Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Now all the sports been cancelled

what would you like shown to replace it

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 14-Mar-2020 11:14 Message #4772625
on tv schedules? I'd quite like to see to repeats of classic drama series, like I Claudius and stuff like that rather than endless repeats of James Bond films.

But it does beg the question of what are we planing to entertain ourselves if we're self isolating? I've got loads of sewing I could do as long as my fiingers hold out, I suppose I'm allowed in the garden? Mummyhen has masses of jigsaw puzzles, which I'm sure she'd have lots of help from the cats and Fearn with, and I could probably reread all my books without repeating any for about 4 or 5 months or going onto Manthings and Mummyhens books.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 14-Mar-2020 11:34 Message #4772626
I rarely go to sports venues but I do spend most of my time away from the house in one place or another.
If I had to self isolate I can’t see any difficulty as there will always be plenty to do online. 70 or do channels on tv including around 100 films per day free on Freeview. Painting the house perhaps and catching up with numerous odd jobs, I might even clean the windows which I noticed this morning were a bit grubby. Lots to do out in the garden too and without the usual time restraints the garden and house should be looking shipshape by the time I venture out again.
Less energetic? I’ve probably got well over a 1000 books I’d happily read again.

Good shout wonderoushen. I’ve also got quite a number of large jigsaw puzzles which nobody wanted to tackle.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 14-Mar-2020 12:59 Message #4772632
As long as the internet stays up and running, then I'll be like a pig in wotsits if I have to isolate.....

Reading as well.....I've a load of books at home.....Some I haven't read yet......some worthy of a second or multiple read.....

The sports cancellations are inevitable.....Some have survived.....but more and more are off...or going to be off....Cheltenham was on this week, and todays racing is still on.....but the outlook isn't good....Eddie Hearn was trying to be positive about the boxing...but there are going to be casualties in the schedules...

At some point they may have to call everything off......

Another point......I'm not sure what happens with the isolation thing.....Self isolation is one thing.....but compulsory isolation is something else......Are you allowed to venture out at all?....Will shops be open ?.....

What happens if you get caught outdoors?.....Do the isolation police shoot you dead?....

If all schools close.....are the kids allowed out to play?......

If everything closes down........or locks down....or whatever.....we're f'cked....

We may be about to find out....
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 14-Mar-2020 13:37 Message #4772635
Italy is allowing people to go to work/food shops and pharmacy but otherwise want you indoors
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 14-Mar-2020 13:45 Message #4772637
Spain has shut its borders.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 14-Mar-2020 13:57 Message #4772639
In all seriousness it makes you wonder about curfews and stuff, you only have to look at the pathetic scenes in supermarkets to see how easily common sense goes out of the window and people turn into complete animals.
I wonder how long before control measures have to be brought in, rationing and such like and not just the supermarkets doing it.
You can see why the government are reluctant to lock everybody indoors, we have already shown we are incapable of acting rationally and it's only been a few days.
"CLOSE THE SCHOOLS" people are shouting with no thought to the consequences of enforced isolation for weeks on end.
I agree, if everything closes down we are fucked and what's on the telly will be the least of our concerns....
Female
shewolf  Female  Somerset 14-Mar-2020 14:00 Message #4772641
any thing we have sports channels should keep all the sport there any way
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 14-Mar-2020 15:23 Message #4772643
Bloke in shop was mortified the football been cancelled he had to talk to his wife and found out she was made redundant from Woolworths lol lol
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 14-Mar-2020 15:26 Message #4772644
They could replace the hours of missing sports with broadcasts of bands and concerts from around the country. I think we have plenty of everything else already.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 14-Mar-2020 18:57 Message #4772667
If schools close down for weeks or months then what happens to the jobs of the parents who have to stay at home? Normally in school holidays there are other things like clubs and stuff, but presumably they won't be running either. I think thing will calm down though, you can only sustain panic for so long, if things shut down for to long then people will start breaking isolation when they're coming down with something spreading it further.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 15-Mar-2020 07:52 Message #4772697
They could replace the hours of missing sports with broadcasts of bands and concerts from around the country. I think we have plenty of everything else already.

That is a brilliant suggestion.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex 15-Mar-2020 08:01 Message #4772701
I would expect that schools etc. will close. It's a pity that the Easter school break up doesn't start for another 3 weeks, as being the second longest holiday period that would've already been planned for it would've been handy if that could've formed part of the closure. But it looks like that might just be too far ahead.
Unfortunately, it's also the time when most people with school age kids would've booked trips away to take advantage of the long break and the start of better weather, in say the Med.
Well it looks like enforced stay-at home-cations will be the only thing on offer now.

On a lighter side, I wonder how long it will take career burglars and shoplifters to start making complaints that this making people stay at home and shutting down shops malarkey is playing havoc with their lives and the government are breaching their human rights. !!
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 15-Mar-2020 10:04 Message #4772723
I would like to see more cookery ( normal food!) and gardening programmes on TV
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 15-Mar-2020 10:19 Message #4772725
Victoriana. So would I as long as they didn’t star so-called celebrities and competitions.

Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex 15-Mar-2020 12:28 Message #4772746
Fortunately a new series of Ready, Steady, Cook stated last week.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 15-Mar-2020 12:43 Message #4772747
I don't think I will run out of stuff to do. Already work from home, so I will be busy during working hours. I have heaps of books that I haven't read and heaps of music to listen to while I am doing my crafting stuff. I have wool for knitting, embroidery stuff and a fabric stash for making stuff and painting gear aswell. Plus I have a whole rake of jobs around the house and in the garden to do.
I wondered how I will get exercise whilst we are all under house arrest. I am expecting the gym to close soon, maybe next weekend. Housework and gardening are supposed to be good exercise. I might have to get a hula hoop and a skipping rope for keep fit.
Does anyone know if we will be allowed to go out for walks, so long as keep our distance from other people? I have open fields at the back of my house, which are only used by dog walkers.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 15-Mar-2020 13:04 Message #4772749
The house arrest does imply literally no trips away from home - and is expected to be applied in "coming weeks" rather than months away per Matt Hancock this morning - so obvs could be literally next week.

That implicitly assumes that all affected households are signed up for home grocery deliveries - which does not need internet access as you can order over the phone but I know Sainsbury charge an extra £3 for that service.

There will of course be a few very outlying areas where home delivery is not available.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 15-Mar-2020 18:55 Message #4772787
Fearn will go crazy if I have to self isolate, I'm the only one who can take her out, so I will keep walking her for a long as possible, luckly I do have plenty of open space around. Mind you I think I'd go fairly crazy too even though the garden would end up being immaculate.

My son and DiL are self isolating at the moment, yesterday they had a food delivery with loads of missing items and a driver who got really angry with them when they asked him to leave the shopping on the doorstep, there was nothing on the online form to inform the shop or the driver that you were self isolating. I think the drivers behaviour was OTT, but may be indicative of the attitudes of many, I think the stores themselves ought to be giving drivers and other delivery staff information about infection risks and make a space on their internet forms for people who are self isolating to say so.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 15-Mar-2020 19:32 Message #4772792
Just Eat, who I sometimes order takeaways through, have sent an email saying that deliveries can be requested to be left at the door....then they knock.....and run away quick....

Working from home and self isolating......are they not allowed to do any work?....I suppose they are officially signed off sick....

Don't throw your toilet rolls at me.....they are much too precious.....but how many 'self isolating' are just wanting a week or two of skive.....I'm sure it must be happening......The phone call.....the ill weak voice....'I can't come in today cough cough cough' and all that....Peter Kay does a good routine of phoning in sick....

How do you know if you've got it?....You can't make appointments online.....The hospitals don't want you turning up.....There's on note on our doctors site that says:-

' Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Do not book a GP appointment if you think you might have coronavirus.
Stay at home and avoid close contact with other people.'

Is it all just self diagnosis for most people......The symptoms seem to be similar to normal cold type things...manflu etc....proper flu.....all sorts of normal type ailments....

It's all a bit weird......Conspiracy theories will be flying around......more than the actual bug.......eg....The toilet roll billionaire boom starts here.....

When Princess Diana died.....the florists made a killing.....literally....It was them that did it....
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 16-Mar-2020 10:11 Message #4772830
It depends on your job as to what and how much work you can do from home, my DiL can do pretty much all her work from home, my sone can only do basic admin as he's not allowed to take confidential information out of the work place.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 16-Mar-2020 11:07 Message #4772837
The company I worked for.....it varied from job to job whether people could work from home......

Our department couldn't do it at all.....apart from the manager.....We had to be onsite.....covering 24/7.....12 hour shifts.......The manager can 'manage' from home....sort of.....and things like writing appraisals and handling emails can usually be done from home....and other things where you need to be away from office distractions etc....phones going....people 'spotting' you at your desk and making a beeline.

We also had secure lines and confidential stuff.....Not just MoD.....but various clients.....

Other clients were not under the same restrictions....Some support teams could log in from home and do what they needed to do.....

In other jobs out there.....I'm not sure of the percentage that would be able to work from home.....Some jobs are obvious.....
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 16-Mar-2020 11:34 Message #4772840
I can envisage that the CV crisis may lead to a permanent change of how many people work - ie the millions of people who commute many miles each day to spend 80%/90% of the day on a PC.

Plus anyone working in say central London will be paying around £3000 pa from net pay for an annual rail Season Ticket just from the edge of Greater London and double that from say Brighton.

Obvs whilst CV is a rapidly evolving issue we are told that lockdowns etc could be part of the landscape for another year from now.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 16-Mar-2020 15:43 Message #4772849
I can do everything at home that I can in the office. I can reach all the servers that I use normally and all my filing. And my work laptop is set up to be my telephone, but we use skype mostly for meetings. None of the people that I work with are based in the UK even.
I don't use paper, at all, except for my working notebook.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 16-Mar-2020 16:37 Message #4772851
There is talk that if too many kids use the internet and people work from home the internet might crash, although to be honest only caught part of the news.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 16-Mar-2020 18:27 Message #4772857
If anyone bring down my beloved Internet.....I'll be very cross.....

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »