Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Food choices

Has your taste changed

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
25-Mar-2020 13:49 Message #4773684
I just tried "food and drink" but greyed out and unavailable.

Following on from Lockdown and reduction of choices.

Had anyone thought they disliked a food, maybe since childhood, then found you actually didn't mind it later in life?

I wouldn't touch tomatoes, onion or peppers but now don't mind them at all.
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire
25-Mar-2020 15:21 Message #4773690
Don't remember having food such as peppers and broccoli aetc as a child, carrots cabbage cauliflower sprouts etc staple foods , still have porage in the morning, though different to it cooked on the stove in those days
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
25-Mar-2020 15:37 Message #4773698
I sill remember my grandfather trying to eat a grapefruit for the first time in a restaurant . after a first segment he pulled a face decided it was terrible food . he left it for a bit and than tried again ... still not keen but by the time the main course was served al the grapefruit had gone and he has been eating the fruit at regular intervals until his death in 1964 .
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
25-Mar-2020 15:37 Message #4773699
I sill remember my grandfather trying to eat a grapefruit for the first time in a restaurant . after a first segment he pulled a face decided it was terrible food . he left it for a bit and than tried again ... still not keen but by the time the main course was served al the grapefruit had gone and he has been eating the fruit at regular intervals until his death in 1964 .
Female
25-Mar-2020 16:47 Message #4773708
Mumsie,

Good point.
My mother was a potato pie kind of girl. My dad would have a dish of butter beans or garden peas so I never had broccoli or peppers, but thinking about it, many of us will be influenced by our parents' cooking (trying to be politically correct, as my dad couldn't boil an egg). My ex husband said he hated sprouts and I discovered why when I tried how his mum cooked them, into a soggy mush.

I developed a taste for things like dried up cheese, the cracked bits, and the black on rice pudding, burned toast and bread because I was brought up age 4-15 in the back of a shop and we ate what my mum couldn't sell. As she was serving customers, food would get burned on the stove, but the exception was burned custard...yuk.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
25-Mar-2020 19:05 Message #4773717
I'm not sure about my tastes changing as such I like fewer sweet things than I did as a child, but I think thats normal, I do like sprouts now I'm a grown up, I remember my parents thinking I must like them because I always ate them first, they were astonished to find it was because I was using everything else to take the taste away. There are some things I never liked and still don't, the skin off custard or rice pudding, in fact rice pudding full stop. I didn't think I liked sausage until I had school dinners and realised that sausages wern't the tubes of charcoal with gristle in the middle like my mums.
Female
25-Mar-2020 20:36 Message #4773722
Mmm I liked tubes of charcoal but I discovered gristle at school. My sister, when asked what she'd had for dinner, replied "Gristle and gravy".

I should have added in op that I'm wondering if we are short on choices, whether anyone had braved something they weren't keen on and found they liked it.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
26-Mar-2020 08:11 Message #4773729
As a child, I was physically forced to eat the white of egg (fried or boiled) I hated it and was sick every time. It took me 50 years to be able to eat it and hold it down . I now quite like it, although only in moderation.
I used to love kiwi fruit, but now dont like them at all.
Female
26-Mar-2020 09:03 Message #4773735
Victoriana,

You have reminded me of why I chose to become a nurse. Odd association I know.

I was 11, not long in secondary school and had a fall which injured a kidney. I fell with some girls on top of me as we were leaping between foundation protrusions on old prefab classrooms.

Anyway, I was passing blood so ended up on observation in Tameside Hospital childrens' ward. I was natuarally very thin but healthy and fit, and they told my grossly overweight and shocked mother that I was suffering from malnutrition. We lived in a grocery shop.

The Sister of the ward forced me to eat every lunchtime and I had to drink a pint of milk and raw egg every day.

One lunchtime it was soggy toast covered with cheese, cooked onion and chopped tomatoes, and I was forced to sit at the table until I finished it. I just retched every time I tried to comply so on that occasion I was sat the the table in the middle of the ward for 3 hours. I resolved at that moment, that I would become a nurse so I would never treat anyone in that way and be kind.

Funny how that resolution set the course for a future career.

I still couldn't stomach that meal, but crispy fresh almost still green tomatoes and crispy fresh onion or finely chopped cooked onion eventually became palatable around 40 years later.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
26-Mar-2020 12:14 Message #4773762
I had to eat everything.

But I really didn't like stewed fruit, or soft celery flavoured cheese, made me feel sick. I was allowed off both, at school that is (boarding school), at home food was a lot better.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
26-Mar-2020 12:18 Message #4773764
Actually I still can't stand either, or even the smell of it.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
26-Mar-2020 18:01 Message #4773797
It seems everyone at school hated swede and semolina. I now like swede and I’ve not tried semolina since school.
Female
26-Mar-2020 18:12 Message #4773800
I'd forgotten the "frogspawn" dessert at school.
Female
26-Mar-2020 18:41 Message #4773804
Tapicoca, the frogsspawn stuff, I didn't mind that or semolina, I even liked swede and would something I didn't like for swede that I did, unfortuantely swede dosen't like me anymore and gives me awful indigestion.

Female
26-Mar-2020 20:25 Message #4773825
I can remember eating cheese as a kid, and it always seemed to burn my mouth, I am sure its not so strong now
Female
26-Mar-2020 20:44 Message #4773827
Wasn't it sago?
Female
27-Mar-2020 10:17 Message #4773870
Isn't sago how you start a pudding race? I thought it was tapioca, but I could be wrong.
Female
27-Mar-2020 12:52 Message #4773881
Could both be right..

But BBC foods states...

"Sago is a starch derived from the pith of the sago palm. It’s processed into sago flour, slightly coarser sago meal or pearl sago - small grains similar to tapioca. It’s used in baking, to make puddings or as a thickener for desserts."

It might appear like tapioca a bit like cous couse looks like rice.
Female
27-Mar-2020 12:56 Message #4773882
Whilst I'm exploring my cupboards, I've found a bag of organic polenta.

This started because I had some delicious polenta fries at a restaurant last year. They were coated in oil and dipped in Rosemary ... ooh...hope there's no Rosemary's here ;-/

Anyone who has IBS, it seems to be gluten free and you can use it to replace flour in cakes as well.
Female
27-Mar-2020 13:11 Message #4773884
That sounds tasty, Lynn. I might try that later too.,

I have been exploring my freezers and have 2 breasts of lamb. I have Googled a recipe to do it the French way which really takes a day and half before you can eat it. You have to leave it for some 3 hours between tasks. Not a problem at moment as I have plenty to do in between. Will report if its good.

BTW Lidls cherry jam makes a good instance sauce to go with plain ice cream., Just warm it thru in microwave and pour it on the ice cream - yummy

Help with conversations