Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

I didn't agree to this

Amazon Prime

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Mar-2020 10:26 Message #4772128
I found out today I've been signed up for Amazon Prime, I've no real idea of how long I've been signed up for it or how long I've been paying for it, I shall have to go to the bank and ask for a call back on the money paid out for it. I've specifically and deliberatly said no when to being a prime member when asked, I have no use for it, what I want to know is how they managed to sign me up for it and take money from my bank without my consent or knowlege. I've cancelled it now, but that was a job, they certainly don't want to let you go once they've got hold of you, I had to go through about 5 or 6 different pages to find the one to cancel it and then about 5 or 6 more before they finally let me cancel.

Watch out folks they're waiting to get you.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 7-Mar-2020 10:44 Message #4772130
Strangely enough I had a phone call questioning me about my prime account. I don't have one, and put the receiver down and called Amazon. Apparently it was a bogus call, trying to get details of you Amazon account.

If you signed up to the free period on Prime, you have to cancel or it is automatically renewed. But if you didn't I would ask Amazon how it happened. Or change your account details/password.
Male
Beach  Male  Somerset 7-Mar-2020 10:53 Message #4772133
You must have purchased something from Amazon prior.

If so, your credentials will have been saved / stored with your permission at some previous time.

Agreeing to "trial" Amazon Prime warns you that funds will be taken if you do not cancel within a certain time period. (I think it is 30 days but it may be shorter / longer).
-
I also had a scam call purporting to be from Amazon this morning.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Mar-2020 11:05 Message #4772137
This wasn't a scam as I chased it up from an email confirming a purchase I'd made, I specifically clicked the button that said I didn't want prime and they said I had a month free anyway and I would have to activate it if I wanted to use it, I've never activated it. I do use Amazon usually at xmas and birthdays, but sometimes for the odd other purchase which is why its probably escaped me for a couple of months.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 7-Mar-2020 11:30 Message #4772141
It's ridiculous Amazon can get away with it. Sometimes, even though I know clicking to accept Prime is deviously highlighted, I have to search and scrutinise how to avoid joining Prime.

There has been a spam going about, a phishing email though to fool people into thinking they have been hacked and I was chatting with Amazon only just over a week ago and sending them the bogus email info that looked very authentic but it's source was clearly not Amazon.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire 7-Mar-2020 12:28 Message #4772147
As JustLyn says when you purchase anything from Amazon it’s very difficult to avoid signing up for Amazon Prime.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Mar-2020 18:12 Message #4772169
I think I must of got caught by saying no thanks and them deciding I didn't really mean it and hiding another no thanks to prime, or just ignoring it. Maybe I will find out who to complain to and try and kick up a fuss.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 7-Mar-2020 18:20 Message #4772171
It's easy WH. You just message them and they sort it, but it is no less frustrating that their Join Prime if heavily highlighted tab, and the No Thanks is a weak and thin line that is not easy to spot.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 7-Mar-2020 18:27 Message #4772172
A lot of people sign up for it deliberately in the run-up to Christmas so they get free postage on all their pressies.
As long as you cancel it within a month it can be a money saver....
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 7-Mar-2020 20:42 Message #4772178
I am getting those phony calls from "Amazon Prime" nearly every day and sometimes twice in a day. Every time it shows a different phone number. My phone can only block 30 numbers at a time!
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex 7-Mar-2020 21:14 Message #4772179
I think you'd be the exception if you didn't get the scam Amazon Prime account calls.

But this is different.

A while back I looked up something on Amazon. Saved it in my basket to see if a discount code I had worked for it, it didn't, so I didn't purchase the item. But then I received an email to say Thanks for signing up for your Amazon Prime free trial.
Despite then filling in numerous online forms to cancel it, I still had to go trough the online call help facility in order to get them to kill it.

What's odd is that when you actually do purchase something it takes you through to a final last chance screen to check the details before you click on purchase.
But this Amazon Prime free trial happened all by itself without any purchase or confirmation that it was what you wanted.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 7-Mar-2020 21:18 Message #4772180
That happened to me but Amazon actually didn't know about it and in spite of the email, I hadn't joined Prime.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Mar-2020 10:35 Message #4772201
I haven't had any phone calls from Amazon.

That maybe what happened to me too SG, I can't remember, I do remember not wanting prime and having to keep rejecting it on every new page that came up. It reminds of agressive BT marketing a few years ago when I found myself signed up for some account or other that would of cost me more than my normal phone bill, the woman on the end of the phone when I called to cancel it and ask why I'd been put on this plan that I'd said no to, said the sales people would ask you a question that about the only answer to was yes and take that as consent even though you'd said no to what they were selling. Its almost like amazon take as consent for prime you agree to purchase from them. I get really fed up of being pestered this way.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 12-Mar-2020 18:31 Message #4772556
Just a warning to everyone 're Amazon.

I was out with a friend this afternoon and she said she had a phone call earlier from Amazon saying she owed money, but NOT to contact her bank.

Up until that point, she said everything seemed absolutely genuine but as soon as they said that, she hung up and contacted her bank.
The bank has now reported it to the fraud squad and cancelled all her bank cards and will send through new ones.

She is not a stupid person by any means but said he just sounded so plausible .
I'm on the alert now as I do have an Amazon account, but use it very infrequently.

Just concerned for vulnerable people who can easily fall prey to these scrum bags !

Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 15-Mar-2020 07:56 Message #4772699
Just concerned for vulnerable people who can easily fall prey to these scrum bags !

We should warn others and remind them to be vigilant at every opportunity.

Incidentally Amazon do offer a fantastic service.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 15-Mar-2020 09:21 Message #4772707
….but would you be happy for Amazon to replace all the high street and / or local shops?

I do use Amazon and agree a great service but sometimes I pay just a little extra from John Lewis because of their 2 year included warranty.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 22-Mar-2020 07:48 Message #4773329
I do use Amazon and agree a great service but sometimes I pay just a little extra from John Lewis

My sentiments too.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »