Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Fly tipping on an industrial scale.

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 13-Feb-2020 07:44 Message #4770474
It’s now being run by organised crime for big money.

How would you tackle this problem?
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 13-Feb-2020 09:44 Message #4770484
OMG ...whats happening to this country ??

This is something I have never seen abroad, and I am widely travelled...
Maybe because they have stricter laws...I don't know.

On my walk around my town, there is a certain spot outside a block of converted flats, which is not only littered by empty cans and cigarette ends( that I'm convinced people just open their Windows and tip out) but has always got fridges, sofas and various other furniture dumped on the pavement.

Eventually the council will collect them and take them to the local refuge yard.
This then impacts on our council tax and everyone, suffers the cost.

It's totally wrong, but I really don't know the answer.
People do it because there is no deterrent, they won't pay the charge that the council imposes to collect, they have no means of transportation to take it to the skip, or they're just downright lazy and have no respect for the environment or their town.

Someone in my street left a three piece suite outside their house.
I phoned the council to check wether it had been reported and was waiting to be picked up, but it wasn't on their system.
The receptionist just casually said they would pick it up....as simple as that, no questions asked....
Council tax up again.

There is no way to police it because they go unseen, there is no proof of who's doing it and it's never in the same place !

No one as far as I'm aware, has come up with an answer, so we will continue to be one huge tipping ground !
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 13-Feb-2020 11:08 Message #4770497
One of the things I notice is the increase in fly tipping during the summer months, we have very good recycling, tips and council collections of large items, it dosen't seem to happen in the winter months or at the begining and end of the tourist season, which suggests its people who holiday here rather than live here.

The fines councils are able to give out for fly tipping are ridiculous in comparrison to the size of the problem, more proportinate penalties are needed.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 13-Feb-2020 12:02 Message #4770504
Sadly that's not the case in my town HEN -- wish it was.

Sometimes, however, when I no longer want items that I consider too nice and charity shops won't take,
E.g.....rugs
I leave them at the bottom of my driveway, but never on the public path, they are taken, very quickly, and I'm happy to help others out.

I know when I've had to set up home from scratch, several times I would gave been grateful for it.

Larger items, if I can't manage myself my ex partner will take in his truck to the refuge centre.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 13-Feb-2020 15:29 Message #4770540
When the recycling centres started charging for non-household goods it didn’t affect many people but the amount of scaremongering on social media was phenomenal with people asking if they could dump their bed or armchair etc without charge because the scaremongering has made them think they would have to pay when this was not the case. I’m sure some of these people may have fly-tipped unnecessarily.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 13-Feb-2020 15:39 Message #4770542
Even DIY type waste if taken to my local tip in a private car incurs very significant charges so sadly the Council are in part to blame for people's changing behaviour.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 13-Feb-2020 15:45 Message #4770545
I’ve managed to take must DIY waste in as household rubbish but for things such as sinks and boilers there is a charge.
But it’s not every day I do DIY.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 13-Feb-2020 16:00 Message #4770550
No not a daily occurrence - but Guildford Tip charges £4 per single item for bricks/blocks/fence posts etc

I am more than certain that costs them more in long run to pick up flytipped stuff
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 13-Feb-2020 16:38 Message #4770554
If DIYers suddenly change from law abiding citizens to criminals who don’t care about the environment. I don’t believe that is the case.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 13-Feb-2020 16:49 Message #4770555
Those charges also apply for all the builders where the householder has not funded a skip.

My nearest tip also mandates proving local residence every time you attend - and as I am on a border my "allowed" tip is a 20 mile round trip - 4 times the trip to my nearest one.

Much of the serious fly tipping is no doubt unlicenced waste carriers who undercut the licenced sector by dumping stuff anywhere they think they can get away with.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 13-Feb-2020 16:51 Message #4770556
You can see a lot of the fly tipping has been tipped straight off a small tipper truck. Often in the middle of the road down country lanes.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 13-Feb-2020 18:49 Message #4770568
The ones I feel sorry for are those who've got someone in to clear waste and have pid them in good faith only to find weeks later that their rubbish has been fly tipped and some identifying piece of paper has given their address and they get prosecuted for the whole lot.

I think councils like Boydel's only have themselves to blame for fly tipping if they make it so hard for people to legally dump stuff, surely it would be better and cheaper to scrap the charges? One of the things I like about the tip here is they post monthly figures on a board near the exit how much they managed to recycle, I think they break down a lot of stuff and sort it out and sell it on for scrap.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 13-Feb-2020 18:58 Message #4770570
Yes Hen - it's £4 for a single brick!
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 13-Feb-2020 20:25 Message #4770579
Liverpool City Council are amazing with rubbish and recycling collections, fr bins furniture etc and the tip is free for car loads

Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 13-Feb-2020 21:18 Message #4770587
That’s very expensive BOYDEL. The general price for rubble and bricks is £2.50 per 25 litre bag.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 13-Feb-2020 21:23 Message #4770591
One sack with 10 bricks is £10 - pro rate cheaper but far dearer than your neatly packed 25 litre sack.
Ten loose items are £4 each
Tried to upload the screenshot of official list but site seems not to accept
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 13-Feb-2020 21:30 Message #4770594
I have the official list of chargeable items and a price list on my iPad. :)
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 13-Feb-2020 21:39 Message #4770596
OK but surely it differs with each Council?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 13-Feb-2020 22:30 Message #4770602
my local council show no interest in catching the tippers.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 13-Feb-2020 22:30 Message #4770603
I’m sure they do differ in charges but I’ve no personal knowledge other than those local to me. I do think that a bag of rubble or bricks is classed as one item.
Honest people will not start dumping rubbish by the roadside. The dumping is by professionals.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »