Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

New laws to give more protection to children online.

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London
13-Feb-2020 07:43 Message #4770473
Much needed? Do they go far enough? Are Ofcom the best choice to oversee this?
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire
13-Feb-2020 08:06 Message #4770478
Much needed. Children do need more protection from grooming and bullying online. Both have led to misery and even suicides. I heard an NSPCC spokesman say this too and approved of the new regulations.
Our school gives talks in the evenings where parents can come along with their children and discuss matters they are concerned about. This has proven an extremely popular activity.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
13-Feb-2020 10:48 Message #4770491
They are much needed and OFFCOM need proper enforcement powers not cosmetic ones, they need to be able to really hammer offenders, I quite like the Australian law, charge offending companies 10% of their global income and hold chief executives criminally accountable. If chief executives have no incentive to protect users of their platforms, then they are complicit in things like the grooming of children by paedophiles, the bullying, the body shaming, holocaust denial, terrorist platforms and all sorts of nasty, dangerous horrible stuff. Ordinary people would be prosecuted, serious questions asked by serious people with serious powers about what they knew, when they knew it, what they did with the knowlege etc, why should corporates get away with it?
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
13-Feb-2020 10:54 Message #4770494
Couldn't agree more with RAACH,
and HEN.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire
13-Feb-2020 15:33 Message #4770541
Any legislation which makes our children safer must be a good thing and any system can be improved upon once it’s up and running. Your school sounds good Raach and getting parents and children to come in to discuss their concerns is a great achievement.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire
13-Feb-2020 23:23 Message #4770607
Tsunamiwarrior. We have plenty of extracurricular activities from dancing and art to discussion groups on bullying, racism and child safety. They are well attended and do a lot of good.
Male
Declan  Male  Cheshire
15-Feb-2020 22:49 Message #4770819
A recent report said 25% of under 6s had a smartphone. In many cases parents are quite naive and do not monitor the phone usage. Whilst I agree that legislation for service providers is needed I firmly believe the first responsibility belongs with the person that gives them the phone. There are numerous apps that monitor or control usage yet they are invariably not used. Educating the parents is essential and I am pleased that many schools make attempts to engage parents in this way.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon
16-Feb-2020 08:05 Message #4770831
W'Hen..."hold chief executives criminally accountable"

That sounds perfectly reasonable, after all, the ompany / CE can be criminally liable if a company lacks in its Health & Safety and one of its drivers kills someone on the road. Much of my work as a driving Instructor involved going into companies and providing driver training to those that had to drive as part of their job.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
16-Feb-2020 08:38 Message #4770834
Every piece of legislation which helps in any way is worthwhile.
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire
16-Feb-2020 11:36 Message #4770864
In our local school parents don't even come to discuss how their children are doing educationally, to hear about the year 6 and year 2 SATS tests and the Year 6 week away so they wouldn't come in for other things, however they're very quick to moan on Facebook regardless of whether it's their own fault or not. I think they think school is clairvoyant somtiems.

Help with conversations