Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Red Tape and Bureaucracy PPE and Testing

Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
23-Apr-2020 09:20 Message #4777719
It has been revealed that the Care Quality Commission want all testers to undergo between 3 to 5 weeks of training before they are allowed to take swab tests for coronavirus. Why? When Army personnel were traiined and taking swabs after 2 days training.

It has also been shown that, it is Public Health England and NHS Procurement who are holding up loads of small companies, who are producing PPE, from delivering the PPE or for it being collected. One story says that the supplier was asked to submit samples of his products for testing before it could be accepted. Some small companies and organisations are bypassing PHE and NHS Procurement and deleivering direct to their local hospital.

The Army have criticised NHS Procurement for not rationing items in short supply, and for a diabolical distribution network.

I hope when all this is over, that there is a public inquiry and those jobsworths are held to account.

Trevor
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
23-Apr-2020 10:30 Message #4777729
Why are test centres not busy? We are told we have the capacity to do 40k test a day but only 23k are being taken up whilst theres still a great need and out cry for tests? Could it be that the people who need the tests cant get to the testing centres? Why does a care worker in Bath have to travel to Worcester for a test, she can't drive and all the test centres seem to be drive through? Why was a woman in Cumbria told she'd have to travel to Stanstead airport for testing. All the test centers I've seen on TV are drive through, great idea except for those who don't drive or don't have access to a car. Bath is a small to medium sized city its neighbour Bristol is huge are there no test centres in Bristol if not why not? If you have to travel from Bath to Worcester then presumably thats the nearest test centre for other large towns and cities, such as Cheltenham, Gloucester, Swindon, Cirencester, Hereford and on up the M5 and surrounding areas and thats assuming Bath is the southern extent of the area Worcester covers for testing?
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
23-Apr-2020 10:37 Message #4777730
CQC has always been about 'box ticking', a typical Civil Service operation. A local surgery was rated 'outstanding' a couple of years ago when everyone in their catchment knew they were useless and getting an appointment was met with a standard 'that'll be about 14 days'.
The surgery was red-hot on procedures but couldn't run a public service if their life depended on it.

A local sewing group are delivering scrubs direct to Torbay Hospital, not for the ICU but general ward use. The lady in charge just won't take 'no' for an answer and the end users are quite amused by some of the bright patterns that have been used in the scrubs.

SQL
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
23-Apr-2020 12:34 Message #4777745
I think you can see the PPE issue from both sides though, surely a new supplier will have to supply samples for testing first otherwise boxes of utter crap might turn up.
There are strict quality rules about medical grade PPE, we aren't talking about a few latex gloves to wear whilst cleaning the windows. Then there's the whole question of latex allergy and powder allergy.
I'm sure some unscrupulous providers will say a glove is non-latex when it's actually not true - if you've seen how latex can affect a person you'd understand the cautious approach...
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
23-Apr-2020 21:57 Message #4777769
It looks as thought the emphasis has gone from the PPE problems to the 'when will the lockdown end' questioning.

I had been following the daily BBC No. 10 briefings quite closely but now only watch for the daily figures. It does seem to me that No. 10 are getting into 'headless chicken' mode. I would say they won't tell anyone what the step after full lockdown is as they don't really have a clue (or they are waiting for Boris to re-appear and dump it all on him). All this about working with the scientific advice is wearing a bit thin, no substance to their replies at all. The scientists are saying keep the lockdown going until a vaccine is available - 12 to 18 months maybe. The economy won't last that long, we have a few weeks or a couple of months before long-term damage is done.

Stay safe everyone, this is going to be a long ordeal. Life on planet Earth has changed for to next 100 years at least.

SQL
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
23-Apr-2020 21:58 Message #4777770
It looks as thought the emphasis has gone from the PPE problems to the 'when will the lockdown end' questioning.

I had been following the daily BBC No. 10 briefings quite closely but now only watch for the daily figures. It does seem to me that No. 10 are getting into 'headless chicken' mode. I would say they won't tell anyone what the step after full lockdown is as they don't really have a clue (or they are waiting for Boris to re-appear and dump it all on him). All this about working with the scientific advice is wearing a bit thin, no substance to their replies at all. The scientists are saying keep the lockdown going until a vaccine is available - 12 to 18 months maybe. The economy won't last that long, we have a few weeks or a couple of months before long-term damage is done.

Stay safe everyone, this is going to be a long ordeal. Life on planet Earth has changed for the next 100 years at least.

SQL
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
23-Apr-2020 21:58 Message #4777771

Stay safe everyone, this is going to be a long ordeal. Life on planet Earth has changed for the next 100 years at least.

SQL
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
23-Apr-2020 22:14 Message #4777772
Sorry about the repeats, I got a 'serious error' message when trying to post so I tried an alternative route. Obviously these both worked but the system still gives me a serious error message each time.

SQL
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
24-Apr-2020 07:42 Message #4777783
I too keep getting the serious error message with lots of gobbledygook on the page. I log out each time mow.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
24-Apr-2020 07:42 Message #4777784
I too keep getting the serious error message with lots of gobbledygook on the page. I log out each time now.

Its still appearing this morning,
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
24-Apr-2020 07:45 Message #4777785
To be fair Chris Whitty didn't say keep the lockdown going until a vaccine is available, he said that restrictions will not be removed completely until that happens.
We are going to have to get used to social distancing for a while.
Personally, I find the daily briefings tedious and no longer watch because apart from the updated figures there isn't really much to tell us on a day-by-day basis. Things aren't changing that rapidly so the govt are repeating the same things and journos are struggling to find sensible questions to ask.
Nicola Sturgeon has made a crafty move by giving some vague details about how Scotland will start to ease restrictions, making out they are grown-up and explaining to people, unlike the Tories.
Anyone who says there aren't politics at play in all of this is talking nonsense....
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
24-Apr-2020 19:01 Message #4777841
I do understand that you have to have quality control and being a person who has a serious latex allergy I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but I also don't believe that everyone who offers PPE is a scammer and that still dosen't answer the question of why so many places are running out or have never had any. Some home carers have been given one paper mask a day, others one every fortnight, these carers are visiting some very vulnerable people and they have a right to reasonable safety equipment too.

Help with conversations