Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

During this crisis....

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 22-Mar-2020 09:56 Message #4773353
Can we all get together a bit more on here, and feel that we can discuss our feeling and emotions. At the moment, at lot of people who are on their own, and especially those who are having to self isolate, really need someone to talk to about their own situation, and about their fears and worries. I have been alone in the past, and its very difficult to cope when there is no-one. And I am sure it would help a little.

V xxx (elbows)
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 22-Mar-2020 10:33 Message #4773365
I agree Vic.

Today I have hayfever, I'd hoped not to have to go out other than to walk Fearn, but I have to return a decorating table I'd bought to use in the greenhouse as it has kindling for legs, I doubt if you could use it to paste more than two bits of wall paper without it collaspsing, let alone use in the greenhouse.

I feel lucky I have a big garden to play in and I can walk in places where theres few people. Todays a planting day, as Mummyhens staying in now, I thought she needs something to do to replace her daily walk to the shop to get her paper, so I'm making her Chief Hoe!, she can hoe the garden everyday, weather permitting, to replace her daily walk and help her to stay fit and active and feel useful. I do feel its important for people to feel a sense of purpose, no matter how small, make patchwork quilts from old clothes and stuff and give them to charity or something.
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire 22-Mar-2020 10:52 Message #4773371
I agree Vic. Perhaps the site will revive a bit as people are forced to self isolate more and have no one to talk to.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 22-Mar-2020 12:32 Message #4773392
Thanks for replying W/hen and Twinkle.

I thought it would be interesting to hear how people are getting thru with the situation and what they are doing as well as tips for coping ,now and in the new few weeks.

I have the bonfire to stoke up again this afternoon over at the new house. Himself is cutting down some more trees and shrubs which are rotten. Not many people about there at the bst of times , so the smoke wont affect anyone hopefully. I will wear a mask cos of my asthma. I am quite liking a good old bonfire.

I have put some food in the slow cooker for tonight as I wont feel like cooking much later.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 22-Mar-2020 18:07 Message #4773424
I cycle most Sunday mornings for my mental health, blows the cobwebs of work and child away, lol but I, m an asthmatic through radiotherapy just nipping my lung, so I could well be told to stay in for 12 weeks, I don't know how I, ll cope with that, any ideas?
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 22-Mar-2020 19:01 Message #4773430
I guess you'll be doing a lot of loll-ing Euro;)
I find that so many people I know are organising virtual get-togethers and stuff online, too many to "attend"!! Several friends are more tech savvy than me and are able to get these really interactive things going.
I'm getting much longer texts and calls (and same in reverse) from people who, like me, are usually too busy to do it that much. Also, like at Xmas, old boyfriends etc are crawling out from the woodwork. One even suggested he "visit" me now we both have more time....yikes, does he not understand the principle of social-distancing?!
I'm clearing out files and old paperwork that's needed doing for ages, and just ordered a paper shredder. Grass has had its first cut since Autumn. I've found myself listening to lots more music and radio podcasts, both of which I love, watching very little TV, and, oddly, reading less! Both my actual and online 'Leonard Cohen' friends from around the world, are feeding my emotions and thinking, admirably: they're genuinely the loveliest bunch of people I've had the pleasure to meet. We're having a virtual concert, as several of us were due to meet up for that in Hydra again in June.
Cards have come through the door, offering help to anyone who needs it, and you know your true friends, as they are quick to make sure you're alright and ask if you need them to do anything (even one who had surgery on her arm last week and has had to deal with infection in it)

A French friend of mine, usually living in London but currently stuck in lockdown in Luxembourg, was saying how the world will never be the same again. My response to him was, "Hopefully it will be a better one". Despite the very selfish people out there doing whatever they can just for themselves, I've seen and heard more of the altruistic ones sharing what good they can, and also wider thinking and emerging creativity.
To quote my sadly passed guru, LC:
"The birds they sang, at the break of day,
Start again, I seemed to hear them say,
Don't dwell on what has passed away
Or what is yet to be.........
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in......
.........." (From: "Anthem")
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 23-Mar-2020 00:57 Message #4773456
Euro, I think I would continue with the cycling but just making sure I kept to a route that wouldn't entail getting close to anyone else.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 23-Mar-2020 08:31 Message #4773460
Many things are going to be faced as this progresses....Including things like using Common sense, Helping others, keeping spirits up, putting aside differences.....

I think that the majority of the public will be able to step up to the plate......The minority will always be there....but the majority will win the day....

Also...things like funerals will need to be addressed...The acceptance of not being able to attend etc.....Normally family coming from various places etc.....My close family, for instance, are hundreds of miles away.......

It all adds up to a situation that is challenging to say the least.....

And the public always seem to come through challenging situations......We all have our ups and downs....Our disagreements....We all have people we can't stand.....and we all have ones that can't stand us....

And after all this is over...it'll very quickly go back to people annoying each other again......but whilst this is on...it will generally make people think more and care more about others....even if at times it doesn't seem like it.....
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 23-Mar-2020 08:40 Message #4773461
I’ve seen far more acts of kindness, helpfulness and compliance with the actions which can slow the spread of the pandemic in the uk than I have of nastiness or acts of stupidly.
The government guidelines have been consistent from day one and each stage enacted when its believed to be most effective (of course many will say too soon and a similar amount will say too late but that’s armchair scientists for you).
Stay in if possible or go for walks and if others are in the vicinity keep a 6’ distance between you. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water.

There was still a number of queues in the market and the local DIY shop at the weekend with no distancing. Just how daft and unthinking can this minority be?
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 23-Mar-2020 09:05 Message #4773462
I was dismayed yesterday to hear children calling to grandma as they and their parents visited neighbours. What part of social distancing and staying home to safeguard yourself as well as others don't some people understand?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 23-Mar-2020 09:29 Message #4773467
Most of it probably, jennifer.

I had a good day yesterday, I got my spuds planted and some more chitting, some main crop and some new/early, I put a quick growing row of chard in between the spuds, I planted my peas in gutter pipes in the greenhouse and I've started off some tomatoes, herbs and lettuce. I'll ask Fearn to help me dig out the loam pile, she loves digging and all I have to do is scoop up the earth from behind her. I think I shall take it a bit easier today as the last couple of days have been a bit hard on my back.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 23-Mar-2020 09:42 Message #4773468
I had never thought of planting peas in gutter pipes in the g/house W/hen - what a great idea - I am off up the barn in a minute to look through his scrap stuff for some gutter pipe. I know he has some. I'll cut it too. Last year I grew land watercress (the big stuff) in old bottomless largecake tins
Female
happywalker  Female  Dorset 23-Mar-2020 09:43 Message #4773469
Lovely, thoughtful post, Vic.

For those who think they can’t do internet stuff, if you have managed to get yourself a profile on this site, then you have enough tech knowledge ‘know how’ to set up numerous online games with friends.

My 93 year mum in law has a number of serious health conditions, but despite all this, she has managed to live in her flat completely independently (until now when self-isolating is going to be challenging for her). Yesterday, we managed to talk her through (on the phone) downloading an app to enable her to play scrabble with us and anyone else she chooses. I won’t pretend the process was easy, but she managed it and last night she put up a good fight in our first online game! I’ve warned her that it isn’t something I can sit and do all day, but it’s just a new dimension (of which there are thousands out there) to her day and thought it might interest others.
The app we use is Words With Friends and is free if you accept advertising. You can also use afor of instant messaging in the app too - usually reserved for comments like ‘how can that possible be a word?’!

I always thought mum in law was amazing to have an IPad and be able to use it, but now I’m so glad we got her set up on it a couple of years ago.

Might be something that appeals to others?
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 23-Mar-2020 10:04 Message #4773470
With regards to locking down and staying indoors away from groups, etc.....I've got to sympathise with the people who normally live their lives around people......They always have been around people....Always perhaps need to be around people.....There are many like that...

Some of us have already said that we can manage ok on our own....on various threads....the introvert/extrovert one for instance....

So it must be tearing some apart.....not just the virus.....but their complete change in their lives.....It can't be good for their own mental health, if they generally need people around them....and there's nobody....

I find it easy to lock myself away.....although I need to go out to get food and stuff....If I'm unable to do that, then I will start struggling....We're meant to be hearing soon about the 12 weeks thing they announced yesterday....A lot of us on here probably come under that.....Whether it is forced, I don't know...

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 23-Mar-2020 13:43 Message #4773483
A great idea Happywalker. I will mention it to our newly formed local neighbourhood online group.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »