Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Ecosia - Internet search engine with a difference

an alternative to Google

Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
26-Mar-2020 10:50 Message #4773754
With so many people at home spending so much more time online and searching, it might be worth considering a different search engine that has a bonus.
Most, if not all of us, will go straight to Google to do our searches but there is an alternative
Ecosia which is a search engine that plants trees !!
Ecosia is based in Berlin and donates 80%+ of it's profits to non profit making organisations that focus on reforestation.
When you go on the site there's a running total of trees "planted" by Ecosia users currently
88,552,000 and counting
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
26-Mar-2020 17:58 Message #4773795
Sounds worth a try. We don’t want to give google all our business in any case.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
27-Mar-2020 09:26 Message #4773856
but if you dont like it, once you've got it, its one helluva job to get rid of.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
27-Mar-2020 09:55 Message #4773862
How does it synch with Android etc. ?

I would love to get rid of Bing and although I probably could work it out technically, and used to be good at IT, I now get confused with Edge, Bing, Explorer, Google, Mozilla etc. Every time I switch, I end up with a bit of each even if I delete apps on Android and Programmes in Windows 10.

I am thinking now of getting rid of Outlook, because it synched with my NHS mail and calendar but I don't need that now. That's one thing I liked about Google, it easily shared with phone, laptop, partner and adult children.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
27-Mar-2020 09:55 Message #4773863
I remember way back in the old days using other search engines....Hotbot was one....I think it's still going.....but I haven't used it this century....

I've just tried looking at Ecosia.....Seems ok....

The person planting the trees is working flat out......Perhaps they're on Job and knock....
Male
connexkev  Male  East Sussex
27-Mar-2020 20:34 Message #4773917
It's is also owned by Microsoft and uses Bing as the search engine.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
27-Mar-2020 23:17 Message #4773946
Bing is absolute rubbish. I won't be going there, in that case.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
28-Mar-2020 10:04 Message #4773975
....It's is also owned by Microsoft and uses Bing as the search engine...

Not sure of the point there, but the company isn't part of them and have their own mission statement.
And anyway, is it necessarily a bad thing ?!
Microsoft are one of the top 5 shareholders of Alphabet (of which Google is part) !.
So if people have an issue with Microsoft why use Google?

When Christian Kroll launched the company in 2009, it was set up to use a combination of search results from Yahoo with technology from Bing and Wikipedia.

Their search results are now supplied by Bing but they use their own algorithms to enhance the results.

In 2018 Ecosia also committed to be a privacy friendly search engine. Searches are encrypted, not permanently stored, data is not sold on to 3rd party advertisers and it does not use external tracking tools like Google.

Each single search on Ecosia raises about 1/2 a euro cent, but even that from that amount they've been able to get millions of new trees planted in many projects around the world.
Which has got to be worth it.

Help with conversations