Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Homeless

Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 23-Mar-2020 12:22 Message #4773473
The homeless are vulnerable during this coronavirus pandemic.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire 23-Mar-2020 13:46 Message #4773484
I spoke to a young man who is a regular sleeper in a local doorway and he said that pedestrians walking past and giving him money had almost stopped completely.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 23-Mar-2020 17:27 Message #4773508
Some of liverpools empty hotels are offering their rooms to homeless but won't be for long as no staff so?
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 23-Mar-2020 17:49 Message #4773510
For those on the streets the footfall has declined and those who are walking around are giving rough sleepers a wide berth. We closed our night shelter a couple of weeks ago as it was not safe to have so many sleeping in close proximity but up til now we have managed to find accommodation for all of those requesting shelter. This has been provided mostly by businesses and the private sector although it has to be said that the government and local authorities have provided much more in the past couple of years both in finance and facilities and are being especially helpful now.
In the normal course of working with the homeless I have extra injections and medication to help prevent me getting anything contagious but I've been worried for myself for a while now as I'm in the at risk age group. I'm stepping away from the front line work but will continue to provide a vehicle to run around and maybe some activities helping behind the scenes.
Male
Maglorian  Male  North Yorkshire 23-Mar-2020 18:28 Message #4773511
I feel for the homeless deeply. There but for the grace of love go i. This whole mania of self preservation and being left with little to survive, has opened a lot of peoples eyes. Maybe, just maybe, this will foster empathy and more humbleness. But sadly right now, it's the nucleus, critical mass. Some are still helping the less fortunate. But when the dust settles, then the forensic examination of the system and self will begin. Hopefully then, Tsunami will be able to hang his boots up and take a well deserved rest. As Government, demanded by society, expects fairness and safety for all.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 24-Mar-2020 12:18 Message #4773582
Considered the most vulnerable in society, above children and the elderly. There are also many charities dedicated to the homeless, but food donations will no doubt have fallen. They'd no doubt be grateful for any contributions.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 30-Mar-2020 04:03 Message #4774249
I echo your thoughts and concerns...

Whilst the government have been concentrating on the working class and the hardships they may face and eventually recognizing the self employed ... and rightly so ..My heart goes out to those still living on the streets.

I know from past posts that a lot of you selfless people will be thinking like me , how will they cope.

We've debated this before about whether we should give money or help in other ways .food..big issue, hostels etc...

But given that all fast food premises have shut, which the majority of homeless people rely on,
who are taking care of these vulnerable people ??

In your area and I'm only talking about your locality, do you know what provisions ars being made ??

I'm hearing some hotels are opening
up to accommodate the homeless...
so what is happening in your area ??
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 30-Mar-2020 08:05 Message #4774250
Hi Topaz. In my area we have continued to look after the homeless as before. One of the biggest dangers is some of them wandering off and doing their own thing as most go through long stages of not wanting help and if it comes from the official sources they run a mile.
We closed the night shelters as it was dangerous allowing so many people to sleep close together but so far everyone has been accommodated around the town in privately owned places. Hotels and a couple of landlords have been particularly helpful.
Those who use foodbanks are being directed as to how they can still get food.
Due to my age I’m not permitted to work on the front line with the homeless as before but I’m now kept busy running around food and provisions. The public stepped back for a while but are back on track wanting to help. The government and councils have stepped up their game tremendously which I hope lasts when this pandemic is over.
I fear we will see many more homeless and hungry people if this pandemic lasts.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 30-Mar-2020 08:23 Message #4774253
When I have walked into town, I have seen very few homeless on the streets so, hopefully, something positive has been done for them.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 30-Mar-2020 11:54 Message #4774272
I have noticed the same Nigel. Tsunami’s post gives some hope though.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 30-Mar-2020 12:48 Message #4774276
I don't know, but from what I listen to and pick up generally, there are those homeless who want help and can't get it, including and especially the ones who have found some solace in keeping a dog and are then expected to dump their "family".

Then there's those with deep mental health issues of which some also need help, and other have just hardened to what they see as freedom from the chains of normal life and actually prefer to live on the streets.

I am pretty sure under these unusual circumstances there will be unusual but temporary efforts to get homeless off the streets, but unless something constructive and permanent can be extended for those who want help, I fear it will all go back to business as usual.

I am not comfortable with the charity reliance to help people. Too many see it good that there is help and so it carry's on, but what would be really good is to not need it in the first place and go to the roots of the problem of why they end up on the streets, because if it is a failure in government systems then we are just propping up something that we are condoning is acceptable.

It's also concerning that single men are always last to get help, yet they are highest risk of suicide.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 30-Mar-2020 13:06 Message #4774277
One of the major benefit cuts a few years ago was to limit housing benefit (LHA) for those under age 34 to just the bedsit rate - which even if that was adequate to obtain a bedsit would mandate that people are able to get on with others.

That "peaceful coexistence" will be challenging for the many rough sleepers with addictions/MH issues - latter being largely an NHS funding issue for eg serial rehab and long term support for those with chronic MH issues.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 30-Mar-2020 14:21 Message #4774287
Typo - under age 35
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 30-Mar-2020 22:09 Message #4774317
In my area we have continued to look after the homeless as before

That is good news. The homeless are well looked after in my area too but it’s not easy convincing them to accept help.

Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 30-Mar-2020 23:17 Message #4774323
I wasn’t personally involved but - “we received a call about a young homeless man who had been admitted to hospital with a wound on his leg, had surgery, and the team at the NHS needed our help to make sure he wouldn’t be discharged back to the street.
Our Homeless Health Worker swung into action to bring together all the people needed to get him the help and home he needed.
First we helped him get registered at a local GP surgery. It is always tough for people without a home to get registered with GPs and even more so now when our GPs and their teams are under so much pressure. This meant he could be safely discharged to the care of the GP.
Then, together with a number of other partner organisations including the council, we’ve worked so he doesn’t have to go back to the street.
He is in a room of his own. So the chances of infection, both of his wound, and from coronavirus are now massively reduced.
It really does take a team to get people who live on the streets the help they need. And at this time especially, we’re doing everything we can to take pressure off the amazing people at the NHS.”

It’s more of a struggle during the present crisis but the work is still getting done.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire 31-Mar-2020 10:50 Message #4774337
That’s good to know tsunamiwarrior. The teamwork of authorities and volunteers is one of the things which makes this country great.
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 31-Mar-2020 17:43 new  Message #4774409
in my area they are bieng ticketed as the council say they are using the money for drugs, creating more anti social behavior.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 31-Mar-2020 18:08 new  Message #4774412
It’s a problem throughout the country capnblackbeard. A high percentage of the homeless suffer from addictions to alcohol and drugs and will often use any money to purchase for their addiction rather than their health or other needs.
It’s often easier for homeless charities to help those with addictions as the homeless will often accept help from the charity when they completely ignore what is offered officially.
Everything is a bit disorganised due to the crisis but in the normal course of events we manage to monitor those in the night shelters where no drink or drugs is allowed.
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire 31-Mar-2020 18:15 new  Message #4774416
that can never be a true reflection of the scale of homelessness tho tsunami , there must be 100,000s sofa surfing ,sleeping rough, camping etc, just look at some european countries they have camps sometimes the size of refugee camps.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »