Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Food dehydrators

anyone got one

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
29-Mar-2020 10:20 Message #4774139
and what do you think? I'm upping my veg production this year and was thinking about things like homemade dried tomatoes, apples and stuff like that as well as rose petals, lavender and some other herbs. What makes are the best and how long does stuff keep once youve dried it?
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
29-Mar-2020 10:40 Message #4774144
Yes, I have 2. Will check the makes later. They are .... sort of OK.... but about 3 years ago, I spoke to someone on here, who said try your oven instead. I did, found it to be quicker and better. I only did tomatoes, figs, mushrooms, apples & pears . I didnt do any last year as we were so busy with other things. (house problems)
Tomatoes were by far the best, you need to do them when they are well ripe, rather than slightly ripe. All of the fruits were so nice, we used them very quickly. Tomatoes even became a snack. so they didnt last long. I had intended putting some of the dried tomatoes in garlic oil in jars.

I do dry herbs and put them in jars, but fresh ones are fine, put in little zipper bags in the freezer, and take out a bit at a time. Basil is best only dried though.

I sliced everything quite thickly, and sprinkled lightly with 'light' olive oil (fruit inc) but added basil oil (home made) & garlic to the tomatoes as well. Very, very low heat for overnight .

(just realised I cant check the makes, as they are packed ready for our move) Do have a look at them on EB. Thats where I got mine from ,about 3/4 years ago. They were £3 and £10 ( not new but in perfect condition)
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
29-Mar-2020 10:42 Message #4774146
For someone trying to reduce on gadgets. I seem to getting attracted to more in my venture to do more from home.

You beat me to it WH.
I keep coming across a dehydrator being useful.
But there are alternatives in improvisation I may look into
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
29-Mar-2020 10:59 Message #4774151
PS When drying herbs, I use plain paper bags (not plastic). just put bunches in them, tie loosely and hang upside down . I tie them along the oak beams here which looks a bit untidy, but works ok..... tajes about 2 months though before able to use at their best. Oregano, basil and majoram are excellent . Havent tried drying wild garlic leaves yet, but we have some growing down the field so will try soon. Flowers make lovely soup.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
29-Mar-2020 11:08 Message #4774156
I've not really anywhere suitable to hang bags of drying herbs here at the old place I had lines strung up in one of the barns for drying herbs, but I wish to be more adventurous. I'm reluctant to use the oven as other people use the kitchen and it would get turned up, or off and stuff would end up being chucked away, this is one of those times I wish I had an Aga with a warming drawer, they're prefect for drying stuff.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
29-Mar-2020 11:11 Message #4774158
I have a warming drawer. I was thinking of trying it for drying things.

Help with conversations