Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Staying In

Is the new going out!

Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire
2-Apr-2020 10:11 Message #4774767
Hello Fellow Isolators
How's it going? All OK or going slowly crazy?

Plans for the day?
What's for tea?
What are you enjoying about isolation, and what are you finding difficult?
Male
Wandering4fun  Male  North Yorkshire
2-Apr-2020 10:25 Message #4774768
Hello RoseyCheeks.

I’m going a bit crazy. I used to log onto Facebook once a week or so to catch up with family and friends but now having enough time to look at what others are saying I’ve found it a depressive home for fantasists, conspiracy theorists and angry nutters with nothing good to say to anyone or about anyone.

On the plus side I have wallpapered a bedroom and now doing a few repair jobs in the kitchen.

For tea I’m knocking up something with sausages.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
2-Apr-2020 10:29 Message #4774770
Mostly OK, I've got hayfever and I have to go out today for food, so I hope I don't have a sneezing fit.

Tea/dinner is probably some sort of pasta.

One thing that struck me was how little life has changed I see so few people, I'm finding it difficult being the only one who can really go out and because theres shortages of stuff in the shops I have to go to multiple shops to try and find what I need and then Manthing complains that I've been out for to long, or I go out to much. Funny how its always different when I have to go and get something for him?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
2-Apr-2020 10:30 Message #4774771
I'm actually quite shocked how easily I am finding it, at least up to now.
Due to my personal circumstances, work and shopping are largely my only reasons for leaving the house in "normal" times so it feels like I'm on holiday at the moment.
I'm sure the novelty will wear off as the weeks turn into months though.
Sausage casserole for tea and doing some washing is today's highlight....
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
2-Apr-2020 11:20 Message #4774786
Bloody heck.......I've seen sausages mentioned in this thread twice.......and there's only 4 posts......

I must get to the shops before all the sausages are gone......

Apart from that.....I'm rather enjoying the time........and before anyone berates me....I know how serious it all is.....but we also need humour to keep us going......

I'm missing the sports stuff.......but there is so much on youtube still......Eddie Hearn in new boxing interviews with IFL tv for instance......Great stuff for boxing fans......Great information.....and someone like Eddie Hearn is such a positive person.....He has so much energy and enthusiasm for the sport....and for life in general.....A very successful person and businessman.......

Same for a lot of successful people......They are successful because they are so positive and forward thinking.....

There are so many positive things online.....and some negative things to keep the balance.....which can also be quite interesting and entertaining at times.....
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
2-Apr-2020 14:06 Message #4774799
No different for me.
Female
Helenuk1963  Female  Gloucestershire
2-Apr-2020 16:35 Message #4774820
As someone with severe agoraphobia it's no different for me.
Male
RobM  Male  Essex
2-Apr-2020 18:58 Message #4774836
Facebook Live video chat with the band - top rate entertainment!
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
2-Apr-2020 23:13 Message #4774856
It’s not bothering me yet but early days.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon
3-Apr-2020 01:21 Message #4774860
There is only so much watching tele you can do, and reading and housework and listening to music. I take my dog out as well as exercise and shop for essentials, but to be honest I normally go out a lot in the day particularly, and it is slowly driving me mad.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
3-Apr-2020 06:54 Message #4774861
Been out for my daily constitutional, and going out shortly to take advantage of Sainsbug's OAP hour

Stay safe

Trevor
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
3-Apr-2020 10:21 Message #4774887
I am chuckling at Wandering4fun having something in common with hierophant.

I am finding my days weirdly refreshing because I am in a relationship "living apart together" and he is stuck with his 2 x 30ish year olds 20 miles away and I am with 2 of my 30+ year olds. Since until end of January I have been working almost full time Mon-Fri we have met for week-ends for almost 8 years.

I have been so tired after work I have often been on bed by 8pm, then up for 05:45 so since he is an independent fella he is happy in his own space, plays his guitar or goes bird watching, drives miles, so probably harder for him.
As much as I love his laid back company, being in such a relationship has brought it's own kind of pressure for me because it means my week-ends have been galavanting about the countryside, cooking for him, watching shared programmes we like, going to cinema, often walking 10-12 miles. Being in such a relationship has meant I have not had "me" time for 8 years. I'm not complaining, it is just odd.

But now, I am finding it really relaxing.
Even though two of my children live with me I hardly see them.
The autistic son only pops out of his room for food. I've given up trying to get him to have some exercise though he seems to want me to use his Switch gadget.
The daughter with ME has always put on a different pressure because I don't know how she will be when she gets up and right now she is suffering with horrendous anxiety and palpitations, started smoking again because she is waiting for her 3rd PIP result.

So part of my day is usually, now I have retired, waiting to see if she needs me to walk her dogs as she often hasn't the health to get them out.

So today it might be a dog walk, or it might be a cycle ride along the river.

I don't want my partner to know, but I am trying to learn the guitar. Fender have offered 3 months free online lessons so I am giving it a go but I have no plectrum??? and I have a brittle right thumb nail so very clumsy. He re strung it right handed as he is left handed and this is just one he wanted to donate to a charity shop.
It would be great fun, when he can come back to stay for a while, if I can make him grin and I can stand the embarrassment of playing him a tune.

I am also trying to catch up with the many books I was too knackered to concentrate on and still unsure whether to shed all my nursing qualifications as clutter I don't want around.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
4-Apr-2020 10:30 Message #4775123
I shall walk Fearn later, but have had to change here I go to keep away from other people, I hope we don't get herds of people comming here because the weather's improving.

But I am getting in a bit of fix, i need some new clothes, I've lost weight and some of my underwear no longer fits and I need some new summer trousers and tops. I know I can order online, but do I then risk myself and others by having to go to the post office every couple of days to return stuff that dosen't fit, clothes shopping is bad enough at the best of times, let alone now that I can't try anything on before buying it.

I still have to much to do and not enough time to do it in, by 4pm I'm so tired and achey that I'm shaking and I've been unable to get the normal steroid injections for my knees and shoulders which is really starting to tell now.
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire
4-Apr-2020 11:27 Message #4775141
im renovating the club ready for easter opening,

Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
5-Apr-2020 09:30 Message #4775267
I reading more and sitting around more. I walk every day dodging the nutters walking too close to me.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
6-Apr-2020 14:55 Message #4775529
By the time I check emails, text, phone calls, on line etc half the day is gone.

Been trying out some new things, water colours...crap so far, but hey ho
no rush there ... not like I'm going anywhere.

Made some cards...Well the front was a card, had to use half a note card , as I had no card.....phew :)
Anyway when I'd finished, which took me about 3 hours for two cards as I was quilling (making shapes out of coloured strips of paper )
I posted on watts app one to my granddaughter and one to my friends and family saying " just thinking of you all "

Well, it's the thought that counts...and saved money on stamps ;)
Male
petergarratt  Male  Cambridgeshire
6-Apr-2020 15:26 Message #4775537
Havae you tried diamond painting not only is it, cheap clean but end product is brilliant
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
6-Apr-2020 15:31 Message #4775539
I'm a bit frustrated as I want to do some decorating to make use of the time but I can't buy the emulsion paint I want.
Even delivery is not available now...
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
6-Apr-2020 17:25 Message #4775550
I’m now at the stage of having looked at all the jobs around the house, painting, decorating, etc and outbuildings requiring repairs and regularly inspecting the garden, shrubs, lawns .. if this goes on much longer I will make a start .. maybe!

It’s made me very lethargic.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
6-Apr-2020 23:55 Message #4775607
I'm a bit frustrated

Me to !!
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
7-Apr-2020 22:22 Message #4775810
My house is the most hoovered it’s ever been.
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire
8-Apr-2020 14:45 Message #4775944
Thank you. I've really enjoyed your responses :-)
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside
9-Apr-2020 22:20 Message #4776152
One is always rather surprised when certain people bemoan that they are "bored" after a couple of weeks of, gently, enforced isolation. One always has things to do. Reading, writing, drawing, composing, listening to music, the occasional walk. One often finds, that these days, some sort of lack on involvement with others is a positive balm to the soul. Saving up, of course, for the small talk with the plumber, window cleaner or the local fornicator. Indeed sometimes all three. Though only performing one task at a time, of course.

Help with conversations