Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

ITS HAPPENING......SO

what can you do to help others ?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 17-Mar-2020 08:57 Message #4772888
The government have put out some very clear guidelines to try to contain this dreadful virus and avoid non essential contact with others to hopefully stop the spread of covid 19

Apart from going out for essential shopping and exercise, which we are still asked to "distance" ourselves from others, we will all be pretty much be socially isolated for some time.
Maybe up to 12 weeks.

Apart from the obvious, to take care of ourselves and family, what can you do to help others in your community ?

It doesn't even have to be physical
contact, a friendly phone call would suffice.

My local day centre for the elderly, is about to shut, which may be the only contact some have with other people.

I'm personally very worried, as I have no friends or family in my town,
they are all within a 7 mile radius, and dotted over the country.
So imagine others on their own, especially the elderly who, now it's official, may be very frightened by the latest news.

I am a befriender for the collaborative
care team , a service run by Age Uk
Northamptonshire.
I am the ONLY volunteer , through cutbacks, this side of the county.

I have had an email from the office and know it will be suspending the service, owing to recent events.

I have emailed back to inform them that I am prepared to phone the most vulnerable elderly people on their books to give them a reassuring phone call and just to make them feel they are not alone.
Obviously I can't take on too many, that would be impossible, but I want to be of some use, however small.

So folks in this worrying, unprecedented time, are you able to help anyone in your locality, however
small ,you will make a difference.

It doesn't have yo be the elderly, just anyone who is vulnerable person..
Anyone in need.

I wish you all well and take care of yourselves.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire 17-Mar-2020 09:03 Message #4772890
Our corner of our road ahs already been operating a 'good neighbour' scheme for a couple of years, so I just see that continuing, at perhas a higher level than before.

Trevor
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 17-Mar-2020 10:39 Message #4772896
I keep thinking that because I have just retired from NHS nursing and still registered and validated I could offer if I see any adverts requesting it.

On the other hand I am not feeling great as in other thread, sore throat etc, some nausea, but would be one of those occasions where had I been working I would be stressing over ringing in sick.

I am also a carer to two vulnerable adult children and my daughter in particular is off sick with recovering from a viral infection, anxiety due to the PIP stuff rearing it's head again, and ME is thought to involve being immuno-compromised. So if I do go back to work, I could be putting her at greater risk as she is double more vulnerable to getting Coronavirus due to ME, not yet fully recovered from another infection if I bring anything back home.

I feel quite guilty about not doing anything yet, but since I am 66 and have a chest that for no reason seems to be vulnerable to secondary infections, already have something I am struggling with, I guess I will watch and wait.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 17-Mar-2020 10:56 Message #4772904
Lyn there will be plenty of time to offer your services when you're better, sounds like the best thing you can do now is stay at home and get as much rest as possible.

I've offered help to 3 elderly neighbours, not being a social person practising social isolation won't be that much of a problem.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 17-Mar-2020 17:21 Message #4772919
I feel I could do something for housebound people but at my age I am housebound myself, more so because my car is in repair and I may not get it back soon.
However, I helping small businesses out by having some work done NOW before that is even " strongly recommended " NOT to have people working around the house. ( outside)
noticed that 2 other people thought the same and having trees pruned !
keep well, keep safe.

leogirl.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 17-Mar-2020 20:24 Message #4772942
Sounds like a good worthwhile scheme Trevor.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 17-Mar-2020 20:31 Message #4772943
Lyn...you must not feel guilty, I didn't write this yo built trip any one, honestly.

I remember you saying about your daughter before.
The way the PIP system is conducted is a disgrace....I've been hysterical before now on a one to one assessment, do I fully understand, and my great niece has m.e
Her mum m.s.

I have chronic kidney disease stage 3 so in high risk.

You don't sound very well Lyn, do take care of yourself first and foremost..x
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 17-Mar-2020 20:32 Message #4772944
HEN...

your flipping hilarious at times but I don't think you even know it :)
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 17-Mar-2020 20:36 Message #4772945
LG.

Well your doing your bit for small businesses, they're really going to suffer badly.

You look after yourself too :)
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 18-Mar-2020 02:53 Message #4772965
I'm already 1:1-ing for nothing to free up nurses so nothing's changed really.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire 18-Mar-2020 07:27 Message #4772967
I’m not doing anything specific but have offered my help to a few in our local community and I’m getting a few things in the shops today for them.
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 18-Mar-2020 09:42 Message #4772971
I run a Meetup friendship group, most people being on their own, and have had to cancel events because of the restrictions of CV. To keep the group going, I started a "virtual" group for members to chat, exchange experiences, music, whatever. It is proving hard work! I have 160 members and I could count on the fingers of one hand the members who have actually bothered to add something or reply to anything.

I also have a Facebook page going for the group, and 10 members have joined!

Feeling like I am wasting my time and trying not to give up. We have a long way to go staying at home and keeping social distancing.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 18-Mar-2020 10:38 Message #4772979
Why what have I done now?
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 18-Mar-2020 12:25 Message #4772983
HEN...

You've done nothing, just they way you come over when you write...
It just makes me smile :)

Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 18-Mar-2020 12:41 Message #4772985
Jennifer,

Sounds like a brilliant idea.
Even though you might feel you're not getting very far at the moment, it's early days and people, whilst taking it seriously, I don't think it has fully hit home yet.

You're certainly not wasting your time.
I'd be happy to join your group but I'm not on Facebook or any such like.

I am going to have a list of elderly,
vulnerable people emailed to me from Northamptonshire Age Uk to phone.
Also I work with adults with learning disabilities and a couple of them live on their own. My manager is drawing up a Rota so we can give them at least two phone calls a day.

We may be isolated for many weeks and I have to have something to keep me going, so it's good Jennifer to organise these things.

Hard work, thankless??
Yes all of the above, but if you only get one person benefiting from your efforts, it is ultimately worthwhile and appreciated.

Yesterday I phoned a man that I had been befriending for several weeks but had completed the visits 2-3 weeks ago.
I phoned him yesterday and he said I had made his day and he was going to be 84 today....that's what you call worthwhile :)
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 18-Mar-2020 15:08 Message #4773001
An elderly lady knocked on my door last night ( she lives next door,) asking me if I needed any shopping, I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 18-Mar-2020 15:29 Message #4773002
mancers,

I consider myself normally quite fit and not frail, but a hairdresser asked me if I could manage the stairs, and more recently two separate men on a tram journey offered me their seat.

Maybe we are self deluded lol.

However, I am so glad I didn't embark on a 10 mile round trip on my new bike today as I feel 20 years older than when I got up this morning.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 18-Mar-2020 15:44 Message #4773005
Hi V, I have been walking every day about three miles a day down the river Mersey on top of shopping etc, the lady in question loos as if she couldn’t walk hundred yards, but it’s the thought that counts I suppose, it just put me in a state of shock lol.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 18-Mar-2020 16:01 Message #4773006
There are lots of neighbourhood help groups - but I just wonder if the Supermarket shelves are stripped bare within say 2 hrs of opening where they would be able to buy food for the vulnerable anyway?

From what media are saying it now literally needs a dawn raid to ensure you have any kind of choice when grocery shopping - and online orders are deferred for around 3 weeks as there are no slots - with Ocado no longer accepting new online customers.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 18-Mar-2020 18:54 Message #4773023
Ocado has suspended new orders until the weekend.

I saw on the news earlier that theres an online choir started up, people are logging on and singing along and dancing about and having great fun, what a brillinat idea.
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire 22-Mar-2020 11:05 Message #4773374
Boydel, dawn raids don't help. My daughter in law went o the special NHS early opening this morning in a large Tescos and said there were big gaps on the shelves.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 22-Mar-2020 12:20 Message #4773389
I've been very unsure whether to post this, but it could help very many people so here goes.

I let some premises and keep an excellent relationship with my tenants. Recently I wrote to a landlords association and to a letting agency including as below. Some MSE members may like to do similar.

"Due to the Coronavirus COVID-19 crisis, which will significantly reduce the income of many tenants, I am making the rent for all of my tenants £zero for all of April and May 2020. This is a gift, not a loan nor deferment of payment. You may like to invite all of your landlords who can afford to do similar to do so. Any rents paid by standing order can be refunded. A possible exception is tenants who are deliberately antisocial tenants. This not only helps tenants, but shows that landlords will also lose income, and should reduce their worries and raise morale generally at this very difficult and depressing time for practically everybody.

... members who belong to other landlord associations or use letting agents may like to ask their contacts to suggest similar."

[By "antisocial" tenants I mean those who deliberately unnecssarily make life miserable for other people and/or who damage the property etc. Unfortunately current laws make it even more difficult to evict them, but fortunatly at present all my tenants are excellent.]
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 22-Mar-2020 12:23 Message #4773390
Sounds good Jeff......Well played....
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 22-Mar-2020 12:37 Message #4773393
Lyn, take care of yourself first ! You cant help others if you are unwell, so your duty is to yourself. Try and rest up a bit and if possible try and relax. I know its very difficult at the moment.There's so much going on.
((hugs)) V x
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 22-Mar-2020 12:40 Message #4773395
Thanks Victoria.
Xx

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »