Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

A big big question

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
9-Feb-2020 14:59 Message #4770203
Has mankind evolved at all over the last thousand years or so? what do you think?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
9-Feb-2020 18:30 Message #4770216
I don't think we have physically changed, our body's are still the same basic stone age model,so are our brains, what has changed is the effect we're having on the world around us, we are changing lots of things, but fundamentally we're unchanged. You could take a 21st C baby and take it back in time and give it to a stone age family and it would grow up to be a perfectly normal member of that society and you could do the reverse too. There are plenty of people living a "stone age" life, either by circumstance or choice and at all stages in between a hunter gatherer existance and the high tech one we live in.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
9-Feb-2020 18:34 Message #4770217
Yes and no, too many things to ponder.
A good post Terry.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
9-Feb-2020 18:56 Message #4770221
I think we've evolved in many ways.....some hardly noticeable at the moment,and may take thousands/millions of years to really become noticeable.....others fairly noticeable...Generally taller for instance.....Living longer
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
10-Feb-2020 09:22 Message #4770263
We have evolved. You only have to look at our eating, drinking and social habits to see that.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
10-Feb-2020 17:52 Message #4770307
Tumbled

I think humans are now usually a fair bit taller due to adequate food.

Longer lives derive from combo of eradicating the 50% child mortality we had up to late 19thC - that being due to lack of proper sanitation and resultant infections - as well as modern medical advances which can now prolong lives for decades even after diagnosis of a potentially fatal condition.

In 1948 when NHS was introduced only 37% of the cohort born 60 yrs earlier in 1888 had survived to age 60 and that 60 plus cohort on average lived only a relative handful of yrs beyond that (though there would be the outliers who survived far longer and vice versa).

IIRC free cigarettes were given to the troops in WW2 and in mid 20thC most adults were smokers - but better education and higher tax rates have cut down smoking to around 25% of UK pop - as well as smoking ban in enclosed public places.

In psychological terms humans retain the Fight/Flight response - which can have major negative impacts in modern era.
Neanderthal man etc when physically readied for either fight or flight (boosted blood pressure/pulse rate and blood fats boosted to nourish muscles) usually burnt up that damaging cholesterol boost - whereas "modern man" in say the workplace daily has to bite their lip if they have a nightmare boss or impossible deadlines to meet - hence the many millions being treated for hypertension/raised lipids/stress.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
10-Feb-2020 18:46 Message #4770310
Neanderthals are a seperate hominid branch to to us and what used to be known as Cro-Magnon humans who are descended from, many "modern" humans have some Neanderthal genes, somewhere between 1 and 5% for most Europeans. Other modern humans have some Denisovan genes, Denisovans were another hominid group modern humans mated with, these genes give some groups, particularly Nepalese the ability to live in low oxygen environments. There are traces of other now extinct hominid DNA in many people from sub-saharan Africa, although we don't have any fosil records for them other than "fosil DNA". I think every creature has a fight/flight mechanism, none of want to be eaten by predators, caught up in natural disasters etc, I think we just don't know how our more recent ancestors dealt with things that caused a fight/flight response. We do know from records kept by Arabic doctors that soldiers returning from the 3rd crusade, the one with Saladin and Richard the Lionheart suffered from what we now call PTSD, they described its symptoms and causes and suggested treatments many of which sound groundbreakingly modern like gardening and spending time with nature.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
10-Feb-2020 21:10 Message #4770334
We evolving all the time. The human race is beocming more perfect & beautiful all the time. We strive for perfection. I wonder what will happen when eventually, everyone looks the same , cos it WILL happen
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
10-Feb-2020 21:10 Message #4770335
We evolving all the time. The human race is beocming more perfect & beautiful all the time. We strive for perfection. I wonder what will happen when eventually, everyone looks the same , cos it WILL happen

Help with conversations