Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Is it true?

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
21-Apr-2020 12:49 Message #4777462
Daughter tells me one third of the brass collected by Captain Tom will be kept by the company people paid it through, is it Just Giving or some such?....anyone know if it's true or is it another fake news thing?
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
21-Apr-2020 13:00 Message #4777464
JustGiving do make charges for processing the millions of credit cards/fees and transferring monies to the charities. It's supposed to cover charges and actual work done as it's a not-for-profit organisation.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
21-Apr-2020 13:03 Message #4777465
I would imagine the company take a percentage for running things under normal circumstances, whether or not it's as much as 30% and they are going to wave it in this case, I really don't know.
On a wider theme I don't think I have ever felt so distrustful of the news and what's being reported, jesus we thought brexit was bad but trying to get the truth about covid-19 is proving almost impossible....
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
21-Apr-2020 13:03 Message #4777466
Its 15% We made a donation & wondered why the amount had an added 15% to it.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
21-Apr-2020 13:09 Message #4777467
But wouldn't that suggest that the donation amount is 100% and the donator is paying the additional amount (15%) on top.?!?!
Male
21-Apr-2020 13:11 Message #4777469
Indeed, so it's another non-story...
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
21-Apr-2020 13:34 Message #4777470
JustGiving do make charges for processing the millions of credit cards/fees and transferring monies to the charities. It's supposed to cover charges and actual work done. It's not a non-profit organisation.

I am correcting my earlier post which I believe was wrong. Looking at some of JustGiving's previous records it looks as if their charges are around 5%.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
21-Apr-2020 14:15 Message #4777473
According to the justgiving page:-

Understanding our fees / What are your fees? (UK Only)
We are committed to providing a cost-effective service to our charity partners and as such we do not charge a platform fee on any individual donations made to charities. Instead we give donors the option to make a voluntary contribution to the cost of maintaining our platform should they wish.

We charge a 5% fee for our Gift Aid service and this is taken from the amount of Gift Aid claimed on a donation. Charities are able to opt out of this service by contacting us.

Across JustGiving, our payment processing fee is 1.9% + £0.20. This accounts for the varying costs of processing different payment types (e.g. PayPal, credit cards, and debit cards).

If the donation is made in another currency, then the processing fee is 2.90% + £0.20

How does it work on an average donation?
If someone donates £30.00 to their friend's fundraising page or directly to your charity. We simply deduct a payment processing fee and send the rest to your charity according to our payment schedule.

If the donor decides to add Gift Aid onto their donation then we collect this 25% Gift Aid on your charities’ behalf. We then deduct a 5% Gift Aid processing service fee and automatically send the rest over to your charity.

So for every £30.00 donated that is eligible for Gift Aid, your charity gets £36.36.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
21-Apr-2020 19:53 Message #4777506
There's a lot of posts on face book about this even one saying the maytrix group that are something to do with it is owned by captain Tom's family???? True or false? We may never find out
Male
21-Apr-2020 19:56 Message #4777507
Gawd I hope the poor old guy hasn't been duped or something...
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
21-Apr-2020 20:00 Message #4777508
I know, but sometimes people do just make fake shite up
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon
21-Apr-2020 20:41 Message #4777520
I'm sure I saw that JustGiving had waived charges and had made a donation too.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
21-Apr-2020 21:52 Message #4777536
It seems everyone is setting up a 'just giving' site at the moment, and a lot are reported to be making thousands of pounds even millions for some!

Makes you wonder where all the money is coming from?
Country at a almost standstill, people having to use food banks, losing jobs, pay cuts ect, but there's still millions of pounds being donated to ' just giving' sites
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
21-Apr-2020 22:59 Message #4777547
We've used justgiving for a few fund raising events and instead of flower donations at a funeral. It good because it's so simple.

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
22-Apr-2020 09:30 Message #4777571
I have just double checked our donation details, and they have added the 15% as their fee. It also says about it in their T & C.

Help with conversations