Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

SOME FOODIE IDEAS DURING THE CRISIS

(I am sure other people will have some too - could be interesting)

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 23-Mar-2020 13:34 Message #4773480
Just a thought for isolated people who eat out a lot, or those who cant/dont cook for themselves too much. An easy and quick standby are Packet soups . You can use them for all sorts of things. At the moment, most supermarkets ,big& small have adequate stocks andthey are cheap.

Add a packet to small selection of vegetables for a veggie casserole - either M/wave or slo-cooker or oven. Tomato, oxtail, or mushroom is good for all these.

If you have any bacon or ham bits leftover, add to a packet of pea or brocolli & stilton soup, with some cooked potato

Add packet mushroom soup to chicken/chorizo leftovers.

Add leftover fish to packet tomato soup with onions, along with any veg.

I add garlic to everything as well, and for convenience I use garlic granules.

Packet soups (pref without croutons) can also be used as sauces for allsorts of meat/fish dishes too.

None of the above are 'gastronomic delights' but they are quick & easy, and quite tasty, especially if foods & funds are running low, and anyone can make them. Packet soups are cheap. and Aldi. Lidls, Tesco and\Morrison has adequate stocks of all of them on Saturday.I havent been to shops since then and dont want to now.

Also dont forget jacket potatoes with all sorts of fillings.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 23-Mar-2020 15:11 Message #4773495
Victoriana,

Funny you should bring up this thread. I was reflecting on this just an hour ago.

I always said I hated cooking in spite of being a mum of three. I did cook, it was just boring stuff to please my ex who only ate peas and carrots.

Since I divorced, met lots of new people who are now friends, have a partner who has abroad repertoire in taste, I feel I have gone through a metamorphosis and trying to persuade my two adult children to stop just having what they fancy and ignore what we already have in.

I find BBC Good Foods inspirational because it help me enter my oldest ingredient I need to use first and then I get a list of suggestions of which some can be compiled in only 10 minutes, though some might take 30 minutes.

Today I needed to use some carrots so I have made 3 Lentil cottage pies, and to make it even easier I just part boiled some new potatoes after chopping them a bit, then scattered them on the top of the mixture. It saves peeling and mashing and the end produce will have nice crispy tips after baking for evening meal.

To do the above recipe you could use anything veggy or even add mince if not veggy, but mine included:

A cup of peas
340g potato for topping
2 carrots
1 onion
I used 50g of dried green lentils.
and I improvised with a green chilli chopped finely
and a pepper

Just lightly fry any chopped veg you want to use.
Stir in a thickening agent such as a tablespoon of flour
500 ml stock

Once cooked veg (and meat if applicable) spoon into 2-3 baking dishes and layer with the potato pieces, scatter with a bit of cheese and bake for 25-30 mins.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 23-Mar-2020 15:14 Message #4773496
... I've also used up a carton of single cream, some old chocolate, and some crushed walnuts and instant coffee..

...and made some ice cream!
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 23-Mar-2020 15:46 Message #4773499
Gosh Lynn, The ice cream sounds delish. I just found some bars of choc in my stable freezer and i have some cream, so will try it later.. I'll pinch some walnuts out of the brekkie cereal box too.

I havent tried too many veggie recipes but that one sounds good too. I never seemed to use lentils, although I have some in the cupboard.

Thanks for that.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 23-Mar-2020 16:10 Message #4773506
The ice cream is a little bit bitter, could have done with a tiny but of sugar, but the recipe was double cream 300mls but I used single cream. You could use yoghurt if want it lighter.

But I also used 400mls almond milk as I don't have any spare dairy milk.

A bit of alcohol could finish it off, but it doesn't set as hard, which can be a good thing. I used up a Cointreau sample in a recent one.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 23-Mar-2020 16:14 Message #4773507
Spare a thought for those of us self isolating who cannot cook and usually eat out. I'm searching the internet for the book "101 great recipes with Pot Noodles for Dummies"
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 23-Mar-2020 17:39 Message #4773509
PNG

Now is the time to discover.
If I can do it, you can.

Apparently, some of the best recipes come from accidents.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 23-Mar-2020 18:53 Message #4773515
why should I want to eat quick and easy meals when I have all day to make myself a healthy , vitamine rich meal ?
Leogirl.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 23-Mar-2020 19:32 Message #4773522
leogirl,

I also said that to my daughter...kind of. One of the positives of the situation is getting used to not being on a time schedule.
But then quick and easy might be long and loathsome for someone just starting out...

...or you might want quick and easy to get on with other exciting plans?

I reminded myself today:
I have a guitar to learn
A keyboard not seen light of day for 20 years
A recorder of the flute variety in a flower vase next to my hearth.
Learn more French
Watch some YouTube on identifying birds and trees
More cleaning
Catch up with some reading
Get on my rowing machine
Find a quiet time to ride my bike
Paint the bathroom ceiling

...nd of course...practice more cooking...
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 23-Mar-2020 21:26 Message #4773526
Good one Lynn

This thread is to help out anyone who doesnt usually cook, or possibly cant cook..... and just to make life a bit more interesting, and possibly help out some people too. And to make life feel a bit lighter during all these current troubles.

Thank you for the ones received, and can we have a few more suggestions please.

BTW Lynn's ice cream is really yummy - I also added a little Amoretto to ours tonight.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 24-Mar-2020 07:34 Message #4773551
Left over bacon? Is there such a thing?

I made some Linseed crackers yesterday/overnight.

No precise recipe but...

Put some linseed in a bowl (I usually mix golden linseed and brown linseed).
Add some other seeds of your choice (I add sunflower & pumpkin seeds).
I also add some garlic powder and seasoning.
Cover with water and leave. It should become gloopy. If it seems too solid, stir in more water.

Spread onto greaseproof paper on a baking tray.

If you have a dehumidifier use that alternatively I put the tray in the oven on about 80 degrees overnight until they are crispy.

Very low net carbs for those that try to keep carbs down.

I like them with butter and marmite with cheese.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 24-Mar-2020 08:51 Message #4773555
Nigel, do you need any flour at all
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 24-Mar-2020 10:31 Message #4773566
I've been trying to get the courage to try making biscuits for cheese.
I'll wait for Nigel's answer to V.

I've never been much good at biscuits or scones.

I just don't want to pile on weight with reduced access to exercise....or encourage my son as his main interests in life are computer and hoovering up food.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 24-Mar-2020 10:52 Message #4773571
When I get to the shops later.....I worry there will only be things I don't like left......

Does anyone have a good recipe for Chitterlings with value brand hairy pork scratchings and a cauliflower green leaf/stalk thing that was left in the cauliflower basket?

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 25-Mar-2020 12:05 Message #4773672
Chitterlings - ugh.... the smell.......... caulifower/brocolli stalk is good, parboiled, then thinly sliced and sauteed in garlic butter... yummy

Not so sure about the hairy P/scr. I have never tasted a pork scratching.... ever.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 25-Mar-2020 12:32 Message #4773674
I went this morning......i didn't have to get chitterlings or hairy scratchings in the end......

I got a brilliant cauliflower though......A massive thing.....

Shelves were ok for a lot of stuff.....Any people trying to keep apart.....

I also got fish fingers...I love fish fingers......Big loaf of Oat and Barley bread......Fish finger sarnies coming on....and maybe fish fingers and mash.....Instant mash....I've always loved instant more than yer actual mash.....Idahoan mash is the best for me nowadays....Used to be Smash....but they changed it years ago to be more like 'proper' potato.....and it spoiled it for me.....

Sausages....corned beef....Chips.....Walkers Cheese and Onion Crisps......Low Cal Fizzy Orange and Dandelion and Burdock.......I'm in heaven.....
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 25-Mar-2020 13:25 Message #4773678
Talking about mash, I started using frozen mash a couple of months ago, just for saving time. Its wonderful. It actually works out cheaper than a bag of potatoes..... Auntie Bessies is good, but Aldi & Lidls are also good, and half the price. Just add a knob of butter and I always put in mustard too, but you dont have to add either. I ill always keep some in the freezer now.

I am using my sandwich toaster more now, especially for lunchtime snacks. I also freeze cheese - works perfectly -and seems to last longer. Chap at nearby local farm dairy , told me it was ok to freeze it, about 3 years back and I've done it ever since. Good to buy when on offer.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 25-Mar-2020 13:37 Message #4773681
No flour at all Vic
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 27-Mar-2020 19:53 Message #4773914
right thanks Nigel - will try tomorrow,
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 28-Mar-2020 00:10 Message #4773948
Freezable recipe so you can make a load at once and divide up into portions:

Burmese Chicken Curry
4 Chicken Thighs (cubed)
2-3 Onions
1-2 tsp Madras
1-2 tsp Turmeric
5 Dessert spoons Soy Sauce
1 Inch Ginger (optional)

Heat wok/sauce pan & brown chicken thighs (or microwave for roughly 4 minutes). Remove chicken and pour off most of the oil.
Fry onions & grated ginger
Add Madras & Turmeric and flash fry (other spices can be substituted for Madras & Turmeric)
Add Soy Sauce and return chicken
Cover for 20-25 minutes
(can be creative and add veg. and top up with water to taste)
Serve with noodles or rice
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 28-Mar-2020 08:04 Message #4773959
That sounds really yummy Bris... another one for me to try.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 28-Mar-2020 19:10 Message #4774042
Chicken Tikka,

4 chicken breasts or 6-8 thighs.
Half a big pot of yogurt,,
1 clove of crushed garlic
1tsp grated ginger,
1tsps each of ground cumin, corriander and turmeric
1/2 tsp of either hot smoked paprika or chilli powder, you could have both if you lie your spice and salt

Mix everything except chicken together in a bowl, the coat the chicken iving it a good squidge to get in all the cuts and crevices, cover and leave in a cool place for 4-6 hours. Heat the oven as hot as it will go and remove the chicken from the marrinade and place on a tray and cook for about 25- 40 mins depending on how hot your oven goes and how big/thick your chicken is.

Bacon and Potato Hotpot

I pack of 6 bacon rashers, up to you if they're smoked or not, back bacon is good for this if you use streaky then make it 9 rashers.
About 1lb of old potatoes thinly sliced
A large onion or two small ones.
Pepper and a couple of bayleaves

About 1pint of white sauce
1oz butter
1heaped tblsp of cornflower
1 pint of milk of any sort, dairy or not
a pinch or a decent grate of nutmeg

Melt the butter and add the cornflower stir together until smooth, gradually add the milk then return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.

In a caserole with a lid, make a layer of potatoes, then a few rings of onion and a bay leaf and a twist of pepper. Put 2 or 3 of your rashers on top and repeat the process ending with a layer of potatoes. Pour the white sauce over, put the lid on the pot and bake at 180.C or 4-5 gas for about an hour and a half, remove from oven take off the lid and poke it with a knife to see if its done, you can try after an hour and put it back for a bit longer if it needs it. It depends on how thick your potatoes are. Serve with a green veg and some ketchup or pickle. This freezes well and can be upscaled easily when we're allowed to be with people again.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 29-Mar-2020 19:37 Message #4774220
Both of these recipes are making my mouth water - thanks W/hen - I will be trying them both in next few days.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 29-Mar-2020 19:48 Message #4774224
Almost disaster and using things I am less familiar with.

I needed to use up 200g of mushrooms so I found a recipe that involved couscous and chickpeas, except I as halfway through and didn't have chickpeas or couscous.

So I asked Google Home "Hey Google, what can I use instead of couscous?"

Quinoa came the reply, a little longer to cook, a but like rice, but delicious.

So with a quinoa background it involved

A spoonful of oil in frying pan
Fry a chopped onion along with a teaspoon of cinnamon and cumin, then add 200g mushrooms which should have been 300g so I made it up with 100g of mange tout.

Should have been chick peas 400g s added 200g of edamame beans
and a small tin of chopped tomatoes.

Easy peasy

Quite a flexible recipe. You can use buckwheat just as easy as cous cous.

The above served 3 of us.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 29-Mar-2020 21:00 Message #4774228
wow, thats another interesting one for me to try Lyn.

Keep 'em coming folks.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »