Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Panic Buying

Lidl

Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 21-Mar-2020 09:49 Message #4773206
Needed to go out for just a few bits - milk, bread fruit etc and couldn't decide where to go. I've Lidl, Co-op, Sainsbury, all sort of equidistant and Tesco, Aldi and Asda slightly further away As it transpired there was a parking space outside Sainsbury's so they got my custom. Short on the usuals, pasta, toilet rolls, and vegs but well stocked otherwise.

I heard a siren and a lady came in with the news that Lidl, diagonally opposite, had refused multiple purchases to a customer who had then put the goods in the car and tried to get back in , being refused by security. The whole family then kicked off and the police were called - police station just about half a mile away. In the end a woman was taken to the station and the rest got back in their car and no doubt went to cause trouble at another store.

The lady filling shelves in Sainsbury said apart from the aforementioned goods they have no shortage of stock so WHY, why are people being so nasty and thoughtless. Seems there is plenty to go round if folk would just be sensible.

Sometimes I despair of the human race.

I'm sure this is going on all over the country so has anyone had /seen any unpleasantness?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 21-Mar-2020 10:30 Message #4773215
I've not seen any but I've heard about some, a chap on the deli counter being told he shouldn't be working there because hes got tats and 'we can't see how clean you are'. People coming in everyday and filling their trolleys up to bursting. A lady on the checkout yesterday told me she's seen the best and the worst, one chap with a loaded trolley spending £350 on stockpiling and another with a full trolley who was donating it all to the food bank. I guess those who are stock piling think everybodies like them, selfish, greedy and miserly in the largest sense of the word and others are thoughtfull and kind and altruistic in the largest sense of the word.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 21-Mar-2020 11:30 Message #4773239
There are big signs outside some of our local supermarkets saying only 2 items allowed to each customer in order to share out.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex 21-Mar-2020 11:43 Message #4773242
Iceland are operating a one of each and any item policy.
Yesterday when I was passing a queue outside one (waiting for the senior citizen golden hour to end) and a staff member was yelling this out to those waiting, one "happy" shopper started to complain that if that was the case how would she get the 2 boxes of eggs (which I think is 20p) discount that normally applies. lol
You couldn't make it up.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 21-Mar-2020 13:52 Message #4773264
SG..."Iceland are operating a one of each and any item policy."

Yes, I saw the sign outside and that was what stopped me going in as I knew I wanted 2 bags of mixed salad leaves and 2 tubs of coleslaw to last me the week.

I had tried M&S first and got most of what I wanted except the salad, coleslaw & Braeburn apples. Went to Sainsbury's, got my 2 bags of salad, had to get 4 tubs of coleslaw as they only had the smallest and promptly forgot to look for braeburn apples! :-(
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 21-Mar-2020 17:35 Message #4773276
I went to Aldi today about 12.45 mid day and it was easy to park. Inside the shop there were only about 25 people in total, and all the shelves were filled to the top, even toilet rolls. Only thing missing was Paracetemol. Loads of bread , fresh fruit & veg and meat. I went for cat food, which I'd forgotten in the week. It was a pleasure to walk round (even with my gloves and mask)... lol. No limits on any products either.

Loudwater Nr High Wycombe if anyone's interested.

The lad on the checkout till, said they started at 4.00am today to ensure the shop was completely clean, and the shelves filled.
Top marks Aldi.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 21-Mar-2020 17:40 Message #4773278
I haven’t seen much of the panic buying except on social media as I get almost every delivered but today I had to venture out, whilst ensuring my social distancing, and popped into a Budgens. They had cereal, beans, bread, pasta and various hand cleaning things. The only thing which wasn’t there was toilet rolls although they did have various tissues which would be ok in an emergency.
Everyone seemed friendly and the orderly queues at three checkouts were only a few customers deep .. and keeping plenty of space between each other.
A pleasant surprise.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 21-Mar-2020 20:17 Message #4773292
….. North London. They probably couldn't afford your prices!
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 21-Mar-2020 20:35 Message #4773295
Gilpin - not sure if you mean my post, but if so... Loudwater, High Wycombe is South Bucks, just 12 miles from Middx. All branches of Aldi are same throughout.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 21-Mar-2020 20:36 Message #4773296
No Victoriana, not yours. North London.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 21-Mar-2020 20:42 Message #4773298
ok thanks Gilpin
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 21-Mar-2020 22:34 Message #4773306
V,
aldi here in my town have a 4 items / person limit, and empty shelves all round.

same at lidl.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 22-Mar-2020 07:44 Message #4773326
Everyone seemed friendly and the orderly queues at three checkouts were only a few customers deep .. and keeping plenty of space between each other.

Same here. Queues busy but nothing resembling the media reports.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 22-Mar-2020 08:15 Message #4773331
The few places I have been to, I have noticed that everyone is so much more friendly, even complete strangers.

Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 22-Mar-2020 09:09 Message #4773336
I haven't personally noticed any nastiness. It's all been quite jovial and polite when I have made brief forays out into the world to get food. Mind you, I have made a point of venturing out at times when I expected it to be quiet and so far have managed to get there before the hoards have arrived. I use the state of the car park to decide whether I want to go in or not. If the car park looks busy, I stay away.
maybe it is people en masse that creates tension. Humans aren't really designed to live in the densities of population that we do in the modern world.
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire 22-Mar-2020 09:11 Message #4773337
I went to the local small Sainsbury's on Friday and the shelves and freezers were almost empty of everything apart from prawns and fresh bread and rolls. On my way back I filled my car with petrol and was able to get vegetables from there. Luckily my daughter in law works in a hospital and is currently in a supermarket during a special NHS shopping time and she offered to try and get the things I wasn't able to.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 22-Mar-2020 10:57 Message #4773372
I actually dared to venture to my local Lidl yersterday just after 2.30pm and it was like a ghost shop. Nobody around at all. The fruit and veg sections were absolutely full, also cheese and milk etc. and fresh fish. Only a little chicken left and the freezer cabinets had been stripped bare. Didn't bother me, as I rarely buy frozen goods. Clearly the panic buyers had been out in force earlier. Perhaps when they all left the fruit and veg. was filled up? Normally I go to self service till, with just my couple of items, as the manned ones have people with loaded trolly's queuing but this time one person was just finishing paying at manned till, so I used that. It just seemed so eerily quiet. Glad the panic buyers had run out of steam by then. : -)

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »