Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

You want to be famous

A star of the screen

Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon
25-Mar-2020 13:26 Message #4773679
But, in inbetween all that, what products or companies would you refuse to advertise?
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
25-Mar-2020 13:47 Message #4773683
Along with the NHS there are about two or three charities I would support, other than that no products or companies, in fact I would support against using most, perhaps all, products and companies - I think advertising has a lot to answer for in the breakdown of society.
Male
25-Mar-2020 18:16 Message #4773712
Agreed Terry. One product I would refuse to endorse would be gambling of all sorts!

All,
Feel free to reply to this thread seriously or humorously. Go off on a tangent and, maybe, come back on topic again.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
25-Mar-2020 18:31 Message #4773714
I hate adverts....and avoid as much as I can buying any of the products that the adverts get really really annoying.....

However.....I would probably advertise all sorts if I was z list celebrity.......they seem to pay loadsamoney......

I remember back in the 70's...there was an actor of the day....I think it was James Coburn, but it could have been someone else......He was advertising Budweiser......He took a drink of an ice cool Budweiser, licked his lips and said 'Budweiser'....

I remember reading at the time that he was getting something like $250,000 for it......and I thought 'I think I'm in the wrong job'
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
25-Mar-2020 18:44 Message #4773715
If it were a product I believed was good I might consider advertising it, but then if I were a big enough star I wouldn't need the money, I think for a lot of up and coming actors adverts are a way of making money and keeping your face in people awareness. Theres more things that I wouldn't advertise than that I would, like others gambling is one I'd say no too, along with fast foods, diet plans and other crap, it would include companies who have dodgy tax and employment records.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
26-Mar-2020 08:14 Message #4773731
I would love to be one of the beautiful girls advertising perfume at Christmas time.... all those flowing translucent garments
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
26-Mar-2020 09:28 Message #4773737
I'm sat really struggling to answer Nigel.

I would have said tobacco but that is banned anyway.

I couldn't ever see myself with an alcoholic glass in my hand savouring over it as if my life depended on it.

And even though I am not yet vegetarian I wouldn't feel comfortable savouring over meat either.

And now I've got going, anything involving huge chunks of useless or short lived plastic, but then I wouldn't fit on one of common chunky garden slides for toddlers that might seem a good idea, but are grown out of so quickly, if used at all.

Or maybe inflatable sea faring things for children since a programme yesterday showed how easily they float out to sea. I guess I would have to a Victoria Wood style image rather the demure presentation Victoria would like to emulate.
Female
26-Mar-2020 09:29 Message #4773738
I wonder...

Nigel..

Would you be willing to advertise a certain e-bike?
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
26-Mar-2020 09:59 Message #4773744
I just thought, I would like to do a female version of the chap who used to sing the Money Market Song. I thought that was a great advert.

But then also, I thought I'd like to ride the black horses in the Lloyds bank advert (wearing the floaty garments from the perfume advert. of course)
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
26-Mar-2020 10:27 Message #4773750
I laugh at the Radio presenters who often seem 'forced' to read the advertising rubbish........all through their broadcast......

They often seem as though their teeth are gritted more than icy roads........
Male
26-Mar-2020 15:04 Message #4773786
Lyn..."Would you be willing to advertise a certain e-bike?"

Definitely not! It was advertised as foldable and, to me, that suggests it is portable. Far too heavy to be such!
Female
26-Mar-2020 17:40 Message #4773793
Since it's your thread Nigel,

In defence or is it defense of your bike, unless you pay £2000 ish for a Brompton, most folding bikes are more for storage than lifting.
Will you advertise it as functional otherwise?

Can you breeze along this lovely weather, less sweaty and panting?

Or would it be a Rowan Atkinson style ad.?
Male
26-Mar-2020 17:49 Message #4773794
Only really used it for commuting so no breezing about anywhere so far.

Maybe I should try it out on the Police road blocks heading out to Dartmoor. "Just doing my daily exercise officer" :-)

Help with conversations