Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Another lovely day

and all on lockdown

Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 26-Mar-2020 09:46 Message #4773740
You couldn't make it up, still March yet we've had about nine lovely warm sunny days and we can't use them to the best advantage.

Put my washing in at 5.45 am and it was thick mist but by the time I came to hang it out there was the sun, burned off the mist and warm again.

The field at the back of the house which eventually goes down to the river is still partially flooded and where the water's receded is thick mud so can't even have a walk across there.

It's so annoying and disappointing but I suppose everyone living in a town or city is in a similar position, sometimes I wish I lived in the country. I did think of taking the car to the Humber Bridge at 5.30 this morning and watching the sunrise but it was too misty. Maybe another morning.

How is everyone else coping with 'lockdown'?
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 26-Mar-2020 09:55 Message #4773742
You are right Poppy, its a beautiful day although a bit chilly here at the moment. I am going out to the greenhouse, as soon as it warms up a bit but in the meantime, I keep going thru cupboards (doing a sort of spring clean). We have loads of cupboards too,

We had coffee in bed at 5.30am and watched the sunny grassy bank oustide ( about 30' away) and today we had 2 munjaks, 3 large roe deer , 3 rabbits, half a dozen pheasants, a few pigeons and other birds, and one large rat which nearly got caught by my cats . It was like Watership down for half an hour
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 26-Mar-2020 10:19 Message #4773747
I shall have a gardening day today, more taking apart the loam pile and mixing it with sand to make a carrot bed, I shall have my daily walk with Fearn around the inland sea and watche her try chase rabbits, they're huge rabbits about the size of a normal cat! She dosen't catch them, she more interested in chasing them which wears her out.

Shame it supposed to get cold next week, but I suppose its a good thing in a way as people are more likely to stay in, I'm sort of looking forwad to it as I'm knackered from gardening and theres plenty that I could do with doing round the house and some reading to catch up on.

I've just been listening to a blackbird singing away, it so lovely to listen to, it makes me think of my Dad he used to love to sit outside with his morning coffee even if was bundled up in a coat and scarf just to hear the blackbirds sing.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire 26-Mar-2020 10:45 Message #4773752
It has been lovely, and in our area it will continue to at least Saturday

We have taken adantage and had our consitutional walk around our area, and will do the same again today.

Also managed a few jobs in the garden which is looking good.

Trevor
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 26-Mar-2020 11:28 Message #4773755
Gorgeous here now, all the washing is dry and its an unbelievable 66/17 degrees.

I've washed all the windows and frames at the back that I can reach; scrubbed the bird lime off my beautiful new yard pavers, swept all round, mended my brush as the head fell off (didn't realise I was being so enthusiastic), emptied all the house bins so that the wheelies are ready to go out later now come in for a well deserved coffee and biscuits.

I really envy you Vic having a view like that from your bedroom. I too had tea in bed at 5.30 but sadly no lovely view so I listened to a talking book.

W/h I heard the blackbirds at dawn and a magpie shrieking from the chimney pot. A little robin was sitting on the fence waiting for his/her breakfast, 2 ring necked doves on the garage roof and a sparrow splashing in the newly cleaned and filled bird bath. One of the local squirrels was on the neighbours fence trying to get at the bird food. It's a long time since I lived there but sometimes I really miss Anglesey.

P/t - it's an ideal time to sort out the gardens and plant a few seeds. Don't think I'll go out today as Im not in need of milk or bread yet and I think I've had enough exercise in the last couple of hours. Safest indoors as we have just had the city's 3rd Covid case diagnosed but as one has recovered and one died we still stand at just one, still .... ... .... ... better safe ...!
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 26-Mar-2020 11:49 Message #4773758
Yes, garden activity...and cooking.

I've just made myself dizzy standing up too long mixing a scone mixture out of The National Trust Book of Scones. I realised I had some dried figs I a not really a fan of so the recipe was chopped fig and blue cheese scones. That's lunch sorted.

Yesterday I rummaged through lots of seed packets, some from last year, and one of the receptionists gave me the thoughtful present of several packets as a retirement gift.

So I am having another go at germinating some dwarf Rudbekia in a seed tray in the downstairs loo window ledge, some pak choi and leeks in a raised bed I had cleared an old rosemary and sage from.
Two climbing winter jasmine, hopefully one will survive to clamber up an old laburnum I would crop back except I currently have nowhere to dispose of the branches.
Some coriander, lettuce, rocket and tomatoes.

We'll see, I rarely end up with any actual produce.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 26-Mar-2020 11:55 Message #4773759
Bit like me then Lyn, I hopefully plant seeds each year and maybe a quarter of them flourish. Last year I planted Morning Glory to climb up the garage, lots of leaves but not a single flower. Trying again so living in hope, think it was maybe a bit late last year.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 26-Mar-2020 13:17 Message #4773773
I wondered if my problem was too tired working to remember nurturing them.

Now I've retired I'll try talking to them and stroking them.

I once did it as an experiment with a sick cheese plant and it grew do big one visitor said they'd need a scythe to visit. The cheese plant didn't even know I wasn't sincere.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 26-Mar-2020 13:18 Message #4773774
I wondered if my problem was too tired working to remember nurturing them.

Now I've retired I'll try talking to them and stroking them.

I once did it as an experiment with a sick cheese plant and it grew do big one visitor said they'd need a scythe to visit. The cheese plant didn't even know I wasn't sincere.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 26-Mar-2020 19:07 Message #4773812
When I was walking Fearn, I saw a wren it was singing its little heart out, I wondered how such a tiny thing could make such a beautiful and loud sound?

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »