Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

A speck of light

in the tunnel maybe

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 18-Mar-2020 10:31 Message #4772978
Its seems that theres some hope of a drug that will help with CV19 a Japanese drug which is manufactured for flu variants seem to cut the time people have CV19 for and it cuts the respiratory problems too. China is hailing this drug too and has confirmed the research, hopefully this will give hope that this can be contained and won't be such a huge problem in the future. The problems will be getting enough of it manufacture would have to be massively increased, but at least the drug has one through all the human safety stuff already from what I understand which will cut the testing time massively.

As I say its nothing definate, just a ray of light that hopefully won't be a false dawn.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 18-Mar-2020 14:00 Message #4772994
I do hope so W/hen. I really do hope so.

There is also talk of one of the HIV drugs being tested, and which is supposed to be helping.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 18-Mar-2020 19:56 Message #4773034
Let's hope the light grows steadily brighter.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 18-Mar-2020 20:19 Message #4773036
Sir Patrick Vallance did flag yesterday that whilst even 3/4 yrs ago we would have expected any new vaccine to take 20 yrs to develop - we can now move soon to human trials of some hopeful products and hope to foreshorten the usual timespan.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 21-Mar-2020 20:35 Message #4773294
Human trials have begun recently in the US and next month in the UK. Prevention and treatment, but it's not going to be available obviously for some time.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 22-Mar-2020 15:34 Message #4773417
Remdesivir

A broad spectrum anti-viral treatment developed for Ebola. It was used to treat the United States' first COVID19 patient in January who has now made a full recovery.
- Telegraph

The genetic code for the virus was only sequenced in January. That sounds incredibly fast or pure luck.

There are quite a few promising treatments, Moderna, human trials now in Seattle. A measles viral vaccine to develop a COVID jab, Lassa fever vaccine also promising. A combination therapy of some HIV drugs, I think to treat the symptoms, which can be very nasty. We seem to be getting there, but I don't know at what speed.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 22-Mar-2020 18:09 Message #4773425
Its relatively easy to do genetic tests on most things these days, including viruses, its what to do with the information when you've got it thats the problem, at least we have this extra tool in our tool box and it will hopefully shorten the time it takes for effectve treatments and hopefully a vacine.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 22-Mar-2020 21:05 Message #4773443
I was thinking more how they managed to restore that person back to health. Even if it took over 2 months. Assuming they were at death's door. Or they wouldn't have printed the story.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 25-Mar-2020 09:56 Message #4773653
Theres a Science park on Anglesey and in the last week they've invented a 3D printable door handle extension device that mean you can fit it to almost any door handle and use your elbow to open and close doors and a snood thats a proper face mask that filters out germs and stuff. Theres an article on BBC Wales North West news frontpage if anyones interested.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »