Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

England to follow rest of Britain

Schools will be closed to most pupils

1 2 Next   Last  

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
18-Mar-2020 17:59 Message #4773011
This will take effect at end of lessons on Friday. Key Workers children will still be able to attend. GCE and A level exams will not take place. But children will still get their certificates... A* for everybody?

I am hoping that my daughter's teaching services will no longer be needed at her Primary school. She has already worked through a Whooping Cough term, in spite of not having full protection (she had an adverse reaction to the first jab and it was decided a second should not be done), she has chronic asthma, treated with steroids, and has recently had Pneumonia. Her Headmistress did not give her the choice to withdraw her services in spite of her being in a high risk category.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
18-Mar-2020 18:28 Message #4773015
Are you sure children will automatically be given A* ? That as the the impression I got. I do think the government have been spot on with the timing. It would have been more catastrophic if schools had been closed earlier when some were demanding they should be.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
18-Mar-2020 18:40 Message #4773017
Aely, your poor daughter, thats terrible that she should be given no choice when she's in such a vulnerable group.

Have they announced how grades will be awarded, I didn't see anythig about it on the news just now other than people will get the grades they deserve? Maybe it will be on assessments of course work and projected grades?
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
18-Mar-2020 18:45 Message #4773018
Well, it would seem logical. Most of them seem to get whatever the equivilent is these days.

Closing the schools is a difficult decision when so many parents have to work just to get by. Very few families have the luxury of childcare at home these days. Those who rely on Grandparents to do childcare in emergencies obviously can't do that this time! At the same time, most children aren't badly affected by the virus, but the school can be a focal point for spreading it, as the children mix together and take it home with them. A bit like spreading man-eating head lice.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
18-Mar-2020 21:58 Message #4773041
Yep it's going to be really really weird at the school where I work, maybe all the way up until September.
Closing is a massive thing and incredibly disruptive...
Female
bella111  Female  Devon
18-Mar-2020 22:52 Message #4773048
They should either delay exams and college or get same grade as in their mocks, ridiculous if the all got an A grade.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
18-Mar-2020 23:43 Message #4773051
After Friday, when all the kids and teenagers are off school it will not be safe enough for me to walk the dogs !
Today the fields were empty and only saw 1 other dogwalker some good distance away. so nice to be outside in the fields. I do not think many youngsters will obey orders from their parents to stay indoors .

But it`s not only youngsters who forget to keep a good distance of 2 meters apart at all times. Today 2 men were having an animated conversation with the chap who cleaned and repaired my driveway .

leogirl.
Male
19-Mar-2020 10:31 Message #4773053
Indeed, the clocks go forward soon, lighter evenings combined with better weather are going to make it difficult to stay indoors.
It's a tough call....
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
19-Mar-2020 11:54 Message #4773064
I think this is going to be difficult to predict, with so called key workers children and the vulnable being able to attend school. It could be that depending on parents shifts, they may come in two days or five days. There again if all their friends are off they may protest at being the only ones going in. Certainly older teenagers are less likely to go in. My daughter is a teacher and does not know how it will work out yet. Maybe a rota for going in and a class of mixed ages. You cannot really have a class with just one pupil for example. She will still be doing lesson planning when at home and setting work on computer etc. It is actually very short notice to know what is required for Monday. Children of key worker parents being contacted, to find out if they are sending children in or not etc. It could be a while, before knowing exact numbers, who will be attending and when?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
19-Mar-2020 12:38 Message #4773065
I hope they go back to course work and even those do not always reflect the ability of a student.

I wonder how many people become successful in spite of poor results because they had a bad day on the test, or "Could do better" by a teacher lacking insight.

I really hope we develop a more broad method of assessing ability since we often end up with academically "clever" people who either cannot apply what they have learned, or complacent, or even quite stupid in other ways.

Many employers are becoming less interested in grades and look at other skill history.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
19-Mar-2020 13:24 Message #4773069
Obviously assuming that schools will re-open at some point, I really can't see why exams for those due to take them this Summer can't be sat as per usual when they're able to. Surely much of the required syllabus would have been covered as it's only a few weeks before the Easter break.
If they're not in school there's no reason why they can't spend the time revising at home on what they've been taught already. They're going to have plenty of spare time indoors.
Then the exam boards could tailor the papers to reflect the loss of schooling over the period and maybe combine the results with course work and any grades already achieved in mocks etc, to get to a weighted overall grade.
Anyone who just receives a grade automatically will only devalue grades of students who have gone before and will come after.
Luckily I'm not in the position to have to worry about it, but have sympathy for all of those that are.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
19-Mar-2020 14:02 Message #4773071
I have just had a message from my daughter, who is a teacher and apparently the schools are likely to still be quite full. They are awaiting a full list from the government, on who is allowed to send their children to school. So far they know that it includes children of teachers, policemen/women, NHS staff, delivery drivers and cleaners, as well as vulnable children. Just seems mad. They either close them or they don't, rather than a half hearted attempt. We really do not seem to be doing enough. Other countries have more of a complete lock down, with everything shut. Here we still have night clubs, pubs, reataurants etc. etc all still open. Far too easy for germs to be spread around.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
19-Mar-2020 14:23 Message #4773072
If they say kids of NHS staff and delivery drivers cannot attend school - then you overnight put NHS/food delivery in to crisis - even more so than already.

That was the core reason for delay in closing England's schools.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
19-Mar-2020 15:24 Message #4773073
There is now a new caveat around key workers kids attending school - Govt say both parents need to be in the specified key worker groups.

Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
19-Mar-2020 16:26 Message #4773074
Well I, m glad they are shut, I dread getting four buses a day keeping him in school, we, re isolating in offices in work so he will come in with me, schools will only stay open if they have the staff, I have a soldier married to a nurse and they have no nursery open for their child, so hoping to work flexi, but as both are important workers who knows how that will work?
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon
19-Mar-2020 18:55 Message #4773096
SG..."They're going to have plenty of spare time indoors."

Technically they won't. We are having to produce lessons remotely for all classes we would normally have. Ok there won't be a way of making them do the work, but the lessons will be there for them.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
20-Mar-2020 05:27 Message #4773110
All Gloucestershire Libraries are closing in the next couple of days until further notice.....

Online services will be available.......

We are going to be relying on online things so much.....I hope that everything is done to keep most things online up and running......
Female
20-Mar-2020 09:19 Message #4773117
I just saw th list of essential workers and its pretty broad, from people who keep our essential services going such as BT and power station staff, to delivery staff.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
20-Mar-2020 13:41 Message #4773131
Schools being closed is an absolute joke. My daughter who is a school teacher is absolutely stressed out by it all. She has just been informed that due to the amount of key worker children, that she has to come in and work full time as normal. Except suppossedly now it is just in a child minding capacity. She also now has to set and mark work on the computer for those children not coming into school. On top of this she has thirty school reports to write up and it takes a good hour for each one. Then there are her own two children who have been very upset and stressed, especially her eight year old son who is very sensitive. They do not want to go into their school for child minding , so she may have to take them in with her. And to top it all it seems that Easter holidays could be cancelled and will need to continue going in to school, to look after key workers children, who would normally have been off anyway. Schools are hardly closed when only for a few. And unless we have complete lock down as other countries, the virus will continue to spread. It is no good having pubs, clubs etc. open as usual. I have also noticed that if I do venture out, that my town is much busier than it usually ever is and car parks far more full, with all the panic buyers out in force. Pubs and coffee shops equally doing more trade. Boris is hardly doing a thing to curb the spread at all.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
20-Mar-2020 14:15 Message #4773133
Teachers in permanent posts get paid even if their own school is closed due to CV - though not Supply Teachers who get an enhanced daily pay rate when they are working.

CV is a totally unprecedented scenario across the world and extraordinary measures are needed to try to keep the country running - rather than having the whole of the working age population sat at home as child minders.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
21-Mar-2020 07:09 Message #4773183
It was wrongly reported that both parents had to be key workers, as nohing to specify this on list received at my daughters school on Friday. That list was so extensive though that it included parents of about 70% of the pupils in their school. Boris might as well have said schools open but you can take children out for their own safety if you wish. The list included ALL retail staff, which meant that a mother who works in retail for the Cats Protection society can claim to be a key worker. Hardly on par with nhs staff. Since the list came out though Boris has closed pubs, clubs etc. so maybe a few less. And some key workers may decide not to send their children in but will not know until next week. And there is nothing to stop somebody claiming to be a key worker when they are not, as no means to actually check. But with so many, it will be impossible to practise social distancing and is putting the lives of many at risk with the virus spreading. I know my daughter is forever picking up something or other from children at school. Every bug going around she will catch. And her own children equally catch everything, so I am really worried for her. And her husband did have pneumonia not that long ago, so is at higher risk. On top of that the school has had to contend with waring parents. A mother is insisting her children stay at home with her all week, but her ex, who is a key worker is equally insisting they have a school place, on the days he would normally collect from school. Just mad.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
21-Mar-2020 07:40 Message #4773185
It's an awful one to get the balance right.....The decision makers are acting on their feet....

A complete total lockdown would be worse.....in my opinion.....Maybe it'll come to that.....We've got to pray that it doesn't.....Or if praying's not your thing.....then do what you do....

There will be criticisms no matter what......We're people....and that's what people do.....but we need to get through it.....and changing rules each day seems like a good thing......chaotic perhaps.....but good.....We all have to be tolerant or whatever the words are.....

Bit by bit our lives are changing......A lot of our own interests and activities are being shutdown for the moment.....We've just got to hope that every action is helping to try and contain it......Whilst the scientists try and find the 'cure'........perhaps leaving bread to go mouldy......although that ones already been done....
Male
21-Mar-2020 07:54 Message #4773186
"The list included ALL retail staff, which meant that a mother who works in retail for the Cats Protection society can claim to be a key worker. Hardly on par with nhs staff. "

Well don't you think that perhaps the government are relying on people to take a bit of responsibility, use common sense and do their bit?
You seem to have a low opinion of people, are you suggesting people will attempt to send their kids to the school even if they are not a key worker? For what purpose, to sit at home child free?...
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
21-Mar-2020 08:10 Message #4773189
It's an awful one to get the balance right.....The decision makers are acting on their feet....

A complete total lockdown would be worse.....in my opinion.....Maybe it'll come to that.....We've got to pray that it doesn't.....Or if praying's not your thing.....then do what you do....

There will be criticisms no matter what......We're people....and that's what people do.....but we need to get through it.....and changing rules each day seems like a good thing......chaotic perhaps.....but good.....We all have to be tolerant or whatever the words are.....

Bit by bit our lives are changing......A lot of our own interests and activities are being shutdown for the moment.....We've just got to hope that every action is helping to try and contain it......Whilst the scientists try and find the 'cure'........perhaps leaving bread to go mouldy......although that ones already been done....

Very good post tumbled. Leaders around the world have had to take onboard the changing situations in their countries and with their own experts make plans they believe will be for the best. Nobody has the answers. Nobody knows the best actions to take. They can only react as quickly as possible to the spreading pandemic. I hope we continue to get it write but hope is all we have.
Female
21-Mar-2020 10:06 Message #4773208
I they're trying to protect children who are from chaotic homes as well as key workers. With just about everything shut down apart from food and pharmacies, I'm sure your daughters work load will get lighter as more people keep thier children at home. Don't forget grandparents do lots of childcare in school holidays, but that can't happen now.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations