Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What do you think?

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 22-Mar-2020 02:12 Message #4773314
It's been with us a while now, and a lot said about it, this covid 19 virus.
Has it changed your view of mankind? is it a case of battening down the hatches until it's safe to go out? is it just 'one of those things that happens every hundred years or so'? might you change your lifestyle in light of what's happening?

What do you think of the idea of letting us oldies pop our clogs with it? of the idea there is a finite lifespan for all living creatures and our attempts to extend that are, perhaps, misguided? is this 'forced' exclusion giving you time to think of deeper subjects?

Or perhaps it's just a case of waiting 'till it's over then carrying on as before? leading to yet another question, if it's not a case of carrying on as before, what might change? what would you like to see change? Considering there have been other events similar to this from the beginning of time, wars, plagues, dinasaurs and such - is this event really such a big thing in the evolution of mankind?

Too many questions perhaps?
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 22-Mar-2020 03:16 Message #4773315
I'm already on the case with many conspiracy theories......some I have mentioned...environment etc...but here's a few more....

The threads about it on here are spreading faster than the virus itself......MSE Admin are acting suspiciously....Going into hiding etc.....

The toilet roll sales coincide with the winner of 'Worlds Got Talent' performing their toilet roll dance, as well as their 'Toilet roll around comb like a mouth organ' music act......The world has gone barmy for them......although strangely, combs are still in full supply.....

The calls from scam Indian call centres seem to have got less.....I haven't had any for a few days.....

The sales of 'all the stuff that nobody wants' has increased manyfold......The sell by dates were running out and they need to shift them somehow......
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 22-Mar-2020 07:05 Message #4773321
Just nature's way.
It's always happened and always will.

Chris.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 22-Mar-2020 07:41 Message #4773325
Just nature's way.
It's always happened and always will.

Exactly. Governments will do their best to preserve life and protect the most vulnerable but nature is far more powerful than any government.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 22-Mar-2020 08:21 Message #4773333
I am beginning to feel anxious.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 22-Mar-2020 11:52 Message #4773384
its made me realise that a large percentage of the population is selfish and not as civilised as they would like to think they are.

i have never liked the idea of extending life, we must just be part of the natural cycle and as mother nature intended.
there are too many of us now, the earth cannot support many more so a cull of mankind wouldnt go amiss.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 22-Mar-2020 12:17 Message #4773388
If you really mean human life should not be extended then you are advocating the NHS is dispensed with and no conditions given any treatment.

That would likely see average UK lifespan reduced to a level far closer to that of rough sleepers - ie 43/47 for females/males respectively.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 22-Mar-2020 12:24 Message #4773391
certain treatments do not extend life so an nhs of some form would still be required.
Male
Maglorian  Male  North Yorkshire 22-Mar-2020 12:39 Message #4773394
"i have never liked the idea of extending life" (Fosy 22-March-2020 11:52)

"so a cull of mankind wouldnt go amiss" (Fosy 22-March-2020 11:52)

How revealing of your mindset Fosy. To propose the ugliest dystopian narrative. The ideologies of eugenics (controlled reproduction to eliminate the genetically unfit and promote the reproduction of the genetically fit). By revealing this, you clearly consider yourself in the superior selfish category. Unworthy to Live. Unworthy of life. Has popped it's hideous head up again. Keep talking Fosy. An opinion paints a very revealing picture.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 22-Mar-2020 12:44 Message #4773398
So in general terms which treatments would you withhold?
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 22-Mar-2020 13:42 Message #4773404
oh dear , now we are bringing the Nazi beliefs into this.
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire 22-Mar-2020 15:03 Message #4773411
Frightening times we are in
all we can do is stay safe , careful in our hygiene and washing hands , when needs be .

If we can get fresh food etc all the better and have a diet as good as can be ...Sadly we have all this greed and selfishness showing with a certain percentage of mankind / woman kind going totally crazy in the supermarkets and making it so much harder for the likes of myself to be driven to the supermarket for simple daily needs in food and such
This virus will die down , hopefully plenty of people can get back to their jobs and life as we knew it carry on , in calmer ways

THERE ARE LOTS OF QUESTIONS , SOME HAVE NO ANSWERS , AS NO ONE KNOWS
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 22-Mar-2020 15:12 Message #4773415
Has popped it's hideous head up again.

Looking in the mirror?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 22-Mar-2020 22:35 Message #4773453
Maglorian, AvitoDauphine, Wandering4Fun, Witheflow, withgoodintent et al...

ha ha ha...

hook, line and sinker !

your buttons are so easily pressed !

you are on a one [man] mission to prove the adage "theres no fool like an old fool" so true !

despite a claim to the contrary, its nice to see you do still read my contributions to the TREDS...or whatever speeling you are using today !
let the fun begin ;¬)

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 22-Mar-2020 23:08 Message #4773454
Terry,

I hope a lot of people find peace within themselves.

We've developed a society, certainly in the Western world, where entertainment is laid on around every corner. Even baiting people in television shows seems to have normalised trickery and humiliation as as almost a sport.

Many people are unexpectedly going to be dealing with loss as well as isolation, and apart from some who choose to bury their heads in TV drama, maybe some will learn how to reflect how precious life is, that a happier society is an interdependent one and some people might learn giving and kindness is more rewarding than hoarding, selfishness and little minds having a chance to expand and learn.

Personally, I felt a bit of panic and anxiety and was fearful of returning to my old self. But apart from concern for the surreal outside and the health of others, inside I am wonderfully calm and at peace.

I think this enforced isolation will be a voyage of discovery of the self for many.
Male
Maglorian  Male  North Yorkshire 23-Mar-2020 15:47 Message #4773500
I am warmed to read you distancing yourself from such despicable views Fosy. Thank you!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 23-Mar-2020 19:10 Message #4773518
I think its natural in the circumstances to start thinking about such things, and we are seeing how in Spain and Italy doctors have been forced to make horrible desicions about who can be treated, who's most likely to recover. As you say there have been other plagues and disasters, we're lucky to have the luxury of not having to think so much about our mortality, previous generations didn't have such luxuries. But somehow we've survived, not all of us, but I don't think theres a celestial bean counter working out on its abacus that ones number of days has expired and you were due to be killed in an accident, so you'll have to die of CV19 instead, I think its all far more random than that, but I also believe that no ones dies "before their time", so I just accept that when I go it will be the right time. Its still awful when its a young person and it often seems that the good die young whereas the bad live long lives. I'm sure thats not actually true, it just sometimes feels like it is.

I think people will become more aware of each other and it could end up empowering some people to create change for the good, maybe when all this is over people will ask why do I need to travel to work, why can't I work from home more of the time? Maybe the way we engage with each other will change too, we tend to hear of the selfish and the greedy, but forget the way that people are going out of their way to help others.

I wonder if when this is over we will demand changes in our society like we saw at the end of WW2, I hope so.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »