Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Wormery

Has anyone experience of one

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
23-Mar-2020 13:01 Message #4773476
I've been thinking of one for a while, but since our green bin is not going to get collected and I'm not looking forward to the return of vinegar flies round my kitchen caddy, I've just ordered a layered wormery.

I have away a huge compost bin and this is just 25L and 110cm high and I was amazed many of the reviews state you can include dog poo and even cardboard.

Well now I've retired I hope I can keep to utilising it and get full use out of it.

Has anyone else tried one?
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
23-Mar-2020 13:40 Message #4773482
Lynn, keep an eye open on Freecycle, last year there were several being given away around this area, so I assume other areas could be donating them too. BY the way my old dad used human pee ( not poo) in his greenhouse and the lawns. Beautiful lawns for years. I dont remember about the greenhouse though
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
23-Mar-2020 14:40 Message #4773489
I used the wormery mainly to make us of the dog poo. The rain that seeped inside the wormery would make it a liquid fertiliser. o.k for flowers I suppose, not my spinach yuk!

leogirl.
Female
23-Mar-2020 14:51 Message #4773490
I've ordered a UK made one from WormeryUK that complete with bedding for the worms and the worms!

Of course delivery is low importance but if it does get delivered I need it sooner rather than later.

Good Idea Victoria, but collecting one at the moment is probably not advisable. Not that the wormery would infect but trying to negotiate collecting it.

The clinch on my decision was the dog poo as this is actually promoted and might be a godsend as it saves using the normal bin as advised by the council, but will save on poo bags and space in the bin.

Wow, a new retirement toy to occupy me during our distancing.

Why spinach leogirl?
The product has been through worm digestion process.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
23-Mar-2020 18:34 Message #4773513
Your Wormery needs to be in a shaded place.
My friend had one, it did very well until a very hot sunny day!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
23-Mar-2020 18:44 Message #4773514
I've not tried one, I've seen them advertised, I'd be interested to know how you get on with it, I didn't know they took dog poo too.
Female
23-Mar-2020 19:23 Message #4773520
Thanks for the tip NotHermit.
Female
23-Mar-2020 19:26 Message #4773521
WH,

If you read the many reviews and comments on WormeryUK website via Amazon, many have dogs and one states 5 dogs and it copes, but it wasn't my main motivation but an unexpected discovery and bonus.

There are cheaper ones but a set of enough worms can be expensive.
Female
24-Mar-2020 10:48 Message #4773570
Thanks Lyn I'll have a look, but I'm always a bit wary of Amazon reviews, but I'll look on the Kitchen Garden Magazine website as they often have offers and they're a good sourse of information generally for anything garden related.
Female
28-Mar-2020 09:05 Message #4773968
Well, it's arrived!

I set it up yesterday.
I'm not sure where to put it permanently yet, but for now it's under a small tree in a small patio I have outside the back door.

I soaked the worms' bedding and put the healthy looking worms in it with a portion of some worm food they supplied. I have to wait 2 weeks before starting to include some home waste.
Female
28-Mar-2020 09:54 Message #4773973
On a lighter side (and about producing worms)

Over at our new house, there is a green wheelie bin which is supposed to be for Garden waste (new to me cos we dont have bins here at all) . I found it in the orchard area and it was full up with food waste ,which was turning into compost, so I decided to tip it over on the grass and let the birds/animals have a feed. Weeeeeeell....... there was loads and loads of worms in it , but also lots of decomposing toilet paper + + + ! - the smell was horrendous ! I had to wear a mask to rake & spread it out, but 3 weeks later its nearly all gone, and whats left is dried up. I will watch that area of grass now, to see if it improves... lol

BTW at this place, there is also an outside toilet, as well as inside ones. And I dont mean the green wheelie bin.

(Lyn, I am not suggesting you try this though.. lol)

V xx
Female
28-Mar-2020 11:05 Message #4773987
You can watch YouTube on how to make a wheelie bin into a wormery...if you are keen.

In my instructions, it says if you get it smelly, it's because there is too much of the wrong bacteria and the worms can't keep up, which makes sense really when just a compost bin.

One of their favourite food apart from dog poo (but not if recently had worming treatment), is newspaper and cardboard which was a surprise to me.

From the size of the wormery I'm not convinced it would cope with 2 x border collies, but I must remember not to put in onions or citrus remnants.

I couldn't resist peeping this morning to see if they looked happy!
Female
28-Mar-2020 13:23 Message #4774007
you can put those cardboardy type egg boxes in too.as well as shredded newspaper
Female
28-Mar-2020 18:49 Message #4774041
Our green whelie bin is for garden waste that can't be composted but no wood, soil or rubbish, its all taken away, composted and is given away free to local residents if they want it. I think the previous owners of your new place must have been a little confused.

Female
28-Mar-2020 20:15 Message #4774055
He wasnt confused ... or perhaps he was/is.... the bin was never emptied. He didnt even live there - no one did. He just visited for 5 hours daily
Female
29-Mar-2020 10:17 Message #4774136
Weird!
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
31-Mar-2020 10:55 Message #4774340
A wormery and many other good ideas for the garden could become popular now so many of us are stuck at home and the weather is nice enough to venture outdoors. Some short staffed bin rounds have ceased collecting the waste food.
Female
31-Mar-2020 14:24 Message #4774375
That was what clinched my decision to order one.

There first taste of dog poo today, a savoury treat :-)
Male
Maglorian  Male  North Yorkshire
31-Mar-2020 22:19 Message #4774487
Lovely idea Lyn. Enjoy! Doing your bit for nature. Have you named the wormery yet? Wiggly Woo... https://youtu.be/vdWsez-CD5o
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
1-Apr-2020 07:57 Message #4774511
A wormery and many other good ideas for the garden could become popular now so many of us are stuck at home and the weather is nice enough to venture outdoors. Some short staffed bin rounds have ceased collecting the waste food.

A time for many to reflect on using nature.
Female
1-Apr-2020 08:36 Message #4774516
I struggling where to keep it. The ideal place is a trek up a useless path to the side of my now slightly elevated shed.
But it's right under a bird house and I might disturb birds.

I'm only at one layer at the moment and going very slow so won't be able to easily move it later

Also it would be out of the wind and away from all but evening sun if I risk the bird house. It doesn't seem occupied this year but housed a family of blue tits last year.

Mmm...a name.
I already call it the pink writhing monster machine but it's a bit of a mouthful.

Yes.
Going back to nature.

I did try to make a meadow patch on my front lawn but it didn't work. I was going to try the whole lawn, about the size of 3 small cars parked ascew but now daughter has turned it into a dog training spot with a jump and doggie see saw to entertain the younger border collie.

I'm having another go at basil seeds but they germinate then die on me so far.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
2-Apr-2020 23:14 Message #4774857
I’m surprised water butts aren’t much more popular.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
3-Apr-2020 08:35 Message #4774865
It would be nice if gardens went back to water butts, composters and vegetable patches instead of the smooth lawn with garden furniture, ornaments and solar lights which adorn most gardens today. It used to be a tidy front garden with a functional back garden.
Female
3-Apr-2020 09:54 Message #4774878
A water butt is on my list of things to do, but I'm on hold for replacement soffits as I've a huge hole where birds keep nesting in the eaves.

As one thing leads to another, I will end up with new gutters and drains and since the water butt will be attached to the drain there's little point attaching the butt to the old drain.

I feel like singing that song about bones.
What is it,

The left leg's attached to ....
Come on, someone must know it?
Female
4-Apr-2020 10:33 Message #4775124
Its probably not warm enough yet for basil seeds they need a fairly high night time temperature as well as day temperature, they may also be too wet.

Help with conversations