Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

FACE MASKS

are you wearing one

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
25-Mar-2020 08:25 Message #4773636
i know they keep saying they are not good for the CV19 but why then, are the government bringing in 8.5 million for the NhS workers. Also, in Spain ,Italy and China many many people are wearing them.
We have decided to wear them if we have to go out. I have 2 boxes of them, which I wear each year for hayfever, and they really help me. My doc said they wouldnt, but the asthma consultant at the hospital said they would, so I continue to wear them in the hayfever season, which has started now, and hopefully will add a bit of protection for the Cv19 too. They certainly trap a lot of pollen as you can see it on the mask at end of the day, its bright yellow.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
25-Mar-2020 09:20 Message #4773641
While I have no doubt the experts are right and the standard mask will not stop the CV19 virus I cant see how it wouldn't help to some degree and it wouldnt definitely stop the wearer from coughing on others.
Until the end of last week I was still enering clients houses and wore a mask and gloves and before entering asked about their health and then kept them at the far end of a room or in a separate room for conversation. I'm now on lockdown.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
25-Mar-2020 09:22 Message #4773643
I think they only work really when you are up close and personal to an infected person as a doctor or nurse would be.
I'm no scientist but I would suggest pollen spores are larger than coronavirus droplets and would be trapped by the mask in the same way dust particles are...
Female
25-Mar-2020 09:29 Message #4773645
ah, right.... I never thought about the size of the pollen spores. compared with CV ones

But I am still at a loss to see why the Italian and Spanish & Californian Joe Public are all wearing them now.

Thanks for the info lads.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
25-Mar-2020 09:37 Message #4773646
Of course there are masks and there are masks, I've seen a few people wearing cheap dust masks that you can buy from B & Q to do DIY, I'm not sure if they help very much.
I assume doctor's masks are different but then having anything filtering what you breathe in can't be bad, whatever it is. Even wrapping a scarf round your mouth must stop some stuff, but I would avoid tying a plastic bag over your head.... lol
Female
25-Mar-2020 09:50 Message #4773649
and def dont wear a brown paper bag over head.... think about it.... lol
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
25-Mar-2020 10:02 Message #4773654
The normal paper masks that doctors and dentists wear are no good against CV19, as others have said they won't protect you from getting it, but they will help you spreading germs to others. The masks that front line health care staff need for this iare much more robust and I think filter the air in a different way.

Could you make a vacumn cleaner filter into a face mask, they all say they're HEPA and filter all sorts of particles?
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
25-Mar-2020 10:25 Message #4773659
From what I read the cheapo off the shelf paper masks that went out of stock so quickly are all but pointless, as in a few minutes they become saturated due to the moisture you're breathing out and then provide little protection from inhaling any virus. In fact they become more of an contamination issue once used as if the wearer takes the mask off without wearing disposable gloves the potentially germ laden moisture can be transferred to their hands and then to anything that might be subsequently touched, and of course if they just throw the used mask in the bin a potential bio hazard situation then exists with that.
They are useful if you have a cold etc. in making sure anything you might cough/sneeze out is contained and not spread and apparently that is what is socially expected of you in places like China and why I guess we see so many SE Asians wearing them.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
25-Mar-2020 10:37 Message #4773661
That's exactly right Seasons=Greetings, as taking off the equipment of mask, gown and gloves has a set procedure, then hand washing up to the elbows to decontaminate from the mask etc.

The irritation of wearing one also predisposes the person to touching face more often, as WH alludes to when wearing gloves. A lot of it is subconscious so difficult to avoid unless keep mentally active as wearing such equipment would involve following a procedure of some sort, not just walking around.

Airborne virus, are in the vicinity of an infected person and the virus is heavily concentrated in a sneeze or cough but enters not just through the mouth and nose through breathing but through the eyes as well. This also applies to allergens such as "hayfever", pollen, so this hangs around on material, so gets more dispersed when disturbed and the allergen doesn't technically die after a short time, whereas a virus would become inactive depending on the surface.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
25-Mar-2020 11:52 Message #4773669
DuringWW2 Gas masks were issued, perhaps there's a shed full or two of those in store somewhere, that could be allocated. ;-}
Female
25-Mar-2020 12:01 Message #4773671
I take on board what you are saying SG and Lynn, although those masks that the NhS peeps were wearing this morning (on TV) all looked like the ones I have - the common or garden ones. I will continue with mine anyway, if only to stop me passing on any bugs, and of course for the hayfever. If out, I do wear disposable gloves which come off when I remove the mask. Am also sanitising door handles ,steering wheel, gear stick etc. I sometimes feel I am going a bit OTT, but I am trying to do the right things.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
25-Mar-2020 13:56 Message #4773687
I think one of the benefits of face masks is the feeling of doing something they give to people wearing them. They may be totally ineffective but they seem to give the wearers some comfort emotionally, and that is just as important, so keep wearing them if that helps, for meself I don't wear them - yet.

Help with conversations