Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Just who's running the country?

Boris, or Dominic?

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester
13-Feb-2020 15:51 Message #4770547
And if it's Dominic, does it really matter?
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
13-Feb-2020 16:36 Message #4770553
Johnson has certainly made some major changes but only time will tell if they are changes for the better.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
13-Feb-2020 16:57 Message #4770557
Nobody runs the country on their own.....

The main person is just the main person.....but often really important things come from the team...They all have their responsibilities.....and decisions that they make....
Male
Maglorian  Male  North Yorkshire
13-Feb-2020 17:52 Message #4770562
Ah, remember the good old days when we took back control from unelected bureaucrats? And now the country is being run by that unelected scruff Cummings. Absolute power without responsibility. Who would have seen that coming?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
13-Feb-2020 18:39 Message #4770565
I agree Maglorian, Javid's resigned because he was told to sack all his advisors, plus the NI secretary has been replaced to the fury of many in NI who see him as a man of integrity who got Stormont up and running again. I think Boris has made himself some powerful and potentially very disruptive enemies today, I see more Tory bloodletting on the horizon.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
13-Feb-2020 19:54 Message #4770576
oh, i do hope so.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
13-Feb-2020 21:12 Message #4770585
Who's running the country.
……………….

Boris is running the country. And maybe get rid of the Chancellor before he puts his foot in it with the budget, his cockeyed plans to reform pension tax relief. That is one area you never touch. There are other ways to balance the economy.

Boris has a plot and a plan I reckon. At least he's not an idiot like the one before him.
Male
Wandering4fun  Male  North Yorkshire
13-Feb-2020 22:07 Message #4770598
Rishi Sunak the new Chancellor of the Exchequer is a very popular man in Yorkshire and considered a good choice and improvement on his predecessor by those who know him.
Female
13-Feb-2020 22:11 Message #4770600
He is. Also very young, and I think his first posting in government, or very little experience. Straight into Chancellor of the Exchequer! Shucks. A chess move I'm sure. I'm a cynic.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
13-Feb-2020 22:46 Message #4770605
"I think Boris has made himself some powerful and potentially very disruptive enemies today,"

I bet you say that at every reshuffle, it's always been thus.
The media go bonkers over this stuff, but politics is a brutal business and the funniest thing was reading John McDonnell tweeting that the government was in chaos just two months after the election - a less relevant person it would be hard to find...
Female
14-Feb-2020 10:43 Message #4770652
But its not every reshuffle you relegate many of your main supporters to the back benches, Andrea Leadsom, Esther McVey, Sajid Javid, Julian Smith and Geoffrey Cox and others who've previously been supportive of him. Do you expect them to all go off quietly and not get in a huddle and be disruptive?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
14-Feb-2020 10:50 Message #4770655
With an 80 seat majority I doubt Johnson cares much.
If you look at previous reshuffles under previous PM's I'm sure you'd find similar situations.
There is still no opposition to speak of, Labour are like a dead party walking with another month or more before they choose a new leader and the Lib Dems are a waste of space.
There's only the SNP and all they are interested in is independence, they are a one trick pony with the damaging Alec Salmond sex assault case coming up very soon.
Johnson is on an extended honeymoon....
Male
Tramontana  Male  Greater Manchester
14-Feb-2020 11:57 Message #4770670
"Boris has a plot and a plan..."

I do believe that it's actually Dominic who has the plots and plans, as opposed to Ms Symonds, who merely throws around pots and pans.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
14-Feb-2020 11:58 Message #4770672
I don’t think anyone will be dictating to Boris about any plans.

Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon
14-Feb-2020 16:42 Message #4770700
Gilpin..."At least he's not an idiot like the one before him"

Are you absolutely sure about that?
Female
14-Feb-2020 17:01 Message #4770704
hahaha … come on. If nothing else he's a notable academic. Latin, greek and a 'scholarship' to Eton, they're not easy subjects. Scholarship to Balliol colleg. And London thrived when he was mayor.

Mrs May, oh dear, no comment. She didn't even succeed in keeping us in. Or out for that matter.
Female
14-Feb-2020 19:02 Message #4770716
Funny how being an academic qualifies you for high public office, when many see academic qualifications as a distraction from the "real" world. Its also funny that I was thinking last night about Boris and his classical education and his allusions to the classical world, I wonder if he see's himself as a modern day Caesar? If he does he needs to remember that Caesar was stabbed by all the enemies he'd made in the Senate, personally I think he's more a Mark Antony, a hedonistic shag bandit with ideas above his abilities.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
14-Feb-2020 19:15 Message #4770720
Agree WH, some politicians believe they are actually intelligent?

But people like Cummings actually are clever, that's the main difference.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
14-Feb-2020 19:21 Message #4770722
Agree WH, some politicians believe they are actually intelligent?

But people like Cummings actually are clever, that's the main difference.
Female
14-Feb-2020 19:36 Message #4770725
Funny how being an academic qualifies you for high public office, when many see academic qualifications as a distraction from the "real" world.
………………………….

Perhaps a dunce then would be more suitable than tested ability.

As for the real world that relies on a sound economy, thriving business, stability in the market, etc.etc. Or the real world might collapse into unemployment, lower wages, stagnation and a fall in the standard of living.

Being a classics student I daresay he knows Julius Caesar backwards.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
14-Feb-2020 20:08 Message #4770731
I really don’t like Boris but nobody can deny he is a clever guy and capable politician which is a rarity these days. He was a good and popular London mayor.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
14-Feb-2020 20:41 Message #4770737
I think Boris is doing it right. He is taking charge and leading the country out of the quagmire that we have been in since the Blair years. It wont happen overnight, and there will always be negative criticsim . He maybe a trifle unconventional compared with what we have had previously, but up until now, the last few leaders appear to have been sitting on the fence, whereas Boris appears to be jumping off and getting stuck in. Its about time we have a leader who is leading. Lets give him a chance and drop the apathy.
Female
15-Feb-2020 11:27 Message #4770767
No I don't think a dunce would do it better, but I've met some academic high achievers who are really stupid when it comes to every day life, they can barely take care of themselves. I was pointing out that when things like education are discussed in a thread of its own there are many who denigrate any form of scholarship, who see academics as airy fairy, don't live in "the real world", people who've never got their hands dirty etc. Now I don't know where you stand on this Gilpin, but I was merely flagging it up. You obviously like Boris, I think he'd be an interesting person at a dinner party, but he's got a long way to go to prove himself to me to be anything other than a self serving glory seeker.

People who've worked with Boris have all said he's not a details man, he's good on the big picture and talks up a good game, which is all wll and good but delievering stuff in the real world requires attention to detail as well as a grasp on the big picture. I think the Tories and the rest of us, have gone from May who had a good grasp of details but not the bigger picture, to Boris who seems the opposite
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
15-Feb-2020 11:50 Message #4770775
'Who's running the country and does it really matter?'

Well, if we are to accept our system(s) of choosing, and accept boris was chosen as leader of the tory party, which then was chosen as the major party in a general election - meaning they form the government - then yes, I would say it does matter.

On the point of boris, (and tories in general, and I accept I am biaised) and his academic achievements, would we prefer a dunce or someone who has proven academic/educational qualifications? personally I would prefer someone who cares, someone who has ability to care and stand for the good of all, not just for the self serving few who get their kicks from robbing the rest of the population and who see the majority as being simply 'oiks' and good for nothing, you don't need an eton education for that.
So in short, boris was the person elected, boris is the person who should ultimately make the decisions, boris is the one who should be seen to be running the country, boris is the one who should carry the can when it all goes tits up.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
15-Feb-2020 21:16 Message #4770809
Johnson likes and always wanted the power, he doesn't have the strategy though, so he brings in Cummings who is a determined strategist with a long-term vision of what he (Cummings) wants.

As long as Johnson keeps the power, Cummings will be allowed to run the strategy. Cummings is also power-hungry but has no loyalty, he will walk if he is blocked.

SQL

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations