Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Sometimes, nature sucks !

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
22-Apr-2020 14:01 Message #4777636
I am a great nature lover as I expect you know. Each morning I sit up in bed about 5.15am and can usually see the wild deer about 30' away on a sunny bank. By the window are some trees which are covered in ivy, and for weeks I have been watching blue tits and goldfinches building their nests, laying their eggs and babies appearing. You can hear all the squeakings which is quite delightful.

Then yesterday, there was a rumpus and this bliddy great crow was coming in & out of one of the nests with baby birds in his mouth. It was very upsetting . Then, as if that wasnt enough, this morning there was another rumpus up in the tree, but this time it was a hawk. It just decimated all the nests within the foliage of the tree. I know they all have to eat to survive, but why does nature have to be so cruel for these creatures to survive. Those little birds had worked tirelessly for weeks building their nests and having their young..... what was it all for.

There are also blue tit nests under the guttering of the older barns, and the hawk just sits on the outside waiting...... I dont like this part of nature at all.

Regarding the deer, one of the big ones has made friends with one of the little muntjaks, which is unusual. We havent seen the rest of the big deer for a couple of weeks now. I hope they are not in someone's freezer.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire
22-Apr-2020 14:17 Message #4777638
Don’t say that about the deer. Nature is cruel really when you think mammals can eat other mammals whole. What people do to dogs, cats, donkeys not sure why they do so much cruelty to others.
If we stop and think the way people behave it is not a good place really. Even going out sometimes you can get looked at in such a nasty way you wondered what on earth is their problem. I say don’t make other people in the wrong just cos you have a arse about things.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
22-Apr-2020 18:20 Message #4777662
It's an interesting point you're making Victoriana, I've never yet been able to square why I can accept that sort of happening in nature - with wildlife, but not in mankind.
A friend who knows a fair bit about birds says crows are one of the most intelligent of birds...haven't a clue how they work it out. Also, have you heard about the illness affecting blue tits in Germany? apparently they are prone to a form of avian influenza which so far has killed over 11,000 birds, the RSPB are asking anyone over here who finds a dead or dying blue tit to report it in case the virus spreads over here (although apparently it's been known about here since the 1990's though it hasn't had such an effect as in Germany).
Your comment about the muntjack and the bigger deer shows even in nature animals can befriend?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
22-Apr-2020 18:46 Message #4777665
But Vic, you eat meat don't you? Everybody eats someone elses babies, whether its baby animals or plants, its just part of the cycle, one that we've y and large made ourselves safe from particularly in this country where we have made sure theres no apex predator to compete with us or decide we're dinnier.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
22-Apr-2020 18:54 Message #4777669
I hate magpies for that reason but as you say it's nature and they have to eat. At least they are not domestic cats, killing for the heck of it then heading home for some kitekat.
I've always felt how strange it is that nature designed flesh to be food....
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
22-Apr-2020 20:48 Message #4777689
I think if we have a social conscience, nature could teach our higher level arrogant brain to design a kinder way to do thing.

Humankind is a work in progress.

It's that thing on the other thread Hiero was on about, we don't practise what we preach. (or is it practice I never know)
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
22-Apr-2020 21:01 Message #4777691
A lady once asked me if I had seen big fox, she had not seen him for a while, and leaves food out for him.
I told her that she might not see him for a while, because the last time I saw him, he had a big black and white cat in his mouth.
She went very pale, then said, " I wondered what had happened to Oliver."
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire
22-Apr-2020 22:27 Message #4777703
A fox has taken up residence in my back garden. The bottom end is a bit overgrown and the gate in a poor state so it seems that s/he has gnawed an entrance. I am not leaving food out - I dont want to encourage him- but quite happy for him to live there if he wants to.
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire
22-Apr-2020 22:28 Message #4777704
A fox has taken up residence in my back garden. The bottom end is a bit overgrown and the gate in a poor state so it seems that s/he has gnawed an entrance. I am not leaving food out - I dont want to encourage him- but quite happy for him to live there if he wants to.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
22-Apr-2020 22:55 Message #4777710
i was watching telly on monday afternoon when something caught my eye, a neighbour was sweeping his chimney and the brush had come out of the pot by about a metre.
well, there were four crows [locals?] who were most put out by this alien intruder who they had never seen before...they were dive bombing it, squawking loudly and generally in a state of distress...funny to watch !

corvines are very intelligent, i have watched programs showing how they problem solve.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
23-Apr-2020 10:13 Message #4777725
Maybe they had a nest on top of the chimney pot?

I love watching all the corvids, they get to know you as well and will engage with you, although sometimes this involved dropping twigs on your head and "laughing", I was never quite sure what this meant they'd all come to my window and were interested in looking in at my "nest" so maybe they thought I needed more nesting material, or maybe it was a joke only another crow could understand?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
23-Apr-2020 11:00 Message #4777736
"Maybe they had a nest on top of the chimney pot?"

if so i would expect them to cough a lot...its a working chimney !
Female
23-Apr-2020 20:15 Message #4777764
" I say don’t make other people in the wrong just cos you have a arse about things."

What a strange thing to say !
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
23-Apr-2020 20:19 Message #4777765
Humankind is a work in progress.

Or a lost cause?

Female
23-Apr-2020 20:24 Message #4777766
Yes, I do eat meat, but I consider I eat only meat which has been sustainably reared & killed. The crow & hawk which I mentioned , ripped the baby birds out of their nests and away from their parents and then tore them to pieces. I consider that to be different.

I do also wonder why birds only mate with their own kind, they never cross their own species. Human and most animals are quite different. It cant be acceptable , as in the cases of horse and donkeys, which produce mules, as mules cannot reproduce , as they are not a pure species.

Help with conversations