg are still in short supply, hardly any salad stuff in Sainsburys or Aldi today, I cant believe its still down to panic buying, chickens are still laying, and salad stuff doesn't keep long!
I reckon there is some kind of ulterior motive by supermarkets to keep stuff in short supply.

Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
24-Apr-2020 08:59 Message #4777792
I've never been more pleased that I have almost everything delivered so I've not experienced any crowds, queues or shortages. I've done this for the past 5 years.
The supermarket delivers every week. The milkman every other day, he can also deliver fresh veg, bread etc when required. Newspaper on a Saturday. Even most other purchases I make online with next day delivery if required.
Apart from the toilet roll shortage (I was happy to use newspaper if necessary) I haven't noticed much difference.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
24-Apr-2020 18:56 Message #4777839
I think there is still panic buying, not as much as there was but some shop staff told me its still happening, lots of places are still tying to keep up with demand, like millers and whathaveyou. Chicken do sometimes lay less at this time of year, they go broody and hide eggs so as they can sit on them, but I suspect they're being bought up by the same people who are buying baking goods en masse, plus all those who'd have their fry ups in a cafe are having to do it themselves.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
24-Apr-2020 19:11 Message #4777843
Went for my weekly outing today.....To Tesco.....Not sure if I should be, but I did.....

Arrived about 11.00....There was a whacking great queue....Snaking around part of the car park.....4 snakes about 100 yards each, plus all the extra.....

The queue didn't move for about 30 minutes.....I heard that they were only letting 30 in the shop at any one time....and it's a big Tesco Extra......

But then they started letting more in...and then one out, one in.....I think the 30 was for the vulnerable hour, which I suppose I should have used......But according to my letter, I'm not allowed out at all for 12 weeks....so they may have sent me home....
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
24-Apr-2020 19:55 Message #4777845
You should be a late afternoon/evening shopper, hardly any queues, car parks nearly empty, went to three shops yesterday teatime, no queueing at any of them.
Some stuff was in short supply though, but managed to get all I wanted :-)
Female
24-Apr-2020 22:31 Message #4777857
I'm not sure why shoppers are still using large supermarkets at busy times. Today in the morning I ordered some diy bits on click and collect and picked them up in the afternoon. I called at a smaller supermarket on the way home which had no queue but was only allowing a limited number in at a time. Popped my head in the door and was waved in. There was a limit of one essential item per customer. Bought everything I needed and shop was well stocked.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
25-Apr-2020 00:00 Message #4777871
I'm glad that Bury Market is still open because I can get most of my stuff from there at the usual price rather than them hiking the prices. Not had the hassle of queues as I breeze past the supermarket queue and get what I want cheaper and better quality. It's rather ironic watching people standing for ages doing a single supermarket shop when you can breeze past them and support your local independent retailers for the same products at better quality, cheaper and get home quicker.
Male
25-Apr-2020 08:30 Message #4777878
Our area is full of housing estates.....Tesco is always busy anyway.....There is an Asda a mile or so in the other direction....about half the size of Tesco....

In the last four or five weeks, I've been out 5 times.....Tesco 3...Asda...2

Tesco always the busiest....but it's on a direct bus route.....so I can walk there...and if struggling a bit....bus back.....

Asda isn't on a direct bus route.....so I walk there and back if I'm up for it....

I'm not driving at the moment....

The nearest market is about 4 or 5 miles away.....so would need a bus......I'm not sure of the 'rules' and gung ho police though....'Honest Officer, it was essential travel etcetc'

There's a small shop about half a mile away.....but they only do a few things....
Female
25-Apr-2020 10:24 Message #4777884
Do you think we get in the habit of buying certain products and then if a shortage occurs are loathe to try anything else? I know I have a much greater choice in a large supermarket but for a few weeks, or even months, I don't think it is a great hardship to eat something a little different.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
25-Apr-2020 10:35 Message #4777885
True but there are only so many things you can do with jars of anchovies, pickled gherkins and dried couscous.
Male
connexkev  Male  East Sussex
25-Apr-2020 10:40 Message #4777887
I don't think you will have to worry about the Police Tumbled. The last two weeks traffic is a lot busier and shops seems to be well stocked now.
No one is going to challenge you, my neighbour down the road has to self isolate until July but he occasionally walks up the road to the shops.
I know its frightening and there has been a lot of deaths because of this coronavirus, I think we will gradually open up businesses again as the Government and companies, big and small are close to collapse.
Male
25-Apr-2020 10:46 Message #4777888
I think most people have favourites.....some of them one supermarket brand.....some other brands...

Often, new things are discovered by circumstances.....Can't get to the normal shop.....Get a substitute from a different shop.....and it becomes your favourite......Also though, it works the other way as well......Never ever again etc etc....

They're building a Lidl near us......but it's stopped for now.....due to the virus....

When I'm in town, or City as it is, Gloucester, I sometimes go to Marks and Spencers.....I've always loved some of their food stuff.....But at the moment, it's another one that the police would probably 'arrest' you for....

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations