Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Buncefield alarm.

Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
4-Mar-2020 10:01 Message #4771907
Today at 2.30pm Buncefield will be testing their public warning alarm. I’m guessing it will cause some panic locally although it’s obviously necessary.
I still find it hard to believe there were no casualties when the explosion occurred as it was on a Sunday morning. Almost any other time would have resulted in thousands of deaths as offices and factories were blown to pieces.

This is a public announcement.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
4-Mar-2020 14:23 Message #4771950
I remember it well CB, I live 24 miles from there and heard the explosion that morning and we could even see the plumes of smoke for several days. It was very frightening. One of my friends worked in that same road and she was terrified when she heard about it. Hope it never happens again.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
4-Mar-2020 18:36 Message #4771970
I live about a mile from the site and I have been here all day. I didn't hear the alarm.

Though I did get knocked out of bed on 11 December 2005.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
4-Mar-2020 23:21 Message #4771985
You weren’t still in bed Minnie? I’m told the alarm went off for two minutes. One minute two-tone and one minute single tone.
Female
5-Mar-2020 09:31 Message #4771993
Not yesterday, but I was when the place blew up. In retrospect, I may have heard the single tone, but thought it was a car alarm.

tbh, I'm not sure what the purpose of the alarm is. What are we supposed to do? Do we have 3 minutes to paint all the windows white and hide in the cupboard under the stairs?
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
5-Mar-2020 15:35 Message #4772016
Ah yes, I remember when the Buncefield accident occurred. I live a long way away in N E Hants but even here we could see the smoke hanging in the atmosphere. The sky above was clear but there was a distinct boundary just a couple of miles to the North of us.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
10-Sep-2020 07:44 Message #4791898
Didn't that area have an earthquake in the last couple of days?
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
10-Sep-2020 10:34 Message #4791925
You're right. There was an earthquake centred near Pitstone in Buckinghamshire (or is it Hertfordshire?) which was felt for many miles around. It was 3.9 magnitude and 10 kilometres underground.
Female
11-Sep-2020 03:47 Message #4792007
Pitstone is in Bucks. I felt the earthquake from Treacle Bumstead. I was at my desk working. It felt like a couple of almost simultaneous thumps and the house rattled a bit. I thought it was annoying builder man from next door doing something idiotic until I realised he was at work and thought to google to see if it was an earthquake.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
11-Sep-2020 07:39 Message #4792010
Thank you. Pitstone, Bucks I will try to remember that as I know it's almost surrounded by Herts!

At your desk working. No skiving for you even when working from home lol.

I visited the demolished Buncefield site several times after the explosion and even now all these years later I get a cold shiver at the thought of all the hundreds of deaths which almost certainly would have occurred at any time other than a Sunday morning.
Female
11-Sep-2020 09:54 Message #4792022
Yes, luckily everyone was still in bed, and where windows shattered, the curtains were still drawn slowing the shards of glass as they came into the room. If everyone had been up and about, there would have been terrible injuries. I have taken many photos of the aftermath. I do know someone who was on site there when it happened. He got a few seconds warning to make himself safe before it actually blew.

Help with conversations